330D Sport review for Dev

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt F, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Matt F

Matt F

I did put some thoughts down in the Rover thread but they're a bit lost in here so here is what I think so far:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Biggest surprise; it really doesn't sound like a diesel (the 320D does) - it sounds like a straight six - okay not as smooth as the petrol but still that lovely thrum that in-line fours don't have.

Sports suspension is fine - I'd read it was too hard for UK roads - don't believe a word of it - it's firmer than the standard car but by no means uncomfortable.

Harmon Kardon system sounds pretty good (I'd probably say really good had I not had decent aftermarket ICE in the past) - a lot better than the standard system - I won't be competing in any sound offs but, unlike the standard one, it has plenty of mid and bass.

Performance - plenty there (this is the 204bhp model) - bigger power band than the 320D and the smooth engine encourages you to use it (unlike the 320D). 3rd gear particularly nice with a great long shove of thrust.

Handling - nicely balanced (doesn't feel nose heavy despite the big engine) and plenty of grip - as there should be with 255s on the back.

Economy - reset the computer then drove 12 miles into Bristol - mixture of roads and I was obviously giving it some having just got it. Result was a smidgen over 40mpg. Should return excellent motorway mpg figues as sixth gear is very tall - 70mph = 1950 revs!

Anyway, on the way home the roads were less busy so I could give it some -
    Chirst this ain't that far off my Impreza Turbo (215bhp model) - devastating thrust. The mpg dropped but only to 36 - not too bad as I was really booting it. Overtook a couple of dawdlers - they were specs in the mirror in seconds - 30-80 acceleration is just superb.

I can honestly say this is one of the best (if not the best) cars I have ever driven - as a complete package it is near perfect - 2500 revs gives you 90mph!

The handling now I've thrown it about a bit is great - much better steering feel than the standard car.

Oh, and the Xenon headlights are fantastic - never had them before but now I see why people rate them.

So - great car as you will find out soon. Attached a pic - yes it's a four door but I need the rear doors for the kids plus the saloons are cheaper than the coupes.

Matt.

Attached Files:

Matt F, Apr 11, 2005
  2. Matt F

julian2002 Muper Soderator

big rant pissing on matts chips deleted....

nice car.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 12, 2005
  3. Matt F

michaelab desafinado

Nice car Matt. I'll soon be swapping my M3 for either a 320d Touring or possibly a 530d Touring. I've driven a 530d (184hp engine) before and it's a wonderful engine, and you've got the uprated 204hp version. Glad you like the xenons. Really can't understand why so few people still specify them when buying cars. As a factory option they're down to around £4-500 for most makes now and once you've had them you'll never want to go back - they really make night driving soooo much safer.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

They're not much good for vehicles coming towards you though. I'm always amazed they're allowed to be fitted considering their potential to dazzle other road users

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Matt F

T-bone Sanchez

I cant wait to have a go in the 535d, now that sounds like a beast. FWIW, when I sold mercs I was always very impressed with the 330d & 530d, at the time I cant say there was that much between the C270CDI & E320CDI performance wise but they were a hell of alot smoother and much more refined and worked better with the auto's.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Matt F

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

nice car Matt. I went from a 318i (shite) to a 320D 100% better in all areas than the 318i - I was going to change from BMW next time, but Ive always coveted the 330D sport.

FWIW, I have the sports suspension - I love it but the missus loathes it.

lAmBoY, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Matt F

Will The Lucky One

Nice car indeed, tried to persuade my dad to take a look at second hand 3 series tourings or a 530d Touring when he changed motors last November, but he wanted a new car and they were too expensive new :(

Will, Apr 12, 2005
  8. Matt F

RDD Longterm Lurker

Couldn't agree more LS - they are absolutely lethal things for on coming traffic, I've been almost blinded many times before and have flashed the approaching car thinking they've left their high beams on only to be flashed back :eek: I'm sure they are great for driving, but then so are the Group-A spec light kits they put on the front of rally cars :mad: I was considering writting to the MOT to get their opinion of them recently.

