45 rpm adaptor rumble

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Aug 14, 2006.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I thought I'd slap a few rarely played 12"'s onto the lp12 yesterday, having not heard them for a year or two. Unfortunately my 45rpm adaptor doesn't seem to want to sit comfortably on the drive jobby anymore, and wobbles around making a bad rumbly noise. With the platter in place the wobble makes the bloomin armboard bounce up and down :mad: .

Any tips? Do you think the adaptor is kapput?

la toilette, Aug 14, 2006
  2. la toilette

Sid and Coke

I think that when the 45 rpm adaptor is fitted to an LP12 then it can no longer be accurately described as a High Fidelity transcription Turntable. The 45 rpm adaptor is a trully horrible bodge up. So much force is needed to fit it too that it is a wonder that something isn't damaged. After my first attept at fitting it (and failing) i resorted to sanding down the internal o-ring seal to increase its diameter.

If you have a Valhalla fitted to your deck then i would consider selling it via e-bay and fitting a Hercules PSU, these cost about £150, i managed to sell my Valhalla on e-bay for £125 about 18 months ago. There does seem to be a whole raft of them for sale at the moment though, so many other folk may be doing the same...

Sorry to sound so negative, and my comments are not meant in a superior manner, however i reckon that a simple electronic speed control is now reasonably affordable and maybe if changing speed on your deck was easier then you might be tempted to play your 45's more often.

BTW, i don't use a Hercules myself. I swapped my Valhalla out for a NOS Linn Basik PSU (e-pay £20) and off board Moth 'Flutterbuster' PSU ( e-pay £50) which i bought cheaply of e-bay.

45 rpm at the flick of a switch is where it is at and you don't need to pay Lingo prices for good performance these days......

p.s.
    regarding you wobbly adaptor, mine wobbled too, just like yours which is another why i didn't like it and very rarely used it...

Sid and Coke, Aug 14, 2006
  3. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah it is a bit nasty isn't it. Thing is, I don't have spare money for alternatives at present, but I'll certainly look into your suggestions when my money squeeze passes...! (...if it passes :rolleyes: )

Well as it seems it's the whole adaptor approach that's at fault, not mine specifically, it looks like I'll just have to put up with the wobbles for a bit longer. Arse.

la toilette, Aug 14, 2006
Ask a Question