A/B DAC comparison

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DrMartin, Feb 16, 2010.

1. DrMartin

DrMartin

Hello,

I'm currently using a Sony XA20 ES as a transport into a Cambridge DAC Magic via SPDIF cable into a Quad 99 pre-amp.

I would like to do a running A/B comparison between the on-board Sony DAC and the DAC Magic.

I was wondering if it would do any harm to anything if I were to keep the Dac Magic running into Aux 1 on the pre-amp but then also connect the analogue output from the Sony into Aux 2 on the pre-amp and then switch back and forth between them in order to do the comparison?

Would this be ok and would it provide a proper comparison or would the output from the Sony get all confused?

DrMartin, Feb 16, 2010
  2. DrMartin

RobHolt Moderator

That should work fine and there is certainly no harm that can be done.

Personally I would say that such a test is absolutely fine and will tell you everything you need to know but there are two things to consider, one important the other arguably less so.

Firstly you must ensure that the two sources are level matched as any difference in replay level can skew the result.
    Secondly, any noise on the ground line of one source could potentially pollute the signal of the other as the ground connection on the amplifier inputs is usually common.
    It wouldn't concern me at all unless I knew of a particular issue, but such a thing just might influence proceedings.

RobHolt, Feb 17, 2010
  3. DrMartin

Andy 831

Yes done exactly this camparison myself but with a different Dac and cd player, so it should be ok

Andy 831, Feb 17, 2010
  4. DrMartin

DrMartin

Thanks for that, all done now.

Well, it wasn't perfect because, as Rob mentioned there might be, there was a slight difference in output levels between the two with the Sony's ouput being slightly louder.

That aside, first impressions are that the Dac magic sounds quite a bit brighter than the Sony. There is more detail in the treble with the Dac Magic but I still don't really like the overall presentation which just seems to over-emphasise the higher frequencies.

The result:

I'm now on the lookout for a new CD player & DAC, either integrated or separates. I'm prepared to spend around £2.5k and I want something that gives me all the deatail but without the lean & dry sound that seems so typical of most cheaper CDPs.

I thought about something with a valve output stage? I was looking at reviews of the Shanling offerings last night but they all said that they sounded a bit lean, which surprised me. That's not what I'm after. Has anyone got any suggestions for a CDP with detail & warmth?

DrMartin, Feb 18, 2010
  5. DrMartin

Hamilton

I think you can expect plenty of suggestions but I'll get in first with Monarchy Audio Dac - latest M24 is well within budget and has tube dac/output stage. Haven't heard it myself but reviews are very positive and designer CC Poon has always made beautiful dacs to my ears - warm, detailed, musical and just 'right'. I use an M22C and you can occasionally pick up one of those second hand. Would leave you plenty for a nice transport (CEC Belt Drive?), or get your CDs ripped to PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
    Hamilton, Feb 19, 2010
  6. DrMartin

muzzer

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
    muzzer, Feb 19, 2010
  7. DrMartin

DrMartin

Thanks for the replies - which led me to do some research. I should point out that I'm a complete novice when it comes to the finer points of the technical aspects of digital reproduction but I'm starting to get a rough idea about what's what and it is all starting to make sense when I relate what I've been reading to what I've been hearing.

You all probably know all this already but I feel the need to set out what I think??? I've discovered so far. From the various articles and forum discussions that I've seen there seems to be a consensus that up-sampling (as opposed to over-sampling) can often produce a harsh / overly bright sound and that a large part of this is caused by 'jitter' (I don't actually know what jitter is yet by the way) Anyway, this would explain (to me at least) the difference in sound that I noticed between the DAC in my 12 year old Sony player and the sound ffrom the DAC Magic, which I found to be a bit bright on first audition.

I'm also led to believe that you can't just plonk any old DAC on the end of any old transport and expect it all to work well together because of something to do with 'clocks'??? I need to look into this a bit more because there is no point in me having the best DAC in the world if it isn't going to work in harmony with my transport?

Oh well, back to the research ...

DrMartin, Feb 19, 2010
  8. DrMartin

Purite Audio Purite Audio

The 'computer audiophile' forum is most informative, Keith.

Purite Audio, Feb 20, 2010
  9. DrMartin

muzzer

This dac should suit your needs but then I'm biased as I have one.:D
    http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/paradox_dac.htm
    Combine it with a used Meridian 500 or Stello transport and you will have sweet music, or you could use a computer as you transport but thats a whole different ball game.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
    muzzer, Feb 20, 2010
  10. DrMartin

RobHolt Moderator

That's never been my experience, ie you can put most transports and dacs together and get perfectly good results.

I think what you've discovered in searching the web for opinion is that audiophiles typically spend too much time obsessing over the minutiae of these things. Stop worrying about clocks and jitter - all but the very worst and most basic (and mostly old) digital systems don't have an audible jitter issue.
    Same with up-sampling - there are many good dacs out there using this method that do not sound harsh.

I've said what I think about putting a tube line stage on the end of a cd player or dac before, but essentially this only adds distortion and acts as a filter. It is quite pleasant distortion in small doses but it exists nevertheless. I'm certainly not anti valve but they serve no purpose tacked onto a SS dac other than acting as a subtle tone control.

RobHolt, Feb 20, 2010
  11. DrMartin

zanash

why not try the quad 99cdp

zanash, Feb 20, 2010
  12. DrMartin

Tenson Moderator

The Sony ES player I heard (was previously Rob's) had a very soft sound. I don't think many DACs sound like that. Perhaps you should look in to something called a NOS DAC. They tend to have a softer sound. The cheaper ones using the Philips TDA1543 chip are a bit messy sounding but the better ones using the TDA1541 chip can sound very good and still retain the more gentle presentation.

Tenson, Feb 20, 2010
  13. DrMartin

muzzer

It all depends on the implementation.;)

muzzer, Feb 20, 2010
  14. DrMartin

Tenson Moderator

I have never heard it sound great. It sounds smooth and 'nice' but gets confused with complex stuff. The 1543 was designed for video recorders and TVs. The 1541 was designed for hi-fi.

Tenson, Feb 20, 2010
  15. DrMartin

RobHolt Moderator

The top loading 3000ES?

That had user selectable filters and some of those certainly produced quite visible and audible response changes.

RobHolt, Feb 20, 2010
  16. DrMartin

muzzer

You should listen to mine then!

muzzer, Feb 21, 2010
  17. DrMartin

Tenson Moderator

What is it?

I'd be interested in hearing it if you can bring it over? I don't drive.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2010
  18. DrMartin

RobHolt Moderator

Ah, like vinyl then ;)

RobHolt, Feb 21, 2010
  19. DrMartin

muzzer

muzzer, Feb 21, 2010
  20. DrMartin

AndrewLB

Dr Martin,
    In the Sony/Dacmagic comparison, did you try all the various filter settings of the Dacmagic? I would be interested to know if you thought they made very much difference. (I'm assuming you have the recent Dacmagic, not the old version).

AndrewLB, Feb 26, 2010
Ask a Question