99.9997 silver cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Apr 6, 2008.

1. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

Any one seen these cables before (www.zaolla.com/ - 6k )

They manufacture interconnects and speaker cable from 99.9997
    purity. and dolphin music stock them £151.36 inc for 1.5 metres
    of speaker cable. interconnects cost £53.73 for 0.9 pair

both speaker cable and interconnects look like top notch to me
    any thoughts (oceanobsession)

oceanobsession, Apr 6, 2008
  2. oceanobsession

johnandchris

Silver manufacturers (if you can call them that) will only guarantee 4 nines (99.99) purity. Any claims aver and above this cannot be substantiated.
    Regards
    JOhn

johnandchris, Apr 6, 2008
  3. oceanobsession

Class A

I love to see the paper work for their so called 99.9997 purity silver. I happen to know the only cable makers who use 99.999 purity and thats as high as you can get it. I have seen their paper work BTW.

Class A, Apr 7, 2008
  4. oceanobsession

Tenson Moderator

Does that extra 0.009% sound better, then?

Tenson, Apr 7, 2008
  5. oceanobsession

zanash

I agree ......

you can get 5n but it cost about 8 time more than 4n which can be as much as 3x the cost of standard silver ...so if this is not reflected in the final price you can safely assume something is possibly not right.

Secondly any assay is normally only carried out on the original batch of ingots ...not even the ingot that the wire is drawn .....The cost of assaying individual wire batches would add about £35 plus the cost of administration etc ....

thirdly as far as I'm aware this is only one refinery in europe that produces 5n ingots......

fourthly there is some evidence [anecdotal] that the purity has an effect .....I've used 925 [92.5%] and nominal 4n[99.98-99.99%] in identical cables and found I can hear a difference in my system. The supplier I use can only garentee 99.98 -99.99% due to the reasons previously stated.

zanash, Apr 7, 2008
  6. oceanobsession

Class A

well, you can try some and trust your ears....Also you can buy cheap silver cables from Maplin and others alike but a well treated 5n just sound awesome to my ears. Theres alot of hype about silver cables sounding harsh...thats bull since silver is the best conductor of electricity and a well engineered cable should not have "A typical sound" at all. If you believe same material sounds the same then why not buy some cheap copper power wires from B&Q and use them as your speaker cables???????? BTW, only place in Europe that produce top notch silver is in Spain.
    Just my half cent....

Class A, Apr 7, 2008
  7. oceanobsession

zanash

yes anyone who says silver is harsh ...has not heard silver more likely silver plated copper masquerading as silver !

oft told tale about an expensive silver ic ...that when I refitted the plugs found that it was just silver plated copper !

Maplins selling silver ....hum think not ! unless you mean the shark cable if so ...it may be why silver has a bad reputation as this cables dire ...imo of course ...

as you rightly say Spain produces the finest silver .....

I had thought unoxidized aluminum had a higher conductivity ...[must check my data books ...can't find it on the web] ...but falls down when you expose to the air ...

zanash, Apr 7, 2008
  8. oceanobsession

Class A

I recently bought some very cheap 4N solid silver core wires from a company online to check out and they sounded absolute pants. The point I'm trying to make is not what you have but what you do with it and having good properties is a great start but you still have to engineer it, get it right through measurements to have a great sounding cable.

I have since come away from silver cables to large gauge (6 )single solid core treated high property copper+ cryo treatment and other physics techniques and my god do they sound awesome.

Cheers.

Class A, Apr 7, 2008
  9. oceanobsession

cooky1257

Doesn't it strike you as rather odd that the copper used elsewhere in the systems where a so called 92% /4n/5n silver purity cables are used managed to resolve the differences?

cooky1257, Apr 7, 2008
  10. oceanobsession

zanash

the only answer to that is ...just think how a system would sound if it was enterly wired with your chosen conductor....and I don't just mean all the ic's....

I've hard wired small electronic components ie dacs with silver their perceived performance has no relation to how it originally sounded ....I would not go so far as to say which was best they were just very different[2x lite dac ah's]...

Oddly both were bought from hk with an interval of six months and both failed within a year to within a week interms of ownership [one was modded and the other stock...]

there must be a moral there... but I only paided £30 each so can't grumble too much.

zanash, Apr 8, 2008
Ask a Question