8000 a/p combo? Cheap CD player? HELP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jebustheone, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jebustheone

jebustheone

Hi there im new to this forum, and im relatively inexperienced in the audio world.

I have an audiolab 8000a, and i was wondering if it was possible to add on an 8000p, the 8000a preamp controlling both the A's power and the P's power amps for bi amping. This might sound simple but some comfusing threads i have been reading (that might not be exactly what wanted to know) are saying stuff about isolating inside pre/power amps and god knowsa what....

Also, i listen to CDs whenever possible but my only cd playing devices are my pc(too much elec£££, and crappy noisy sound card), and a £20 dvd player from my local tescos. I do use ebay frequently so any s-hand CDP for less than £100 (or anything that will make a diff TBH).

Many thanks, Jacques :confused:

jebustheone, Oct 27, 2006
  2. jebustheone

zanash

I think so ....but others could definately say.....

you may need to tell us what your speakers are !

the last time I heard a similar combo it was very in your face ..so a bright cdp may not be the best .......

From my experience I'd look to one with a valve output stage but would be difficult at your budget ...and off the wall suggestion would be a behringer deq2496 to act as a dac and may be tame the 8000's in your face sound

zanash, Oct 28, 2006
  3. jebustheone

jebustheone

hi, my speakers are the old kef 104/2. Ive been told that they match quite well with the audiolab gear, although both show up shi**y equipment thouroughly, i beleive :rolleyes:

jebustheone, Oct 30, 2006
  4. jebustheone

zanash

unremittingly analytical ?

ooch ......

a good cheap cd would be a new marantz cd5000 series [with the very large caveat] that is need tweaking. Just standard stuff I've done a couple now with very good results ...if you a dab hand with a soldering iron its easy and straight forward.

you could look for a second hand arcam alpha 5 but there not cheap anymore.

have you anything in mind?

zanash, Oct 30, 2006
  5. jebustheone

jebustheone

What mods would the marantz need? Im not to good with a soldergun, but im sure i could visit my s.dad who would do it for me perhaps (he is an electrician).

cd 5400
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD540...272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290044225099

CD 6000
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....60046949942&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Ive noticed that the marantz cd 52/54/64 whatever go very cheap (on ebay, im ebay mad), as do the technics spl/mash cd players. Would you reccommend either of these models?

jebustheone, Oct 30, 2006
  6. jebustheone

zanash

I've modded the cd5001 ....if you pm me I'll give you a run down ...or contact davef

if you spot a cd67 they go cheap and have a good sound [I've modded one of those too]

zanash, Oct 30, 2006
  7. jebustheone

Snoo

Hi mate.

Yep you can use your 8000a as a pre amp and the 8000p as a power (or an 8000sx or px).

You run a set of IC's from the a (power amp out) to the 8000p (power in!).

If you have biwireable speakers you can run the tweeters from the 8000a and the mid/bass from the 8000p.

I run an 8000a with an 8000sx in this configuration. Can reccomend B&W speakers or Castles.

For a CDP you could look around for an Old arcam such as the Alpha 7 etc which should sound lovely.

Snoo, Oct 30, 2006
Ask a Question