A £500 Cdp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lautrec, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Lautrec

zanash

The AAA5 can sound a bit laid back ......

Mr Sukebe had a listen to my AA5z against the Quad99cdp2...he actually prefered the more musical presentation, thought lower resolution of the quad to the more detailed AA5z.

Though as said the AA5z has had no work done on the lower boards yet.

The E5 is definately an up and at them presentation ..but not in your face Jimbo's is quite cable dependant too.

zanash, Jan 14, 2007
  2. Lautrec

Lautrec

Hey but that's £300 against £800, isn't it?

Lautrec, Jan 14, 2007
  3. Lautrec

Neil

I imagine the 'z' mods to the aaa5 must make a substantial difference. As mentioned earlier I sold my E5 to an aaa3 owner. There was some extended listening done - over 2 nights - before he bought the E5. His system was 'full-on' Naim, (as I'm not really familiar with high end Naim the numbers may not be accurate..) a 72 pre with Naim power supply into 2 180s(?) via NACA5 to Linn Isobariks. He really liked the system but was finding some listening a bit "edgy" in long sessions. The E5 seemed to smooth things a little without losing any detail or dynamics.
    The differences between the 2 in my system (Richard Maille modded WAD Kit88 to Merlin VSMs. Cables - Kimber or dpa) were not so noticable at moderate listening levels but the aaa5 seemed harsh at loud volume.

Neil, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Lautrec

T-bone Sanchez

do you convert tp nos Pete?

T-bone Sanchez, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Lautrec

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just reading through the posts, it seems one of the best options hasn't been discussed (?) unless I've missed it.

... a squeezebox 3, store the music on your hard-drive.

instant access to your whole collection at a push of a button. Also, enjoy a massive selection of internet radio stations through your hifi.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squeezebox-3-...ryZ73839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At £170, if you want the last word in fidelity you can blow another £330 on a stand-alone dac.

I think you might find the dac in the SB3 good enough... but if not, I'd bet you could buy a good enough standalone dac for £330 to put most integrated cd players at £500 in their place.

a few examples in your ball-park

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audio-Synthes...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/the-dice-Non-...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bottleneck, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Lautrec

felix part-time Horta

Quite, like this:
    http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/rega/rega_planet.html

£15 or so in parts transforms a Mk1 Planet, but on balance I would no longer bother spending money on the reclocking - ultimately the performance is limited by the dac and integrated output stage parts.

felix, Jan 14, 2007
  7. Lautrec

Lautrec

all true, except that you didn't put any server into account. a decent machine changes the bill, you can't make it safe under 1000 or so.

Lautrec, Jan 14, 2007
  8. Lautrec

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

That's true, I was presuming he already had a computer.

If he does, all it needs to have is a wireless card (if he wants to use the SB wirelessly), and a decent sized hard-drive.

I'd disagree that it costs a thousand pounds! - a few hundred more like (unless he already has one)

bottleneck, Jan 15, 2007
  9. Lautrec

nando nando

hi, try a m.f. 3.5 cdp, pm me if you are interested,regards nando.

nando, Jan 15, 2007
  10. Lautrec

johnhunt recidivist

another brilliant post nada

johnhunt, Jan 15, 2007
Ask a Question