500th Thread!! Time for a giggle.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robs, Jul 27, 2003.

1. robs

robs

robs, Jul 27, 2003
  2. robs

zanash

Six months ago [last time I bought some from RS] it was 50m roll for approx £60.

Its not as good as the double copper braid three core but then that 2.5 to 3 times the cost.

The poster on ebay is right when he says it makes ok mains cable to TNT's recipes......but I've been banging on long enough for some one to take the hint.

zanash, Jul 27, 2003
  3. robs

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

well i suppose when you add the 10 % cutting charge its still bloody stupid,hang on a minute 3 core 1.5mm is £58 for 100m ,33 x 3 meter lengths at £19.98=£632.94 :eek: ok £15 to mates:D

themadhippy, Jul 27, 2003
  4. robs

robs

HOLD HARD HIPPY!! I was there first (I WISH!!) He's got a couple more on now. Be interesting to see how he gets on..

robs, Jul 27, 2003
  5. robs

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I wonder what mains power lead that Isotek use on their 'Premium' range does look somewhat familar :eek:

wadia-miester, Jul 27, 2003
  6. robs

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

no problemo robs you carry on buying the expensive stuff from RS :D

themadhippy, Jul 27, 2003
  7. robs

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

So what does he do with the shield then? A shield is only a shield when it is grounded, otherwise it's an antenna. One end for audio, both ends for RF. Grounding to the earth pin is tricky, after all, you have to get the shield all the way to earth pin without any danger of your shield becoming a live. If you attach a pig tail to the shield, then really the plug should be solid metal and the shield attched to the entry point all the way round. This of course means that the live cable coming adrift would make the whole lot live. But that's if you want to do it properly. :D:D

Then some people would argue that you should attach the shield at the component end. Other (mad) people will argue it needs to be both ends, and to those there is only one answer........ ground loop....... Which end would you do, answers on a postcode please ;) One things for sure, shielding is tricky.

I wonder if it really is a shield as opposed to just added inductance / capacitance.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2003
    timpy, Jul 27, 2003
Ask a Question