£4K System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gulliver, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Gulliver

Gulliver

Have been asked by a friend to recommend some systems worth auditioning within a £4K budget.

Must include:

CD Player
    Turntable
    Amp
    Speakers
    All interconnects
    Rack and Speaker stands.

Person would prefer all new and more likely a one make solution.

Have considered Quad, among others as an approach, but I don't have the listening experience to offer an opinion that takes into account system synergy. (Most of my knowlege is limited to magazine reading and occassional forum browsing).

Can you offer any help?

Criteria is:

"I want to feel like the musicians are in the room, and it's got to have good, tuneful bass".

Listens to a lot of classical and jazz, but taste is otherwise eclectic.

Have considered throwing the new Vincent amp into the mix from what I've read. Anyone heard it?

Gulliver, Mar 6, 2007
  2. Gulliver

nando nando

hi one view of the criteria from my point of view, t/t as a great value is the :pROJECT X-PACK,includes xperience ortofon rondo red and mk1 speed box, £650.00, M.F. A5 INT. AMP, M.F. A3.5 CD, PRO-AC TABLETTE REFERENCE 8 ,SPKRS, ATACAMA RACK AND STANDS AND AUDUSA INTERCONNECTS, ALL I CAN DO FOR UNDER 4K, REGARDS NANDO.

nando, Mar 6, 2007
  3. Gulliver

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Arcam FMJ would top my list for the electronics at this price.

As for speakers, there are lots of good ones in this price range and it depends very much on taste. He'll just have to dem some. I would stick with my Triangle Celius Esw. With a system discount that ought to leave enough for a decent silver interconnect (Krystal Cables Sterling 2 or equiv.). Speaker cable can be Van Damme for starters, pure silver later.

All IMHO :D

technobear, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Gulliver

Graham B

Hi,

What about Rega, I feel they make very good value kit. You could play around within the budget depending on which is the primary source. One make system from source to speakers.

Regards,

Graham

Graham B, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

I doubt you will get the best sound for your money by going with a one brand system.

I think I would go for the Project pack Nando suggested for a turntable.

For the rest I would go with a nice looking but cheap CD player as a digital transport like the Tangent CDP100 from RicherSounds! For a DAC I would use one of my AudioSmile modified Behringer DEQ2496. More reasons for this combination later* ;)

For amp I would choose something high quality but simple like the BelCanto S300, Arcam FMJ A32 or a Cyrus 8 with PSX-R.

Then, you have a big load of cash to spend on some very good speakers. Sorry, but since CD took over from Vinyl 'source first' is dead. You want to get the best speakers you can. For ~£1600 you have a good choice. The LSA 2's would be my choice but are a little bit out of budget. Monitor Audio do some nice floorstanders in the Signature range. There are many others out there though, just ask for suggestions.

*Now, the reason I suggest this combination rather than a standard good CD player is because you mentioned he wanted good bass. The sad fact of the matter, however, is that you are very unlikely to get really good bass performance when you have a room interfering with the sound and resonating away at different frequencies. Hence, the modified DEQ suggestion that can automatically help correct for the room interactions in the bass range. The modified part, because it makes the sound quality top-notch and on par with any CD player you could get for about £1k.

Hope that helps!

Tenson, Mar 6, 2007
  6. Gulliver

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

classical?

I'd start with some second hand quad 989's for £2k. There's some on hififorsale.

Nottingham Analogue Interspace /Rega RB300/ Clearaudio - used tt and arm, new cart - £600.

You could go with a Prima Luna valve amp and a Quad CDP.

Seriously, if he's well into Classical, he should hear some Quad stats before making his mind up.

It's do-able if he goes second hand.

