2ch vs 5.1 for movies

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Sep 20, 2004.

1. michaelab

Paul Ranson

You didn't mention it (were you running '2.1'?) and I had a recollection that you'd removed it from the stereo system.
    Surely the same applies to your stereo? I find that TV from the Sky box (Amstrad!) or Nicam sounds good, (and it's compressed! And connected with 15 feet of home made very cheap cable) and that there's no problem with dialogue or which end of the sofa I'm at. Even lying on the floor works.

I don't want more ESLs in the room, I do want a projector, mostly for TV. I think mixing in a cheap 5.1 system would seriously compromise my stereo, and be irritating when not in use. I reserve the right to change my mind... (just this once)

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 21, 2004
  2. michaelab

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Those who have the Linn AV5103 think otherwise - until recently it was the best available solution for anyone looking for a Linn stereo preamp - the 5 channel was a free bonus :) So there's no automatic 'of course'.

SteveC, Sep 21, 2004
  3. michaelab

Mr Perceptive

Costs of upgrade

I went 'surround' for just over £160

Main system Naim62/SNAPS/140-->Shahinian Arcs

New Purchases Yamaha DSP E-800 5 months old £130
    Celestion AVS speakers (Little 1 replacements) Brand new Two rears + centre from eBay £25
    20m of mains pendant cable

Currently running a phantom centre, the Arcs go so low, I haven't bought a sub-woofer.

Difference - amazing, movies came to life, now I reckon most of that is in the processing rather than 'the surround'. In comparison using the Aux input (PCM from DVD) on the Naim the sound sounds compressed whereas through the Yamaha in Dolby Digital it has really opened out.

However standard CD through the Yamaha from my Meridian CDP sounds.....crap.

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Sep 21, 2004
  4. michaelab

Tom Alves

Too right it would but that's why I have my TV in a different room from the main hi-fi :)

Tom Alves, Sep 21, 2004
  5. michaelab

n24

i am all for 5.1 although i am only running 5.0 right now. The sub is on the list to complete the move from stereo viewing to full surround. I have the my two systems combined and although movies in 2.0 are good - esp films outwith the hollywood crash bang mould - the surround sound adds so much to the experience that it would be difficult to go back. Having said that the screen would be the hardest to live without. 5.1 on a portable just doesnt cut it with me.

n24, Sep 21, 2004
  6. michaelab

merlin

Paul, it need not - I use four small wall mounted speakers up near the ceiling with the centre hidden in a cabinet behind a grille. The amp is TOTALLY seperate from the music system and the display is now a rather lovely (as inexpensive) projector with a 92" pulldown screen. Movies sound great and the size of image makes the whole experience quite immersive. Not too dear as a whole either.

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
  7. michaelab

GaryG

Michael

Given that you have a DAC 64 have you considered using it for the front L/R channels in 5.1? (using a Meridian AV processor with digital outputs).

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Sep 21, 2004
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Paul - I had taken the sub out of my stereo system but have recently put it back in. However as it has two inputs I can choose to use or not use the sub for stereo and still always use it for 5.1. Having a 5.1 system doesn't compromise my stereo as they are completely separate, despite the fact that the 5.1 front channels use the stereo system. The only link between the two systems is the IC's the connect the pre-outs of my AV amp to my stereo pre. Of course you would contend that having the big TV between my stereo speakers is a compromise, and you may be right there allthough it's one I'm prepared to live with. Eventually I'll get a projector and that will no longer be an issue either.

GaryG - I really doubt that using the DAC64 as a converter for the front channels would be worthwhile. The Meridian processors are (I believe) designed to be used with their active speakers that have digital inputs...not to mention the fact that a Meridian processor would cost just a shade more than the £200 I paid for my Marantz!

Then there's the other problem with using a DAC64 for movies (either as above or in just stereo as I mentioned in my first post): you have to disable the RAM buffer so that sound and picture remain in sync. I'd also have to flick the switch to go from TOSLink (from my CD transport) to RCA (SPDIF) input from my DVD player or Meridian proc. Having to prat about flicking unlaballed switches on the back of the DAC every time I wanted to watch a movie would be a right PITA!

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  9. michaelab

The Devil IHTFP

I think 2-channel is sufficient for DVD replay. A good two channels, mind you.

Big screen definitely helps, Michael - get a projector fifthwith.

The Devil, Sep 21, 2004
  10. michaelab

GaryG

Can't argue with the £200 bit, whether you think it's worthwhile or not is another matter, I use an external DAC with a Meridian processor and think it's worthwhile, mind you, I can change inputs on the DAC with a remote so it's no hassle.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Sep 21, 2004
  11. michaelab

Legzr1

For movies with a bit of 'action' I agree,5.1 is the way to go.
    The .1 (LFE) makes a huge difference too - you can get away with using any half-decent sub for movies (no 'hifi' nicities to consider :D ).