RDD, Apr 12, 2005
  9. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

I think they've got in via a loop hole in the law, ie they're not covered as they weren't available when the law was written.
    TBH I don't understand why people need really bright dipped lights, most of the countries roads are street lit, and you can use main beam where it's not, so long as you won't dazzle oncoming traffic.
    I also think it's time a campaign was started to remove these lights from our roads. They're simply unnecessary and dangerous.

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  10. Matt F

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I used to have a 325Ci - nice car, but not so good once we had a child to lift in and out of the back. Anyway, I had the Xenon lights.... and thought they were a complete waste of money. And I got fed up with being flashed by angry oncoming drivers!

Went from the Beamer to an Audi estate.... and now I don't really get bothered about cars anymore - and that's a good thing. Lets face it, you spend most of the time sitting at traffic lights or in queues, or boxed in on the motorway so what's the point of 18" alloys and sports suspension and all that gubbins?

alanbeeb, Apr 12, 2005
  11. Matt F

tones compulsive cantater

Glad to see that other folk hate xenons as much as I do. I'd never have them, because I'd never want to do to other road users what they do to me. The TCS, Switzerland's AA/RAC, recently did a test of various lighting systems, and commented on this as one of the disadvantages (one of the others being the enormous cost of replacement bulbs (about 400 Swissies)). But, said the TCS, it's a matter of getting used to it. Presumably by going blind. I would have them banned, and people can just drive more slowly and carefully at night.

tones, Apr 12, 2005
  12. Matt F

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It's a question of how headlamps are designed.

I replaced the normal bulbs on my car with +50% Xenon bulbs (standard fitting, electrical power and colour, higher light output) and the difference is worthwhile... In the reflector headlamp design that the mitsubishi has it doesn't cause a problem for other road users.

It's the projector headlamp designs which I have problems with. I noticed one particularly bad one this morning and that was a Vauxhall Tigra (new shape). Audi's ones seem particularly bad, I don't have much problem with BMW ones. Merc ones are in between. Also the Fiat punto, current shape but pre-facelift is bad.

I-S, Apr 12, 2005
  13. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

They're all very well inside the car, the big problem is their effect on other drivers. They should be banned, nobody needs the amount of light they throw out on a streetlit road, the only reason you need headlights there is to help other cars to see you

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  14. Matt F

Ah, but there are those of us who drive on unlit country roads at night. I've never seen a reflector-based headlamp that I've had a problem with, unless it was badly adjusted. It's the projector types that are the problem IMO.

I-S, Apr 12, 2005
  15. Matt F

[​IMG]

Projector type on left, Reflector type on right.

I-S, Apr 12, 2005
  16. Matt F

Graham C

I agree 100% with Lordsummit and Tones - why should anything that is a hazard to other road users be legal? Presumably because all MPs are lawyers not tecchies, and probably fly everywhere. If you want searchlights on your car, put them on the roof pointing down over the road. Oops no - that wouldn't look cool would it??

Graham C, Apr 12, 2005
  17. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

But Isaac that's what your main beams for!

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  18. Matt F

There are many times when main beam isn't appropriate but the additional light output remains helpful and doesn't bother other road users. Also, when main beam is in use the low-beam still provides illumination closer to the car and on the verge, where main beam doesn't cover.

Have you ever had issues from a reflector headlamp?

I-S, Apr 12, 2005
  19. Matt F

lordsummit moderate mod

TBH I don't know. Most of the Xenon release ones seem to be projector unless they're like yours and upgraded reflectors. I'm sure I may be wrong on this.
    It's my opinion that there are a lot of overly bright headlights. I used to drive around the unlit lanes of Wiltshire, and never had a problem, so I just don't see the need for drivers to have such bright and dangerous lights. It's a bit like using your foglights to show that your car is sporty imho

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  20. Matt F

The foglights thing is another issue, and people using them unecessarily should be strung up.

The issue is light density. The projector lamps concentrate the light output from the bulb through a very small area (about 1 square inch). Reflectors are much larger (around 8-10 square inches or more), so the light density is much less for the same light output onto the road.

Driving out on the moors at night, every bit of light is useful, given the propensity sheep have for wandering all over the place.

The other thing is that there are ways to minimise the effects of any headlamp facing you. Try to look ahead at the kerb on your side of the road when faced with a bright headlamp.

I-S, Apr 12, 2005
Ask a Question