2ch vs 5.1 for movies

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Sep 20, 2004.

1. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Pedantic, in need of stereophile, withdrawth symptons, call hifi Anon, they waiting to take your call

wadia-miester, Sep 21, 2004
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I haven't ever heard a 7.1 system but I imagine that after 5.1 you get into rapidly diminishing returns, not to mention rapidly increasing annoyance re speaker placement.

The vast majority of DVDs are in 5.1 and I can't see that changing any time soon. I also can't see the average home user ever going beyond 5.1

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  3. michaelab

Paul Ranson

If only I knew what exploding supernovae and collapsing suspension bridges actually sounded like, I could evaluate the accuracy of home cinema audio....

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 21, 2004
  4. michaelab

juboy

Experience the battle scenes on the official DD-EX version of 'A New Hope' and you'll soon hear why 6.1 and 7.1 speaker systems make sense ;)

Although it's true that you need a large-ish room and the ability to position the rear centres correctly to really get the potential out of the EX and ES formats.

juboy, Sep 21, 2004
  5. michaelab

merlin

Paul,

a favourite quote from a review some years ago was " If music doesn't really sound as good as this, then it should do"

I think that sums up the goals of HC fanatics.

But get a projector! I'm currently enjoying huge images for the cost of a 32" CRT that easily exceed that from any plasma/LCD I have seen recently. And if you plan thing right, there is nothing to stop you placing another ESL directly under the screen :D

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
  6. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Micheal,

I'm afraid it isn't dimishing returns, it really does add a truer presepective, still not as good as decent 2 channel, but hey, does a Furadja DVP4000 cut it as a cd player?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2004
    wadia-miester, Sep 21, 2004
  7. michaelab

MacReady’sShack Rattling shuddering LFE.1

One reason why I brought DVD in first place was affordable flexibility I've been collecting favourites that originated in the Dolby stereo 70mm format, that sounded a whole lot better over the conventional optical 35mm Dolby matrix twin tracks.

Discrete full spectrum sound from digitally encoded Dolby 4.0 4.1 monaural surrounds 5.1 with occasional monaural surrounds on some titles, but commonly used with spilt-stereo surrounds to give more open sound to allow sound images to pan around that don't relate to the onscreen images must match the front sound with the same frequency response and range.

I'm presently watching Big Trouble in Little China on region 2 DVD which is Dolby 4.1, part of the centre dialogue has a hazy spread on left and right that is down by a few db. It's heard clearly from the matched LCR at centre. Sound effects have isolated location.

The surrounds sound better over Dolby 4.2.4 where crosstalk is common and distracting at times, not with “discrete.â€Â

The LFE.1 track should be used to merely support parts of the soundtrack not overwhelm it where the rest of the sub bass and bass frequencies don't add up, it should be a smooth even blend.

I run two subs one that extends the low end where the other five channels need it, the LFE.1 is used sparingly with shuddering effect when called for.

MacReady’sShack, Oct 26, 2007
  8. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm currently running a cut down system in a very confined space - screen is a 22 inch hp pc monitor with a view distance of about 2 meters or less. sound is handled by my b&o 5000 via tape 2 straight out of my pc's sound card. sound is good quality wise but not as viscral as my old surround system which is in storage at present. there is definately something missing with 2 channels.

julian2002, Oct 26, 2007
  9. michaelab

cooky1257

Ideally and in my case have a music room and a HC family room.5.1 is the way to go for movies-it at least approaches that cinema experience-2 channel can't do that IME(Tosh 37" lcd,Marantz 6200, jbl control 1's, paradigm 1000 sub)and it keeps the kids away from the hifi:)

cooky1257, Oct 26, 2007
  10. michaelab

jaspal kallar

I must admit I'm not a great movie fan but I'm getting in music DVD's, mostly concert. For those who have music DVD's (concert mainly ) does it sound better in 2 ch or 5.1 ?

jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Oct 26, 2007
  11. michaelab

rollo

Hey Jaspal,

For me a properly set up 5.1 system will outperform a 2 channel for music videos. However the biggest problem we face is not the system [ unless its some cheapie all in one deal] its the damn DVD itself.
    There are few music videos executed properly in 5.1 IMO. I mean the trumpets or whatever should not be coming from the rear channels. To do it right its very expensive and IMO not worth it yet. If we cannot afford a proper 5.1 system stay with a quality 2 channel system and enjoy those music videos.

rollo

rollo, Oct 28, 2007
  12. michaelab

Shiner

I completely agree that things like trumpets shouldn't come from the rear speakers.
    But,I dont think it would be very expensive to do it properly at all. It would be the same cost, it is in the mastering. To get the best realistic sound virtually all the sound should come the front. The rear speakers are more ambient sound. The problem is I think people wont be happy wont be getyting much out of. the rear speakers so wont feel they are getting there moneies worth.

Shiner, Oct 28, 2007
  13. michaelab

rollo

I agree it is definitely the mastering. Has anyone tried just using a super tweeter and subs for the rear channels? I always wondered if that would suffice. Any ideas?

rollo

rollo, Oct 28, 2007
Ask a Question