101cd - anyone else had problems?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by technobear, Oct 9, 2003.

1. technobear

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I ordered 5 CDs from 101cd on the evening of October 1st.

4 had to be placed on order but one was dispatched (or so I'm told) almost immediately.

Needless to say it hasn't arrived :(

Now 1st class post rarely takes more than a day, sometimes two. This CD has now missed 5 potential deliveries. I don't think it's gonna show up.

The question is this. Are 101cd a reputable company who generally deliver when they say they will, or are they a bit iffy?

I'd appreciate some feedback before I cancel the remainder of the order.

Cheers.

technobear, Oct 9, 2003
  2. technobear

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

The last few orders I've placed with them have taken a good 7-10 days to arrive after being despatched.

As they're based in Jersey, it's unlikely that next day delivery would happen. There's probably something on the Royal Mail site that would confirm the likelihood of next day delivery from the Channel Islands. Next day doesn't apply in some of the remote areas of Scotland either I believe.

Not sure quite why they take so long, but they've always come through. As the order was placed in the evening of the 1st, first shipping would've been on the 2nd, so they should be with you in the next couple of days I'd have though.

Can't help but wonder if they aren't victims of their own success, they used to ship really quickly.

ilockyer, Oct 9, 2003
  3. technobear

Jersey? Their website gives their address as Croydon and also states that delivery by first class mail should be expected to arrive in one or two days after dispatch.

technobear, Oct 9, 2003
  4. technobear

After the title of the CD on their page, you'll see an *. The key at the bottom says supplied by 101cd.com Online Ltd, a subsidiary of 101cd.com Ltd. A look under the T & C of 101cd Online shows this:

"101cd.com†means 101cd.com Online Limited (registered in Jersey, no: 83932 registered at 3 Old Street, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands."

ilockyer, Oct 9, 2003
  5. technobear

Robert Edgar

Yeah I have had loadsa problems with them
    I ended up cancelling an order for about 6 cds

They dispatched an order and it didn't arrive for about 2 weeks

I use amazon all the time now at least you get the order either
    next day or 2-3 days

Robert

Robert Edgar, Oct 9, 2003
  6. technobear

That's just the company registration address!

technobear, Oct 9, 2003
  7. technobear

Indeed, but it is Jersey they post from, my Pink Floyd box set arrived this lunchtime (post is very late here) and it says on the mailing address label that it shipped from Jersey. All items with the * are shipped from there, rather than by the parent company in Croydon. Incidentally, it was ordered on Friday... this is the fastest they've been in about 2 years!

ilockyer, Oct 9, 2003
  8. technobear

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've used them quite a lot and sometimes they turn up in a day or two or sometimes a couple MOre. Only had one really dragged out experience (about a week). I phoned them and got as far as "hello I made an order and it's not arrived...." When the woman I was speaking to said "I take it, it wa son so and so date?" Apparently it was a computer problem there end and they were since aware with it. Arrived a couple of days later, without having to give any details so she seemed legit.

I'd use them again.

MO!, Oct 9, 2003
  9. technobear

michaelab desafinado

Being in Jersey (outside the EU) is the way these companies like play.com etc can sell CDs and DVDs so cheap.

Most of those companies refuse to deliver to Portugal because they've had too many problems with the customs here :rolleyes: - but I find Amazon has excellent service, even if it is slightly more expensive. It's still miles cheaper than the high street.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 9, 2003
  10. technobear

HenryT

Not had any problems with 101cd.com myself and to tend to use them rather a lot (about 2 or 3 times a month). Typically, I guess delivery time is between 3-4 days, but for me that's par for the course whenever I order any music mail order. I suspect the reason for this being that I mainly order back catalog albums rather than chart stuff. In most cases the item I want is usually out of stock or needs to be ordered from the manufacturer specially. On the rare occassion that I have ordered a recent or chart release, the delivery is much sooner, maybe even next day.

