3 sources, 2 inputs. Help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Seeker_UK, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

I've just bought a Meridian 568 / 557 combo to upgrade my hifi.

Although I am dead chuffed with this set-up, there is one small problem which is niggling me. Although my primary source of listening is CD and for that I'm using the onboard DAC of the 568, occasionally I still use a tuner, tape and vinyl (via a phono stage). On the 568 though, there's only 2 analogue inputs.

One way around this is to access the radio stations on either my freeview or virgin box via optical digital but how would their sound compare to my current setup which is an FM receiver via a rooftop aerial?

Another options is to use a 2in-1out switch box. Are there any high quality ones I could get? Somehow I think that the £10 Maplins one might compromise the sound.

Third option and the most expensive, get a tuner with a digital out such as the models Teac do. Is the digital out though only for DAB or do they have an ADC for the FM?

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Seeker_UK, Apr 29, 2009
  2. Seeker_UK

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I have the same problem and use an ACTIVE switchbox to solve the problem.I only use it for second-rate sources (Xbox, analogue tuner, freeview etc), so a minor loss of fidelity doesn't trouble me that much. Passive £10 switchboxes will highly compromise signal quality. I use the £40 Tristar model here: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/sf=category/se=Scart/se=Switch.html

DT

PS But you really should buy a valve amp with more inputs ;-)

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question