5687 valves

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Paul V, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Paul V

Paul V

Hello

Looking for some advice from valve people please.

I have a Border Patrol pre-amp and have run it pretty constantly for about ten months as per the manual. It has a 5687 valve which I will imagine will need replacing at some point. I've been in touch with Lynn at Definitive who is very kindly sending me a replacement for when it goes. They really are the best.

Do you think I'd experience an clearly audible difference between one 5687 and another ??. I read some of the comments on Boylah's 300B thread. I've spent a few minutes on the net [www.tubedepot.com, www.tubeworld.com amongst others], and its clear some people think some valves are better than others. I've got no problem with spending £30 on a valve given the rest of the system, I can always flog it if it doesn't float my boat - would anyone recommend a particular make [cryogenically frozen or not] and if possible describe the improvements one might get ??.

Hope you can help.

Pail

Paul V, Sep 7, 2005
  2. Paul V

alexs2

Raytheon 5687s here....getting difficult to find,and Chelmer Valve have always done me proud.

I'm not convinced by the cryogenic treatments,and certainly not when the cost is taken into account,Vs a really good NOS valve in the first place....for me,I'd stick with the latter.

I'd tried a set of TungSols previously and didnt like them at all,but it may simply have been the batch,which sounded awful,although measuring fine on an AVO MkIII.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
    alexs2, Sep 7, 2005
  3. Paul V

badchamp Thermionic Member

Tung Sol for me, vast improvement on the stock (can't remember which flavour that was though). Took me a while to get used to it but wouldn't go back to the stock one now.

Jeff

badchamp, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Paul V

alexs2

Likewise here,I couldnt say what the stock tubes were,but it would have been a Russian or similar tube,but in no way comparable to decent NOS tubes,although the Russian 5U4Gs are actually pretty good,and amazingly cheap.

alexs2, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Paul V

Still can't say what the stock 5687s were but the TungSols replaced a pair of Mullard E182CC.

Paul if you want to gve them a go just to see what difference a tubes makes PM me your add and I'll whizz em over

Jeff

badchamp, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Paul V

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

the 5687 valve is one that was developed by Tang-sol for miltary use. It is a common valve as it was used in many situations. I understand it had common use in mainframe cpmputers. It was made during the 40s,50s & 60s. It was also made by peopel such as Philips, RCA GE and others.

Have a look at 5687WA valves. These are 5687 built to higher spec to match greater miltary use. This usually means better reduction to vibration and noise.

Also play around with the Mullard E182cc. This is a very high spec valve designed for very low noise applications. This and the 7119, which is the US version, can be drop in the place of 5687. These are said to be more dynamic but are costly. I have one of these in my Border Patrol amp.

One of the ones to watch is the Bendix 6900. This is a even higher rated 5687 developed for high tec air force work. Only a few of these were made and the price is sky high. Said to be my dynamic that the E182cc/7119.

All these valves have their own strengths and weaknesses and it may be a case of sucking and seeing.

Here are some interesting looking valves. Not sure how good or bad they are.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6900-TUBES-GO...ryZ67816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.tubedepot.com/cr-ts5687.html

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Paul V

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

For many years I have used a number of incarnations of the quite exceptional Arthur Loesch preamplifier design build up myself

(the preamp is now available commercially from www.tempoelectric.com who also have a page on what valves they like

http://www.tempoelectric.com/tubes.htm#stage3-5687

).

This preamp design uses either 6922 or 5687 in the linestage, I liked the 5687 version better. I have tried maybe 6 or 7 different 5687's, the best I found in that preamp are GE ***** (aka five star) 5687, black anode. I have also tried E182CC/7119/7044 et al, they sound a little brighter but to my ears a little flatter too and are not always an upgrade over the 5687.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Paul V

T-bone Sanchez

T, is Arthur any relative?

T-bone Sanchez, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Paul V

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

No, he's a co-incidence (except, as I always say, coincidences aren't).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Paul V

Paul V

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'll get a couple of valves over the next few months and have a listen !!.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Paul V

alexs2

Well worth giving Chelmer valve a ring,as the owner is very happy to give advice,as well as letting you know exactly what NOS tubes are around.

His prices have always been competitive,and the website doesnt give half of what's actually there...it only lists the new stuff.

alexs2, Sep 13, 2005
  12. Paul V

Paul,

Offers still open :)

Jeff

badchamp, Sep 13, 2005
  13. Paul V

alexs2

On your recommendation,and that of SCIDB,I may give a set of E182CCs a go as well....it's a drop-in replacement for the 5687,if I've read it correctly?

alexs2, Sep 13, 2005
  14. Paul V

Paul V

Tried the E182CC in my Border Patrol pre at the weekend that Jeff so very kindly sent to me [thanks a lot Jeff, they will be back with you soon].

On removing the cover found out that the 5687 was a Jan Phillips model [they look about as cheap as chips as 5687s come]. The E182CC does indeed just drop in.

It sounded much like a 5687 in my amp, I didn't detect much difference in tone or any obvious effect on the music. It was an awful lot noisier though. In between records the hum was MUCH, MUCH more noticeable. The amps I've got aren't deathly quiet but with 5687 and without it was like the difference between say a 180g pressing and an unloved 120g [the RCA reissue of Station to Station by David Bowie in the early 90s springs to mind].

Those of you who run amps on E182CCs might want to try a cheapo 5687...

I shall try other 5687s soon and let you know the results !!.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 20, 2005
  15. Paul V

Paul,

The E182CC was indeed much more akin to the stock 5687 that the Audions had, a little bit smoother, more focused maybe. I definately felt that it was an improvement but I agree certainly not night and day. Indeed they may be a bit "noisy'".

The TungSol, however, is a lot more open and lively with more top end. I certainly can't see myself going back to the E182CC. Might give some Raytheons a go though.

Anyway nothin' ventured.....

I'll PM you my address unless you want to keep them for future reference (see above :D )

ATB
    Jeff

badchamp, Sep 20, 2005
  16. Paul V

Paul V

Guys

Bought a 50's Tungsol and 60's Raytheon 5687 from www.tubeworld.com the other day. They're in the US. Total including post $40, or £20-odd quid.

Fantastic service - ordered valves Friday, here by air mail on Tuesday. Wonderful.

Who knows, the valves might turn out to be crap, but they sure can get down the post office tout suite !!.

Will let you know how I get on with them.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 28, 2005
  17. Paul V

Cool,

I'll be interested to hear how they sound.

I'm sure one of them at least will give a noticeable improvement.

Does sound an excellent service.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
    badchamp, Sep 28, 2005
Ask a Question