2nd hand amps for pmc ib1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by njc743, Mar 16, 2008.

1. njc743

njc743

as title really,
    have audiolab monoblocks and 8000q at mo with marantz cd63ki sig and pmc ib1 speakers. one of the audiolab monoblocks has started to distort at higher levels so i'm looking in to new amplification to suit my speakers. bass heavy house and drum n bass is my music of choice so solid powerful amps are a necessity. currently thinking krell kav400xi or musical fidelity kw500 amps if available secondhand, does anyone have any other recommendations?
    cheers
    neil

njc743, Mar 16, 2008
  2. njc743

Tenson Moderator

Bryston, of course :)

Maybe Crown, MC2, or even an Alesis RA500. Forget Musical Fidelity and Krell.

Tenson, Mar 16, 2008
  3. njc743

anon_bb Honey Badger

Get a pair of 2nd hand Bryston 7b-st or a stereo 4b-st if you can.

anon_bb, Mar 16, 2008
  4. njc743

ScarletPimpernl

Hi Neil,
    I you're keen on auditioning a MF Kw500, I am selling mine as I'm going down the tube route. Don't listen to the NaySayers who seem to enjoy slagging off MF: these Amps are fantasticly good at speed. transients and bass, anyway, it's each to their own. I'm in North London, I'll happily demonstrate it. In fact I recommend it and I reckon it'll be perfect for your style of music. Huge powerful bass and massive soundstage. Ex. cond. Looking for £2100 (RRP £4k)

(from my current ad) Multiple award-winning Titan: the kW 500 is one of the best five amplifiers in the world regardless of price. A 500w Powerhouse. "Like many great amplifiers, the kW500 can throw a broad, deep, richly detailed soundstage with the best of them, but in terms of three-dimensionality it offers the ability to convey the size and shape" (The Absolute Sound 02.05) Read the reviews.

Cheers SP

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
    ScarletPimpernl, Mar 19, 2008
  5. njc743

zanash

I think thats over egging the pudding ......what you don't want is a too bright or forward and overly aggressive amp to go with the pcm's............. as imo the speakers tend towards that side of things.

one thing you must do is get to listen to the amp in your listening environment.

zanash, Mar 20, 2008
  6. njc743

njc743

thanks for input everyone, kw500 is off the list for several reasons.
    brystons were always in the back of my mind but trying to find secondhand ones is near impossible and 4bsst and pre amp is more than i wish to spend at moment.
    however the bryston powerpac 300's look very tempting as there would be less boxes laying around (children on way soon) but would i be able to run them with my audiolab pre amp?
    also for future reference does anyone make a cd player with preamp output for direct connection to powerpac's?
    interested to hear why the krell is not recommended tenson.
    thanks

njc743, Mar 22, 2008
  7. njc743

Tenson Moderator

You should be able to use the powerpacs with the audiolab. If it doesn't have XLR outputs you can make some converter cables.

The only reason I didn't suggest the Krell is because its expensive branded hi-fi. The Bryston is indeed good, but to be honest is also a little expensive for what you get 'cos of the brand.

Honestly, what you really want to be getting is this - http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/mc1250/

£750 second hand from here if you act fast - http://www.lmcaudio.co.uk/assets/pdf/usedlmc.pdf

Or the model down for £495.

Crown would be my second choice.

What your PMCs need is quality, clean power and lots of it. For that you want to look at high quality pro studio amps the likes of many on that list.

MC2 is pretty new to me, there are two users on this forum. From what they have said and the internals in the amp I am fully confident its ideal for you.

[​IMG]

Image borrowed from endust4237

Tenson, Mar 22, 2008
  8. njc743

Andy 831

If you ask a lot of the Boys on the Yahoo Tannoy site what they would recommend for an amp they often point you in the direction of MC2 amps.

Not heard one myself but supposed to be very good.

Andy 831, Mar 23, 2008
  9. njc743

njc743

may be able to convince 'her indoors' that we need two hugh loudspeakers and just about get away with my monoblocks parked infront of each speaker but the mc2's would be a defo no and not sure that i would care to look at them every night either.
    fair point that you pay a little extra for the brand but we all succumb to that and with the brystons 20 year guarantee there must be some pretty solid engineering inside them to ensure they dont all get returned after 10years service, and they are 'recommended' by pmc.
    need to try audition the powerpacs somehow
    thanks again everyone

njc743, Mar 23, 2008
  10. njc743

Tenson Moderator

Cover the amp with a cloth, or put it behind the sofa? ;) I'm clever like that!