FWIW,I went the easy way of a DSPE-800,small un-obtrusive center speaker + small easy to hide rears and tagged this onto my existing stereo set-up (Krell + Kefs).
    Bit of a compromise for 5.1 but the only way for me to do it while maintaining a decent 2-channel setup.

I have a few 'music' DVD's (concert stuff + the like) and I must admit to this sounding better downmixed to 2-channel.

Legzr1, Sep 21, 2004
  12. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

5:1? surely you mean 7:1

wadia-miester, Sep 21, 2004
  13. michaelab

Legzr1

Afraid not :eek:
    Thought about it (for,oh ,all of 10 seconds) then decided to wait 3 or 4 weeks until the introduction of 14.2 MLPdtsWIN surround sound.
    :MILD:

P.S - thanks for the SACD advice - much appreciated. :)

Legzr1, Sep 21, 2004
  14. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Legzr1,
    You'd be surprised by the difference really!
    What have you decided on with relation to cdp?

wadia-miester, Sep 21, 2004
  15. michaelab

Legzr1

I have no doubt that 7 channels set up correctly will sound better but I had to consider 'the bitch from hell',a 5 stone labrador + a 3 year old daughter !!

Re: CD Player - decided against it in the end (that particular one)...something didn't quite add up with the description of it.
    Still seriously considering a private import though - especially as i've found a place selling with dealer back-up.
    Just deciding if it's the right way to go - got a Krell 300 CD at the moment making nice sounds.I'll have to sell this first before deciding.
    Don't suppose you know of anyone interested in it? (reasonably priced - none of this £1700 lark from Emporium !).

Legzr1, Sep 21, 2004
  16. michaelab

Paul Ranson

The problem is that speech on the main system is so obviously right.

A projector is definitely on the cards though, and if the TV goes then it's a good way to discourage aimless watching.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 21, 2004
  17. michaelab

JackOTrades

Well as long as you only use the surround for movies, that's fine. If you start wanting to reproduce sacd in five channels, the argument is that you need a more evenly balanced reproduction and you'd need better surrounds (not bipolar and not flimsy).

At least by my standards Michael's surround speakers and general setup is pretty good indeed, and it would probably do well even with 5-channel music.

I have recently started to put together my home cinema sound. Without spending much, I have a 3802, the front speakers are my SF signums driven by my hifi amp, and the rears are a pair of nice small Mordaunt Shorts. Not having a centre speaker has not been a problem, so far. Just makes the steering of the sound effects less obvious which is not always a bad thing. Next I need a sub, and i'll be sorted.

What I can tell you even with this beginning of a half decent home cinema setup is that it totally transforms the experience of watching a movie. So it is, for me, well worth the (smallish) investment. I can't really see the case for 7.1 setups, as most dvds I've seen are at best 5.1 dts or dd, with the very rare exception of 6.1 here and there.

Just steer clear of those dreadfull all-in-one sony aberrations. :chunder:

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 21, 2004
  18. michaelab

Matt F

I don’t buy this ‘huge screen is more important than extra channels’ idea. Of course a big screen is great but even with a 32” widescreen CRT you are getting all of the picture at the front i.e. where it is supposed to be. If you go for a bigger screen but just stereo then you are missing the key ingredient and that is surround sound – okay on some films this may not make a huge difference but generally you should be replaying a 5.1 soundtrack through 5.1 channels!

To me, downmixing a 5.1 soundtrack to stereo is a bit like playing back the picture in black and white – everything will still be there but the impact will be drastically reduced – IMO you need the colours and you need the surround sound.

And the idea that virtually any old sub will do for home cinema? What tosh – a lot of movie soundtracks place much greater demands on a sub than most music does. The difference , unfortunately, is that a lot of people seem to be happy with a distortion-ridden sub for movies e.g. as long as it’s rumbling away and shaking the room then this is fine. Hear a top model replaying really deep bass cleanly and you’ll quickly realise what the difference is and how poor many popular subs are with movies.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 21, 2004
  19. michaelab

robert_cyrus

5.1 all the way !
    though when i had my av5 upgraded to av8, i had to do without surround for a while. i activated some kind of surround mode on the panny 737, and it did seem to enhance the stereo mix. i was v glad to get 5.1 back though ! (ok, strictly speaking 5.0, as i don't have a sub).

watched a bit of star wars dvd last night - nice !

robert_cyrus, Sep 21, 2004
  20. michaelab

merlin

Technically speaking WM, there is no such thing :rolleyes:

Ah but Paul, I suspect that Exploding supernova and collapsing suspension bridges sound somewhat less than convincing and we all know which is more important in most modern hollywood blockbusters ;)

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
Ask a Question