2 Shows in September - MADNESS!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Hifi Nut, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Hifi Nut

Hifi Nut

I have just been informed that the organiser who runs the Manchester Show has decided to "gate crash" the Hi Fi News Show in September.

Now although the Hi Fi News show hasn't been as good as the "good old days" it seems to be heading in the right direction this year.

There is no need for a 2nd show in September and i feel the new show is merely trying to fragment the market at a time where it is really NOT needed.

I for one shall be attending the Hi Fi News Show and have lost some respect for the organisers of the Manchester and April Heathrow Show as this really isn't the "done thing" in my opinion.

Hopefully this years show can be as good as they have promised this year, it sure needs to be!!

Hifi Nut, Feb 2, 2006
  2. Hifi Nut

technobear Ursine Audiophile

What are the locations of these two shows?

technobear, Feb 2, 2006
  3. Hifi Nut

The Devil IHTFP

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!

Have they lost their minds and gone insane???!!!!! A hi-fi show in September???!!!! It's nearly the end of the world, and I for one fully support your quest to right this wrong, and stop the madness!!!!!!

The Devil, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Hifi Nut

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hifi nut,

What is your connection with the hifi industry? and why is this going to be a potential problem?
    AS last years event was seriously poor both in attendence and sound quality, why not combine both might just give it the shot in the arm it needs maybe?
    AS this is the first I've seen/heard about this statement, I'm not fighting for either camp, just a few views would be insightful

wadia-miester, Feb 2, 2006
  5. Hifi Nut

Hifi Nut

are you feeling ok?

Hifi Nut, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Hifi Nut

Hifi Nut

hi - i love Hi Fi and have been a fan and reader of Hi Fi News for years.

i simply feel that a 2nd Show at Heathrow on the same weekend is not going to give either show maximum impact. the fact that the Hi Fi News show has been running for years and years on the same weekend should be enough for them to stand their ground.

i just feel that this "direct competition" show will simply try to break up an already fragile market. im sure exhibitors and visitos alike will see that the Hi Fi News show is "the" show of the callendar for Sept and this show will be the start of better shows to come from them.

Hifi Nut, Feb 2, 2006
  7. Hifi Nut

julian2002 Muper Soderator

all trade shows have only one purpose - for the industry bods to get together and eat, drink and get laid on expense accounts oh and maybe do a bit of business if they have time. the general publics only purpouse is to legitimise this excess in the eyes of the tax man.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 2, 2006
  8. Hifi Nut

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Julian - in the current market climate, everyone faces the spanish inquisition for every penny on the expenses account.

I-S, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Hifi Nut

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I see. Well, if they are both at Heathrow then I won't be going to either of them. I cannot imagine a worse location (and yes I did once go to a Heathrow show).

I can't imagine any manufacturer wanting to support both. I can however imagine quite a few deciding not to bother with either.

Having two shows also means the poor punter has to stump up twice if he wants to see everything. Again, I can imagine most deciding not to bother with either.

technobear, Feb 2, 2006
  10. Hifi Nut

DavidY80 Long Member

From a slightly different perspective; it'a all about bastard scum event organisers who do their level best to sell exhibition space and services at hugely inflated prices to companies who are scared ****less of not intending in case the industry rumour mill pronounces them dead!

And getting together for a Shandy or two.;)

DavidY80, Feb 2, 2006
  11. Hifi Nut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Isaac, your link in your signature doesnt seem to work?

NB
    You should do a post on your companies new amp in the review section.

I dont think anyone would begrudge you of it, after all you finance the forum!

bottleneck, Feb 2, 2006
  12. Hifi Nut

Hifi Nut

hi

as far as i can read into it - you will not have to pay twice unless you wish to attend BOTH shows.

If you go to just the Hi Fi News Show for example you will only pay to enter that show.

I agree that notmany people will support BOTH shows which is why its imperitive to support the long standing Hi Fi News show and rid the market of "gate crashers" in my opinion.

Hifi Nut, Feb 2, 2006
  13. Hifi Nut

The Devil IHTFP

Who cares?

The Devil, Feb 2, 2006
  14. Hifi Nut

penance Arrogant Cock

He does^^

penance, Feb 2, 2006
  15. Hifi Nut

Tenson Moderator

I do, it divides the market. Look what happens to small town shops when a big shopping centre opens up near-by. The market divides and the small guy looses out. Since nearly all the Hi-Fi market is made of 'small guys' most will lose out here! Unless you can afford to attend both shows (for exhibiters and public) the market will be halved.

Tenson, Feb 2, 2006
  16. Hifi Nut

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Ahh, young blue-eyed innocennce....

The market is already divided. The "official" september show charges very high rates, some of the smaller guys could ill afford the cash, many of the really small manufacturers can't at all.

This may the same kind of rebellion the CES faced with the "T.H.E. Show", held in Las Vegas in parallel but with much lower rates than the CES.

What it has done in the US was to give smaller and more off the wall companies a chance to show their wares. It means both shows actually benefit and the overall is better.

So, if Chester Group wants to have a parallel show for smaller, less mainstream companies it will probably be a "good thing", even though it may mean that exhibitors at the "gatecrasher" show may have to write off any chance of getting good reviews in HFN....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Feb 2, 2006
  17. Hifi Nut

Tenson Moderator

But are they going to charge less? I thought the Manchester show and the Heathrow show charged about the same for rooms.

Tenson, Feb 2, 2006
  18. Hifi Nut

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Good question, we will have to see. In London their show charges pretty low rates.

My point is that a second show is not necessarily a bad thing. I think we should see first.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Feb 2, 2006
  19. Hifi Nut

MartinC Trainee tea boy

It would seem a very odd (stupid?) decision if they were to. We are talking about the Chester group right? Their website just mentions Heathrow shows in April '06 and '07, but of course if this is a recent decision it wouldn't be there yet I guess.

http://chestergroup.org/chesterfieldcomc.html

I would have thought though that the April '06 show would have progressed sufficiently in the planning/booking stages that it would be unlikely to be called off, and similarly that it would then be unlikely to hold another show at Heathrow just 5 months later though?

FWIW I've been to a couple of the April Heathrow shows and have enjoyed both and I hope it continues at this time.

MartinC, Feb 3, 2006
  20. Hifi Nut

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Oh, and while I think of it I've always found it somewhat petty that HiFi News never mentions the Chester Group April Heathrow show, despite the fact I'm sure much of their readership would be interested in attending it, without this having a significant (if any) impact on the numbers attending the HiFi News sponsored Heathrow show.

MartinC, Feb 3, 2006
Ask a Question