Tenson, Mar 23, 2008
  11. njc743

anon_bb Honey Badger

You should be able to get a used 3b-st for around 5-600 quid in good condition

anon_bb, Mar 23, 2008
  12. njc743

Baudrillard

Failiing that, try covering 'her indoors' with a cloth. Works for me.

Baudrillard, Mar 23, 2008
  13. njc743

Viajero5000

Hi NJC,

Interesting post re amp for IB1's, as I've recently had similar dilemmas; I own a pair of MB2's which were being driven by a Bryston 4B-ST, and have just changed to an MF-KW550. If you're still amp-hunting, I can give you my feedback re the pros and cons of both amps. Btw I'm thinking of selling my 4B-ST since its not presently in use. Let me know if you're interested in that.

Viajero5000, Apr 12, 2008
  14. njc743

njc743

viajero,
    thanks for your response, i would appreciate hearing your reasoning for changing to kw550 and how different you consider them to be. perhaps a short explanation on here would be interesting reading for others too. What type of music are you basing your opinions on?.
    as for the 4b st i may consider but only if you live around the norwich area and dont mind displaying it as i wont buy from ebay or private sellers on the internet.
    cheers
    neil

njc743, Apr 12, 2008
  15. njc743

anon_bb Honey Badger

The mb2s would fair better by being triamped by a 4b-st and a pair of 3b-st - a huge upgrade over just a single 4b-st. You would then have the option to convert to active. I used to have the passive mb2 and upgraded from a pair of 7b-st to add a pair of 4b-st. I then swapped for an active mb2.

anon_bb, Apr 12, 2008
  16. njc743

Viajero5000

In my system (PMC MB2, Rega Apollo cd player):

Bryston 4B-ST’s pluses:
    • Gives the illusion of greater top end clarity
    • Better timbre and rawness around acoustic instruments: sounds closer to the actual instrument
    • Warranty and customer service are simply unbeatable: the company has a no BS approach

4B-ST minuses:
    • Slightly hard on the upper mids/ not the most refined amp in that area
    • Bass was boomy and slightly dry
    • Sound stage is smaller with lesser detail
    • Lesser emotional engagement

Kw550 pluses:
    • Sound stage is comparatively huge, effortless, with distinctly more detail and focus; almost a kilowatt of power per channel has very noticeable benefits
    • More emotional and musical involvement; smoother and relaxed
    • Bass is now very good; deep, controlled and 'palpable'
    • The kw weighs more than twice the 4b (which may be a + or a -)

Kw550 minuses:
    • Doesn’t give the illusion of top end clarity like the Bryston
    • Timbre, texture and rawness of individual acoustic instruments is not as good (though the amp is still breaking in)
    • Cheesy glowing feet and gimmicky marketing
    • Smoother, overall improved vocals than the 4B, but lacking immediacy

The PMC’s are brilliant speakers and need a lot of clean power, which is tricky if you’re on a budget; adding the kw has made them suddenly come to life and very enjoyable. They were being a little frustrating with the single 4B. Brystons are great gear, and I’m a big fan, but the cost in the UK is exactly twice what they’re worth (~GBP 5k for the 14B plus probably a couple grand more for the BP26). The MF cost GBP 2.5k brand new. No contest in terms of money.
    Overall, the 4B is suitable if you’re using the system for monitoring, while the kw is better if the system is used for pleasure. A single 3B is inadequate.

Brizon, I hunted on the 2nd hand market for a tri-amp solution for months with no luck. Activation is the best solution, but too expensive for me at the moment. The journey continues while the bank accounts break.

Viajero5000, Apr 13, 2008
  17. njc743

anon_bb Honey Badger

Use a second hand 4b-st and an 8b-st four channel amp. Should cost around 2 grand.

anon_bb, Apr 13, 2008
  18. njc743

flapland

flapland, Apr 13, 2008
Ask a Question