It never ceases to amaze me though how cd-wow can get a CD shipped out to me from Hong Kong within 3 days - now that is very impressive. :eek: :cool:

Ordered a CD from Tesco.com on Saturday afternoon and that turned up Monday morning this week - so at least Sunday collections seem to work!!

One other thing, I've noticed recently that the post is getting very slow these days. Have been expecting several pieces of non-commercial mail which either haven't turned up yet or took several days. Is there a go slow or unofficial set of postal worker strikes happening in London at the moment or something as all the post I'm expecting originates from London?

HenryT, Oct 10, 2003
  11. technobear

Yep, 'fraid so. There was one this (?) week and it looks like there's going to be another - see http://www.royalmailgroup.com/contactus/customerupdate.asp

ilockyer, Oct 10, 2003
  12. technobear

andy c! Z Cars Rule!

Have you tried Play.com
    I've used them alot and they are always thru my door no later than 5 days after ordering provided the CD is in stock...
    Never used 101cd.com

andy c!, Oct 10, 2003
  13. technobear

robs

Used them a lot. Very keen prices. Never had any problems - it's not next day delivery, but they've always turned up within a few days.

robs, Oct 10, 2003
  14. technobear

Well my CD still hasn't turned up :mad:

101cd refuse to do anything about it until the 16th so we'll see what happens then.

At least they have confirmed cancellation of the other 4 CDs I ordered and these show as cancelled on the website.

I don't think I'll be ordering from them again as I don't feel I can trust them. The postal worker shenanigans wouldn't cause this much delay. I'm not convinced the CD was shipped. Nothing else has ever gone missing in the post.

technobear, Oct 10, 2003
  15. technobear

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Curious, why the 16th?

MO!, Oct 11, 2003
  16. technobear

Because they spin some bullshit about having to wait 15 days before they can make a claim against the Post Office.

This of course is irrelevant under British consumer law as my contract is with 101cd, not the Post Office.

From my perspective 101cd have taken my money and failed to supply the goods. Whether they are at fault or whether the Post Office are at fault is open to question but is also irrelevant as regards my contract with 101cd.

technobear, Oct 11, 2003
  17. technobear

HenryT

If you really like shopping around for the best price, I'd always cross check the CD you want with both sites, as I've often found one can be cheaper than the other depending on the CD. 101cd.com also have regular multi-buy offers or selections of CD at say £5 a go.

Hmm, I've just checked my archived email folder and it seems that I'm suffering from a bit of delay too with orders from 101cd. Got emails on the 7th and 8th Oct respectively telling me that CDs have been despatched, yet still nothing in this morning's post. Also, a CD I ordered on 3rd Oct has yet to be confirmed despatched/in-stock - and this was a Pink Floyd CD that was featured in one of their recent promotions - vicitms of their own success maybe? :rolleyes:

16th Oct, that's when the next London postal strike is, according to the article that ilockyer posted a link to above, but don't see what that has to do with 101cd fulfilling current orders! :confused:

HenryT, Oct 11, 2003
  18. technobear

Good news! My CD from 101cd turned up on Saturday morning!

And yes, it did come from Jersey.

Why on Earth don't they make it clear on the website that the CDs come from Jersey and so it is perfectly normal for them to take ten days to arrive after dispatch, instead of giving people the false expectation that their CD will arrive in two days. They could save themselves a lot of grief.

Not only is this not spelled out on their website, they didn't mention it in any of their email replies either. In fact they reinforced the idea that the PO had probably lost it. Ridiculous! If they were honest and upfront about where the CDs come from and that they might therefore take 2 weeks to arrive, I would have been content to wait instead of assuming the worst :rolleyes:

technobear, Oct 13, 2003
  19. technobear

MO! MOnkey`ead!

and also, like a lot of the on-line music stores, they fail to spell out that "your cd will quite likely turn up with the clips on the cd tray broken, and perhaps even a cracked case despite our often overpriced p+p costs"

Well, free p+p with a few now anyhow.

MO!, Oct 13, 2003
  20. technobear

Both the CD and its case were in perfect condition :cool:

I've even ordered another one :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2003
    technobear, Oct 13, 2003
Ask a Question