~£1500 turntable that can match Pink Tringle Anni?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

I've got an old Pink Triangle Export that's a bit knackered (something wrong with the motor/PSU). I'm holding off on getting it fixed until I can afford the Funk Firm Vector/Anniversary upgrade at £1500+labour. Since that is a serious old chunk o' cash, I was wondering if anyone thought there was anything else out there on the market for equivalent money that would give the fully Funked up Anniversary deck a run for its money? The main drawback with the Pink are the build (which is pretty flimsy) and the reliability, which although I expect would be significantly improved after the going-over from Funk, is still likely to be rather worse than a lot of other TT decks. I'd love to have one of the big, sturdy, battleship-build type decks - but only if the sound was roughly on a par with the Anni.

Any suggestions? Happy to buy 2nd hand, as long as it's in good condition - though brand new would be appealling (again, for reliability reasons)...

Cheers,
    Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 4, 2010
  2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

FYI current kit is in sig, and the vinyl-related ancillaries are likely to stay that way indefinitely, except perhaps the arm which I'd like to get upgraded sometime in the nearish future.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 4, 2010
  3. dunkyboy

darrylfunk

i have a similar predicament , my pt too has died and i want the rebuild upgrade but its so expensive.
    but i will say this its about the very best deck i have heard and i have heard a lot.
    a good cheapy to keep you in love with the pt sound would be a funk deffo.they come up second hand now.
    next best thing would be an old systemdek with psu and acrylic platter.
    big massy decks may send you to a snore fest and stop you listening to stuff but by all means try a notts analogue , they are simple battleship build decks that are easy on the ear.

the little roksan is good fun the radius 5 / nima combo.

darrylfunk, Jan 4, 2010
  4. dunkyboy

nando nando

the new project is awesome, have a look at the pics that we took (tenson) at the silverstone show,
    nando.

nando, Jan 4, 2010
  5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Which new Pro-Ject is that..?

dunkyboy, Jan 5, 2010
  6. dunkyboy

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Mmm, how about a nice LP12 with new motor and Hercules controller, Naim Aro arm, Linn Troika Cartirdge, Carbon fibre top plate and damped subchassis.

Sounds as unlike a Linn LP12 as you'll ever hear, tonally accurate, tight, expressive and as dry as a witches tit. None of that tea chest bass boom they are so loved for.

£1450 with cart, less if you don't want it.

sq225917, Jan 8, 2010
  7. dunkyboy

topoxforddoc

Used Thorens TD124 or Garrard 301/401 in a decent plinth will be a very suitable alternative. If you're big into rock music, get the Garrard, if you prefer more lyrical music, get the Thorens.

Charlie

topoxforddoc, Jan 9, 2010
Ask a Question