6 channel power amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Hi all,

I'm toying with the thought of building a Linkwitz Orion . It needs six channels of amp power. Doing this the conventional way would require 3 stereo amps. No thanks.

There are 6 channel power amps from the HT scene, among them the Belcanto. Is it competitive with a really good conventional power amp (I'm currently using an Accuphase E408 integrated which seems to be rather good)?

Alternatively, should I build a DIY amp like Michael (I'd go for a less pretty case and save some money)?

I'm a bit wary of switching amps. I had a TACT Millenium at home for a while and it didn't do much for me. I'm also more than a bit afraid that all that switchery will muck up the sound of my analog rig. I think the only waý to keep switch mode power supplies from sullying the mans would be one of them Never Connected thingies, but they don't come large enough for power amp duties.

Or should I build a conventional 6 channel amp, for example using Avondale's modules?

Or should I just forget about all this, stick with 2 channel and build a passive crossover?

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  2. Markus S

dat19 blind test terrorist

2 x 3 channel amps

You could try 2, 3 channel power amps, which would allow you to put one amp next to each speaker and run line-level inetrconnects instead of 10guage everywhere :)

Brytson make a nice three channel power amp, and the (normally 5 channel) 9BST can be ordered in 3 channel configuration.

dat19, Apr 28, 2004
  3. Markus S

Markus S Trade

2 x 3 is an idea that crossed my mind, for exactly the reason you mention. But I'd then have to run 3 interconnects to the speakers, as the crossover Linkwitz specifies handles both channels.

Not so sure about Bryston, though. I don't have much experience of them, but I've never heard a system with Bryston amps and liked it. No idea whether this was down to the Brystons or other elements of those systems; I've never heard them at home. People whose ears I generally trust tell me that the SST series amps are a significant advance over the ST series, though.

Anyway, over here in Europe, 2 9BSTs would be a little expensive.

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Markus S

Robbo

Markus,

Go for the Belcanto, you cant go wrong with it.

Robbo, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Markus S

merlin

Markus,

look out for a Classe CAV75, used should be about £600-£700. It offers 6 channels of 75w into 8ohms and doesn't sound bad.

I like the look of the speakers, I'm half way through a not too dissimilar project myself, but don't really know whether I'll get to finish it off.

merlin, Apr 28, 2004
  6. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Classé is another brand whichI'd not want to spend money on without having heard the amp at home. The only demos I've heard were at shows, with B&W speakers. Nice tonality, but no sense of rhythm and excitement whatsoever - booooring. Again, may have been down to other factors.

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Markus S

joel Shaman of Signals

Hey Markus,
    Now you have a proper amp ;) why not get some proper speakers for them instead:D
    Only kidding, but that does seem to be an awful lot of time and money for what exactly...
    FWIW, Accuphase do a 6-channel power amp, the PX-600. 6x100wpc apparently.

joel, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

Markus - I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Belcanto. Building a 6ch. amp DIY using the LC Audio modules wouldn't be that cheap, but it would be cheaper than a Belcanto by some margin. Incidentally the case for my amp didn't cost that much. 90 USD including shipping + about 22 Euros in customs and VAT.

You mention switch mode power supplies sullying the mains but most switching amps don't use switch mode PSUs. Mine for instance uses a regular linear PSU with a massive 800VA toroidal :)

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Joel, you have a PT.

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  10. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Right. I was a little careless in phrasing my post. To clarify: hf switching, whether it's done in the power supply or in the output stage, tends to sully the mains, or so I believe. I'm not an engineer and cannot provide technical proof for this assertion, but enough technical reviews I've read seem to indicate that this is indeed a mechanism which I'd better be wary about.

Michael, how is the LC thing configured for clocking? Does it run off a quartz clock like a CD player or does it oscillate? What I wouldn't want to have is several digital clocks without synchronisation.

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  11. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

The LC Audio modules oscilate naturally (can't remember the switching frequency off the top of my head) but they can be synced off an external clock and LC Audio strongly recommend you do that for 3 or more modules in the same box.

I find it hard to see how the HF switching could get back to the mains through all the PSU caps and the massive toroidal transformer. The more likely problem is RF interferance. Earlier versions of the LC Audio ZAPPulse modules were quite bad (or good, depending on your viewpoint) RF transmitters :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  12. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Oh, there is a far easier way for the dirt: the system earth.

Agree with you about the RF problem.

Markus S, Apr 28, 2004
  13. Markus S

sane4sure

I know this may be a little 'conventional' for you, but how about TAG Mclaren 100x5R:10? Second hand prices should be slipping now and you can reconfigure one simply by changing or adding modules.

sane4sure, Apr 29, 2004
  14. Markus S

lowrider Live music is surround

I also have the eVo 6 and ordered another for my brother, it also doesnt have switch mode power supplies, and sounds much better than the Bryston ST I had before...

1500 VA toroidal for the 6 120 watts channels, bridgeable 2 by 2 to 360 watts...

lowrider, Apr 29, 2004
  15. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Looks like the Belcanto gets a lot of support. Can it be reconfigured from 110 to 230 Volts?

One problem: I remembered I don't need 6 but 8 channels of amplification. Would probably mean I need two 200.4 amps. Do those sound the same as the other versions?

Anybody have the Belcanto website?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2004
    Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  16. Markus S

Same box same toroidal, less channels, can only be better...

http://www.belcantodesign.com/

You can order it either 120 or 240, or change inside if you are so inclined...

lowrider, Apr 29, 2004
  17. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Thanks for the link. According to this review , I would need not 2 but 4 200.4s or eVo4s. Out of the question.

Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  18. Markus S

What do you mean need... ;)

lowrider, Apr 29, 2004
  19. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Well, I wouldn't want an amp that was no better than a Quad 909, would I?:D

Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  20. Markus S

I do use it bridged... :rolleyes: