2nd hand amplifiers - which one?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom, May 25, 2004.

1. Tom

Tom

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a 2nd hand integrated amp to replace the ageing JVC that I am using at the moment, which I am borrowing until I get something of my own. Having read up as much as i can on my own, I have looked at:

Cyrus 1
    Cyrus 2
    Audiolab 8000A
    Pioneer A400

I hope this gives you an idea of what I am after and what I'm prepared to pay for it (ie not much).

Any advice on which one of these (if any) would be good to match with my Marantz CD-63 SE? Matching with speakers not as important as they will be replaced further down the line.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, May 25, 2004
  2. Tom

crobo

Hello Tom,

I have not heard the other 3 but I was the owner of an original Audiolab 8000A for 19 years - just sold it late last year. I traded it in on an MF A3.2. A couple of the salesmen in the shop where I traded it were arguing over taking the Audiolab.

Sweet sounding amp with a reasonable MM/MC phono stage built in as a bonus. Still in perfect working order

I guess the fact I kept it so long tells you I liked it.

You really need to go and listen to the gear you are thinking of in your system. Some things that look OK in theory might not work in practice.

Good hunting !

crobo, May 25, 2004
  3. Tom

technobear Ursine Audiophile

From personal experience, the Arcam Alpha 8R works well with the Marantz CD63 SE - almost turns it into a good CD player! :eek: The older Alpha 6 also works well with that player.

technobear, May 25, 2004
  4. Tom

pjdowns

Tom,

Personally I would highly recommend the Audiolab.

I have one which I use for my bedroom system. It is a 1991 model and was used in my main system untill 1999.

It has a very clear and neutral sound. The only reason I upgraded was that I bought some Epos ES-14's and it wasn't quite man enough to do the job as well as my Exposure XVII & XVIII pre and power.

Regards

Paul.

pjdowns, May 25, 2004
  5. Tom

Lt Cdr Data om

they are all fine amps, I liked the cyrus 1, it was one of my first amps, tho i had a 2 and psx a couple of years ago, and it didn't seem as good.

The best technically would be the audiolab, a fine vinyl stage, too, but has the reputation of being too neutral.

a400 or a400x is a steal for less than £100 on ebay, get a minter ,boxed.

I would go for an audiolab, I really like my cd63ki sig., really musical. I was selling it on ebay and changed my mind and had to pull it. I can't let it go for a dearer one, it does it all so well.

Lt Cdr Data, May 25, 2004
  6. Tom

Tom

Crobo - where could I find 2nd hand examples of these that I could listen to? The only ones I've seen so far are either on eBay or with private sellers, and I doubt they would appreciate me turning up and using their living rooms as demo rooms!

Tom, May 25, 2004
  7. Tom

Lt Cdr Data om

don't do it!! don't do MF, you will get sleeping sickness;)

Lt Cdr Data, May 25, 2004
  8. Tom

Tom

Wasn't planning on it! Boredom is the one thing I am trying to avoid here :D

Tom, May 25, 2004
  9. Tom

lordsummit moderate mod

you could perhaps add the linn intek, and the quad 33/303 to that list. i prefer the intek to the audiolab having listened to the audiolab last week. the audiolab is very precise, but a little souless. The linn has a cracking phono stage on, and has plenty of grunt. Very convenient too with lots of connections

lordsummit, May 25, 2004
  10. Tom

Tom

Aren't the Quad's connections DIN though?

Tom, May 25, 2004
  11. Tom

technobear Ursine Audiophile

So you want soul and involvement. You should definitely try an Arcam Alpha 8R. Really. Or an Alpha 9 if you want a bit more power.

technobear, May 25, 2004
  12. Tom

maddog 2

Have a look for Densen B200/B300

Has a lifetime warranty so is a good buy s/hand.

Can be had for about £800 for the pair.

maddog 2, May 25, 2004
  13. Tom

greg Its a G thing

I always found the Cyrus 1 and 2 to be much too bright, I didnt really like the a400, seemed too "in yer face" - unaturally so - to me, though lots of folks still really rate them for the money. I had an 8000A for several years - spacey, detailed, reasonable power and current, not really a party amp if you know what I mean, but certainly good value and definitely worth a try.

Why not buy two out of the three, then sell the one you dont like after extended home trial - thats what I'd do?

greg, May 25, 2004
  14. Tom

greg Its a G thing

If I read Tom's thread right he's talking more around the 100-250 budget. Am I right Tom?

If you do up your budget I've a Cyrus 7 for sale which I think is great value.

greg, May 25, 2004
  15. Tom

Tom

Yes Greg, you'd be right!

Any suggestions as to where I could demo an Audiolab amp?

Thanks

Tom, May 25, 2004
  16. Tom

greg Its a G thing

Well for 2nd hand gear I personally would: keep an eye on eBay (there are always a few 8000A on there) keep disciplined regards your budget - sooner or later you'll get a bargain, buy it try it at home and if it doesnt suit you sell it on - you might even make a small profit in the process.

I dare say numerous dealers here and there will have one in stock but natually will want more cash as they are likely required to add VAT etc.

I would also add its worth getting at least a MKII. I had a MKI (dark grey) and it was a little underpowered compared to the MKII.

greg, May 25, 2004
  17. Tom

sane4sure

I'd definately go with the 8000A. The only trouble is that once you've fallen in love with the 'Audiolab sound', there is too much of a good upgrade path in the range to resist.

I may well know of a mate with a mint 8000A for sale.........

sane4sure, May 25, 2004
  18. Tom

Tom

If your mate decides to sell his 8000A, could you find out how much he wants? I might well be interested.

Thanks

Tom, May 25, 2004
  19. Tom

sane4sure

I've just emailed him on that very subject!

sane4sure, May 25, 2004
  20. Tom

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

My mate's using my 1993 vintage (ex-Henryt) 8000A - it's bomb proof. In fact, I've used it as a bomb once (dropped the thing on my foot!) and it still worked flawlessly; with the amount of smoke in my mate's flat, the fact it works at all is a miracle.

Nice fairly decent sound, OK phono stage too.

I prefer my Rega Mira 2000/Naim NAIT3, but the Audiolab is still a very nice amp. BTW - mine's a MKII (you can tell as it'll have a specific "Video" input on the front panel, whereas the original 8000A doesn't.

domfjbrown, May 25, 2004
Ask a Question