£100 to spend what would you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jan 28, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am hoping if business has been like it has been in the last few days I will have a little bit of money to spend for the first time in a good year.

My HIFI has been neglected due to a lack of funds.

If you had £100 how would you upgrade this?

Marantz CD6000 OSE LE cd player
    Marantz PM6010 OSE amp
    Rotel RC870 preamp
    Eltax Monitor III speakers
    Sony ST300 tuner (never used)
    Beyerdynamic DTX900 headphones
    Project Debut II turntable
    Decent cables
    Home made but effective HIFI furniture.

Personaly think the sources are fine, I want to upgrade the output stage, I don't use the speakers much so I wonder if buying a chineese important valve headphone amp from ebay would be a wise investment? If not I guess I can get some new speakers.

If I was to get new speakers I would have to buy some new stands as my current ones are designed for my speakers.

amazingtrade, Jan 28, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I wouldn't.

I'd put it to the side and wait till you have a bit MOre available then invest in speakers.

However, you've said you don't listen to much through your speakers, so maybe that wouldn't be right for you.

MO!, Jan 28, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

AlexTaylor

about £100 worth of Cds

AlexTaylor, Jan 28, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Upgrade the Speakers.

Save some more money and get a pair of 2nd hand Epos ES14 or ES11/12. We recently dusted off our ancient ES11's and they still spank the butt of pretty much any comers in their class, but especially the various Opera Eric Speakers and ATC SCM7 & 12.

Meanwhile you may wish to consider to have a look inside these Eltax things and check out the crossovers. Some upgrades in crossover components may be a good idea, Eltax has the nasty habit of using a lot electrolytic capacitors in their crossovers where they are very inapropriate.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 28, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

You're running your own business... Keep that money, you WILL need it.

I-S, Jan 28, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

You're wise but I may drop dead tomorrow:mad: I have been so careful all year I just want to buy somthing I cannot afford for a change.

On the other hand I will need savings for the tax man:)

amazingtrade, Jan 28, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

Speakers, definitely...not a fan of Eltax, having heard a mates Monitor 3s...admittedly run off a crappy source and amp, but nonetheless.....your source and amp are better quality than the Monitor IIIs, IMHO.

Will, Jan 29, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

Stuart

AT - 100 won't get you much of an upgrade. If you want to splurge, then go buy a pile of records or CDs - particularly some that are a bit different to what you normally listen to. Probably the best value you will get.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Jan 29, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

Markus S Trade

Save a bit more, sell your CDP and buy a SB3 - get some experience with it at home and you'll have a new skill to sell.

Markus S, Jan 29, 2006
  10. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

No no NO! ES14s are the most infuriating speakers I've ever owned - they need really expensive sources and amps to sound "right" - otherwise they're just a bit dull and matter of fact. I'd take Dynaudio 52s other ES14s any day of the week, and did, in a swap with a colleague.

Even ES11s might be too revealing for that system (it's not your sources AT, just that Epos like caviar!).

domfjbrown, Jan 30, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

AlexTaylor

Further to my above post, a different combination would be £10 on a reasonable bottle of wine and £90 on CDs.

AlexTaylor, Jan 30, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

If it were me I'd spend £24 on 6 bottles of one of Tesco's better wine offers, Hardy's Crest or the Kumala one, and spend the rest in the Simply Vinyl sale or just a random punt at Piccadilly Records

lordsummit, Jan 30, 2006
  13. amazingtrade

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Most of us tend to forget this upgrade !

Levi_501, Jan 30, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

if you change anything I'd say speakers.. but I'd also reccomend keeping the money if you've just started up in business.. anything can go wrong - car repairs for example.

bottleneck, Jan 30, 2006
  15. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well i got my MS10i's for £50 and they sound brilliant for that money - they certainly shame my old £300 Mission M51's and are almost certainly as good as my old Rega Ela's.

PBirkett, Jan 30, 2006
  16. amazingtrade

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Don't buy Kumala wine! There's Sainsbury's Chilean Sierra Blanca on sale for half price at the moment - very nice young semillon :)) Then put your speakers on for sale. You don't listen to them anyway. Keep saving untill someone buys them. And then hunt for some better speakers. And btw, why do you need both Rotel preamp and Marantz integrated? How about selling Marantz and buying some good cheap used power amp, like Quad 303 or 306?

Nomoretweaks, Jan 30, 2006
  17. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Kumala at Tesco's last week, reduced from £7.99 to £3.99. Went down a treat. Very nice velvety blackcurrants and vanilla flavourings

lordsummit, Jan 30, 2006
  18. amazingtrade

Looking at the accounts I haven't realised just how much I have spent, so it looks like the £100 will be going into my current account so I can avoid going into the red :(

Hopefully in 6 months time I will have a part time job as well so I will have money to spend on luxeries.

amazingtrade, Jan 30, 2006
  19. amazingtrade

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I don't think the PM6010 has enough grunt to drive some Dyn 52's which are quite a tricky load... Out of your system, i would look to upgrade the speakers 1st, you can really get much better ones for around £100 but save up abit more and things get better still. I think some Mission 780's would be a very good bet. Can be had for sub £150 and they sound extremely sweet and open. Should suit your Marantz stuff well as i used to ownn both your amp and cdp. Even some £60 mission m71i will sound much better than the eltax's-before my B&Ws arrived i used them with my MF kit and they sounded awesome:eek: excellent VFM IMO

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Jan 30, 2006
  20. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

a friend had some Eltax Monitor 3s and they sounded pretty reasonable to be fair. I did find him a pair of Kef CODA 8s for a tenner though which whipped their ass. imo if you can find a bargain that'd be fine but i too would start putting that money into savings.

Rory, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question