£6-700 turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Decided to ditch my beloved Planar3; the Denon 110 cartridge and 988 electrostatics are showing up the limitations of the deck.
    Seems that the tecnodec, Clearaudio emotion, interspace and Project RPM5 are the most popular contenders. Happy to keep the RB300 arm. Without suggesting a million other decks, what are the strengths and weeknesses of these turntables?
    (not sure about the dangly bit on the end of the RPM5 tonearm though!)

pixies, Aug 10, 2007
  2. pixies

scoobs

I dont have any experience of the Project or Clearaudio, so cannot give a comparison, but I would suggest a used Michell Gyro se rather than a tecno (I've had both), you'll get the flow and prat that you got from your rega and when the bug bites you have lots of upgrade options - platter, chassis, psu etc - enough to keep you going for years until you end up with near orbe for very decent money and your rb300 will fit like a dream on a gyro.

scoobs, Aug 10, 2007
  3. pixies

the gyrodec looks good but the NAS seens to rate higher for a lot of people. Will this thing be safe on a Target wall shelf? I'm not sure what the max weight is. Does anyone know?

pixies, Aug 12, 2007
  4. pixies

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

The Gyro will be fine on a target shelf - if that's what you mean. I managed to get a fully Orbed Gyro for £800 s/h so you should get a s/h basic one well within budget. Works a treat with an RB300 Never heard a NAS though.

johnfromnorwich, Aug 12, 2007
  5. pixies

anon_bb Honey Badger

Funk V

anon_bb, Aug 12, 2007
  6. pixies

zygote23

zygote23, Aug 12, 2007
  7. pixies

not sure on the asthetics of the pro-ject. i want a deck that looks like mr spock's toilet - so to speak - less rega like.

pixies, Aug 13, 2007
  8. pixies

Hierophant

I was going to suggest a pre-owned LP12, but the above comment would rule that option out.

Hierophant, Aug 13, 2007
  9. pixies

muzzer

I have just picked up a N/A Horizon SE which used be be the N/A's budget deck before the Interspace.All I can say is I am very pleased with the results so if the Interspace is anything like the Horizon Iwould go for it.Mine has an RB250 arm and DenonDL110 cartridge and it rocks.

muzzer, Aug 14, 2007
Ask a Question