4 speaker stereo (gasp!)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Snoo, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Snoo

Snoo

Has anybody had a play around with this? I know it's not deemed very proper for a stereo buff and I too have always wondered why manufacturers still put the extra speaker terminals on the back of their amps. However yesterday I decided to have a bit of a fiddle.

So armed with a spare pair of Tannoy Mercury M2's I un-bi-wired my Castle Severns and ran them from my 8000sx. I then blu-tacked the M2's on top of my Severns (nice fit luckily!) and wired them to my 8000A. My first assessment was that 4 tweeters is bad! So I opened up the tannoys and disconnected the ones in here just leaving my Castles to do the delicate work.
    I couldn't really descern that one set of speakers was louder than the other which was my first worry (sensitivity mis-match). The M2's creating a bit of boom which is in their nature, but all in all I quite like the sound of it. It was quite hard to do back to back tests as 4 speakers has a lot more prescence than 2, even with 2 cranked up a little extra. It definetly had the kind of added grin factor you get when doing something funny and possibly quite silly with speakers.

I'm going to keep it this way for a bit and assess how badly it's ruining my listening experience!

So anybody else dabbled in this? Or done something else silly for the hell of it?

Snoo, Nov 2, 2006
  2. Snoo

Anex Thermionic

I ran naked through a bonfire on ecstasy once

Anex, Nov 2, 2006
  3. Snoo

zanash

intresting ....you've probabley fleshed out the upper bass and mid.

if your rooms anything like the couple I've been to this week this is exactley what they needed!

zanash, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Snoo

Snoo

That's what I was thinking. I think I'd be interested in trying some similar Castle stand mounts in the place of the Tannoys so there was more consistency in sound.

Snoo, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Snoo

zanash

or get a deq2496 !

probabley be cheaper too !

zanash, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Snoo

Snoo

The Behringer?

I think I might keep a loose eye around for a set of second hand Durham 3's after Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
    Snoo, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Snoo

zanash

yes .....I've found it very effective once I learnt how to use it

zanash, Nov 2, 2006
  8. Snoo

Snoo

They seem to be coming out with some pretty interesting stuff. They had had a lot of criticism over a bit of a legal dispute over copyright infringment of another company. But there gear always looks interesting, certainly at the prices they charge. I bought a bass amp of theirs and I must say I love it!

Snoo, Nov 2, 2006
Ask a Question