507 or 588

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, May 10, 2004.

1. amir

amir

do you compared meridian 507 with meridian 588?
    I want to know their difference.
    tell me about them
    thanks

amir, May 10, 2004
  2. amir

sideshowbob Trisha

I used to own a 588. I heard a 507 against a Cyrus 7 and didn't think there wasn't anything in it, but the 588's very good.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 10, 2004
  3. amir

amir

in your idea cyrus 7 and meridian 507 had no difference ?

amir, May 11, 2004
  4. amir

sideshowbob Trisha

It was well over two years ago so audio memory is flakey, but there didn't seem to be much difference worth writing home about. I ended up with the Cyrus, big mistake, it was bloody awful. I then heard the 588 and really liked it. Only sold it to fund TT upgrades, I reckon it's as good as any uber-expensive CDP I've heard.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 11, 2004
  5. amir

dunkyboy

Just to complicate things I compared the Cyrus CD7 and Meridian 506.24 and found the Meridian to be much more natural and tonally even, compared to the Cyrus which seemed to overemphasize the higher frequencies and thus sound a bit thin/forward.

I bought the 506.24 and happily owned it for a year and a half or so, after which time I upgraded to a 507. The 507 IMO sounds much like the 506.24 but with a slightly more solid soundstage and greater resolution. It probably wouldn't have been worth the cost except that I got a good trade-in deal.

That said, all of this happened a good long while ago and much like Bob, my audio memory has been known to be a bit on the flakey side. :)

Dunc

P.S. - I also compared the 507 and 588 side-by-side in the same system (ATC Active 10 + ATC CA-2 preamp) and found there to be little difference between them (I thought it a similar level of difference to that between the 507 and the 506.24). Though this was a good two years ago now and I daresay I wasn't as discriminating a listener then as I am now...

dunkyboy, May 12, 2004
Ask a Question