£1500 for an LP!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Nov 18, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Nov 18, 2003
  2. michaelab

Bill Phabb

hahha what a wanker but then again we have all seen items go at silly prices

Bill Phabb, Nov 18, 2003
  3. michaelab

Sid and Coke

I suppose that if there where only 12 copies of the record and that they where quite exclusively pressed , then maybe the item could have a lot of value to a collector. I think that starting the bidding high always puts people off. in fact i don't think that it just puts people off , i reckon that it actually pisses people off , that might normally have bidded. People more often than not visit e-bay in the hope of picking up a cheap s/h bargain, although we all know that is not very often the case. Far better to start it low, set a high reserve than see how the bidding goes. You can then sit down, have a rethink, of what you can reasonably expect and then re-list it. If it sells second time around and makes the reserve i think you get the listing for free. This is an approach i often take myself if I'm not in a major rush to sell something.

I have the more common blue vinyl version, orange looks kinda neat though.

Aren't records great !?

Edited to add:
    I lied, I just checked and my copy is on normal black vinyl. My copy of the Mr Blue Sky single is on blue though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2003
    Sid and Coke, Nov 18, 2003
  4. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Christ! That's almost as much as the REAL rarest record - one of only two copies of "Stormy weather" by the Five Sharps on 78. Oh - and one of those copies is cracked!

ELO for £1500 - do me a favour... Now if that was 15 copies of NOW4 on CD I'd buy it - triple your money on Ebay no problem....

domfjbrown, Nov 19, 2003
  5. michaelab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

There seems to be at least 6 copies of this 78. One went for $3866 in 1977. Another copy was up to $19,990 on ebay before it was withdrawn. Someone turned down $25000 for one copy.

Now where's my copy. :D

I'm not so sure about the ELO record. The price did start way to high on that ebay sale. Had a lot of people looking.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 19, 2003
  6. michaelab

Sid and Coke

Whether it's an urban myth or not i don't know, but i seem to remmeber that another rare record of note was called 1987- What the F**k is going on ? ( or words to that effect) , by the KLF.
    I think there where 4 and a half copies of this one. 4 normal ones and another that had been shaped into an ashtray !
    I think that the reason that the record was withdrawn was because it contained an unauthorised sample of an ABBA single and they (abba) took legal action to have all copies destroyed.

Sid and Coke, Nov 19, 2003
  7. michaelab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The KLF album "What the F**k is going on" feature samples from likes of The Beatles & ABBA. most of the copies were meant to have been distroyed but 5 were kept back. These were advertised in the Face magazine for £1000. I understand 3 were sold, one was given away & one was kept. There is always a chance over copies are in about. Must be worth a few bob.

A motown record by Frank Wilson called "Do I love you (indeed I do) went for £15000 a few years ago. There is only 3 copies of the original demo.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 20, 2003
  8. michaelab

Woah - I'd LOVE to hear that KLF album... - pre Time Lords as well!

Are there really that many copies of the Five Sharps one then? Blimey...

Does ANYONE know why NOW4 on CD goes for such a ripoff price? In 1984, with around 15000 (so i've heard) CDPs in use in the UK, how many copies do you reckon EMI pressed of this? It's got to be 1000 at least since it's reasonably popular tunes - unless of course most of the CDP buyers were the Saga/Hifi Snooze brigade, playing classical and "The sound of music" (one of the first RCA released CDs - oh dear... :chunder:

My copy of Brothers in arms on CD single (the first CD single in the UK) is one of only 600 (not sure if mine's the first press or one of the second run of 100) - and it's only worth around £40...

domfjbrown, Nov 20, 2003
  9. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

A lot more got out than that – I've got one! It was in the shops for a good few weeks before being withdrawn. It is a very funny album. Its in the Record Collector guide at 70 quid, so not that scarce. The JAMMS 2xLP compilation 'Shag Times' is also well worth a listen.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 20, 2003
  10. michaelab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Tony,

You are right about that. I can remember seeing copies at a few record shops at the time before it got withdrawn. I now understand the album came out in June 1987 & was deleted in Sept 1987.

I do have a number of their 12" single from that period "Whitney joins the Jams", "Downtown"& a few Disco 2000 singles. All very enjoyable.

Hi Dom,

Not sure why the Now cds are going for big money but I will look out for these.

For records & cds to go for big money, there needs to be a demand. For example, there is a big collecting scene in the world of Northern Soul, rare soul & Funk. The scene & collectors build up records. A lot of these records didn't sell much when first released or never got full a release. These records were then forgotten about until someone rediscovers them.

Records can go for very big money & people are prepared to pay that sort of money.

Here are some records which are going for big money.

http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/auction_view.htm?Mode=thisweek

I have a few friends who have travel to the states to find copies of rare soul & funk records. I must admit that I have a number of these singles. A number are worth £10 upwards.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 20, 2003
  11. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It was later reissued minus the ABBA samples and with a booklet telling you how to spin them in yourself! The liner notes and press clippings on Shag Times tell the whole story and are a hysterical read.

The KLF / JAMMS had real attitude, they were a totally cool band. If you haven't read the book 'The manual, how to have a number one the easy way' you should track a copy down, it is so funny and cynical, yet so true.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 20, 2003
  12. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2003
    sideshowbob, Nov 20, 2003
  13. michaelab

If you can find a copy of NOW4 on CD for up to £50 and can hold onto it until a payday (1st day of each month) I'll buy you several beers as well :) Likewise with NOW the christmas compact disc - up to a max of £20 on that one :)

I have 8 and 9 already, though 9's booklet is tatty, but useable.

Cheers :)

domfjbrown, Nov 20, 2003
  14. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

wasn't there a Robert Johnson recording that went for the highest aMOunt ever payed? Not sure if it was the rarest or not though.

MO!, Nov 20, 2003
Ask a Question