(even more do-able with used 57's and 63's)

bottleneck, Mar 6, 2007
  7. Gulliver

Jimbo

Would definitely think about the Behringer as Tenson says. I have the unmodded version and it really does sort out any room problems. Surprisingly good dac inside too, so with a decent transport and Tenson's mods a top notch source. Zanash's cables would bring it all to life.
    Turntable's sorry not much help i'm afraid don't have one.
    Speakers you really need to go and listen to as many as you can in your budget and have home trials. Me i'm thinking of the diy route from Wilmslow Audio. Jim.

Jimbo, Mar 6, 2007
  8. Gulliver

tuga

tuga, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Gulliver

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Seconded, One make from start to finish, Superb sound for £ and excellent build quality.

Levi_501, Mar 7, 2007
  10. Gulliver

johnhunt recidivist

any more advertising from nando?

me i'd go second hand and avoid the 'retailers' who surf this space for free and don't provide much in terms of value in the process

johnhunt, Mar 7, 2007
  11. Gulliver

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd reccomend second hand too.

I stand by my reccomendation for a classical lover to try electrostatics. They are easily affordable in a 4k package.

Classical (to these ears) sounds best on systems capable of full-scale reproduction of an orchestra and a flat frequency response.

That is, if he/she likes large orchestral pieces rather than chamber music for example.

A good 'start' is a hifi show - I know it's fashionable to knock them - but where else can you get a glimpse of every technology available today all in a single afternoon?

*NB you mention the 'vincent' amp. These are a chinese import amp which are re-badged as Vincent for the European market. Nothing wrong with that, they are very good. Try to avoid high retailer mark-ups however, if you want new I'd reccomend the Chinese originals, or used Vincent is commonly available in Europe too.

bottleneck, Mar 7, 2007
  12. Gulliver

tuga

Yep, second hand is the way to go.

I have recently bought a used Shigaraki DAC and a used Shigaraki amp, both for half price.

The pair puts a recently auditioned Meridian combo to (musical) shame.

tuga, Mar 7, 2007
  13. Gulliver

nando nando

F.y.i. Johnhunt, I Have Donated £50.00 A Year To This Site, Dance A Yard Before You Dance Abroad. Nando.

nando, Mar 8, 2007
  14. Gulliver

Dev Moderator

Hitting below the belt Joseph. The donation was purely voluntary and cannot be seen as a ticket to flout the rules.

Let's confine the ads to the Trade Section please, then John won't have any reason to complain.

Dev, Mar 8, 2007
  15. Gulliver

nando nando

Advertising

DEV what he is referring to is my signature mentions my website, i no longer put any items for sale, nando.

nando, Mar 8, 2007
  16. Gulliver

Dev Moderator

Sorry, I edited my post while you were quoting it:).

No problem with your signature. We think it's good for traders to be identified so that their posts can be taken in perspective.

No problem with you putting ads in the Trade section either. The objection was (I think) regarding post #2 above, the "ALL I CAN DO FOR UNDER 4K" bit is clearly an ad.

Dev, Mar 8, 2007
  17. Gulliver

soundbyte

hmmmmmmm...............a bit harsh on poor old Nando: :confused:
    Joseph is one of the most expert hifi guru's I have come across - all you need do is ask for his advice and its there, always impartial.
    He is honest, reliable and probably one of the the most competively priced traders around.

soundbyte, Mar 8, 2007
  18. Gulliver

nando nando

fine dev, if that is what it looked like then recieve my apologies, but others get on selling their gear on threads, no disrespect but on this thread someone is asking for recomendation to be adviced on a system that he"or she" wishes to buy for £4k, as a dealer i can say my view as to what i would recomend, if i annoyd anybody for responding to this, then i am mistified,nando

nando, Mar 8, 2007
  19. Gulliver

Dev Moderator

I know Joseph, but you seem to have upset John for some reason:).

Dev, Mar 8, 2007
  20. Gulliver

Gromit Buffet-blower

As has been said already...

Rega. :)

Simple, fuss-free music making. If I had that budget I'd be doing the same.

Gromit, Mar 8, 2007
Ask a Question