A bargain...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by voodoo, Sep 11, 2003.

1. voodoo

voodoo OdD

voodoo, Sep 11, 2003
  2. voodoo

michaelab desafinado

I saw that when I was looking for a T1 myself but £400 is too much for the transport on its own and I didn't want the DAC. I'm not sure you could sell the DAC for much more than £100 so you're still looking at £300 for the T1 which is £100 more than I paid :cool:

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 11, 2003
  3. voodoo

dex

I bought it

Well guys,
    I bought it to replace my my old Yamaha CD player. Did the demo at Loud and Clear in Glasgow and it sounded well dynamic enough although my speakers were a little out of there depth in the largish listening room downstairs. (Absolutley no bass)

If you read my post about "big vs small gear" you'll see what I think about it.

I think it's sounding rather nice over a wide range of listening material.

Cheers,
    Dex

dex, Sep 13, 2003
  4. voodoo

michaelab desafinado

Congrats! You've got a great transport :D Seriously though, I've never heard the DAC nor read anything about it so I'm glad you like it.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 13, 2003
  5. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Nice one - I'm glad somebody picked it up :) .

I was tempted myself (for a wee project) but money was just burning a whole in my pocket :( .

voodoo, Sep 13, 2003
  6. voodoo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Steve, call now Toll free, and we can help :) All problems in this vein can be remedied .

wadia-miester, Sep 13, 2003
  7. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Tone, you sound just like Russ Andrews :D

:duck:

voodoo, Sep 13, 2003
  8. voodoo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Now Steve, I'm mortaly wounded :chop: that is so unfair, why I have you know, we just beat-up of complaining customers rather then refund their cash :D
    I think you may find we certainly arn't aiming to emulate the infamous boarders marketing machine :) WM

wadia-miester, Sep 13, 2003
  9. voodoo

BlueMax

Careful now! RA is the role model to some 'hi-fi' traders.

:kneel:

BlueMax, Sep 13, 2003
  10. voodoo

penance Arrogant Cock

is that a metaphore for megalomaniac???

penance, Sep 13, 2003
  11. voodoo

Tenson Moderator

Sorry if this is an old thread I just found it through google..

I am looking at buying a Teac VRDS-T1 Transport and Teac D-T1 DAC secondhand and I just wanted your opinions on the sound.

I have an Arcam Alpha9 at the moment. Do you think this is an upgrade, equal or worse?

I want to get a two box seperate player so that I can use a Behringer DEQ2496 between them in the digital streem.

I'm looking at about £350 for the pair.

BTW is this a UK based Hi-Fi forum? I see allot of you are in the UK and I didn't know there was a 'big' UK based forum!

Cheers!

Tenson, Nov 12, 2003
  12. voodoo

Robbo

Hi Tenson,

Welcome to the forum. Zerogain is predominantely a UK based forum but there are quite a number of members from far flung places!

Personally, if you have not already done so, I would hang onto the Alpha9 and get it working optimally by giving it some clean power with either a decent power cable or a mains isolation transformer. I would then get it a decent support to sit on such as a seismic sink. You may like the results so much you wont want to upgrade!

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Nov 12, 2003
  13. voodoo

Tenson Moderator

It's not so much the upgrade of the cd player that i am interested in. Its beeing able to use the Behringer DEQ2496 digital in and out rather than useing its analog inputs as that means the signal has to go through 2 more d/a, a/d converters thus degradeing the sound.

So as long as the Teac combo sounds AS good as the alpha9 then I'll be happy!

Tenson, Nov 12, 2003
  14. voodoo

HenryT

HenryT, Nov 12, 2003
  15. voodoo

michaelab desafinado

Here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3058284724&category=3272

T1 and the DAC that went with it. Currently at £205, which really would be a bargain but it's bound to go higher than that.

Tenson - I doubt that the Teac T1/D-T1 combo would match the Alpha 9. That Arcam is a cracking player. The T1 is a fantastic transport, especially when modified (like mine is) :MILD: but you'd probably want a somewhat better DAC than the Teac D-T1.

You say you found the thread through Google? I'm amazed as I've been trying to get the threads to index on Google for ages and wasn't having much success - what search terms did you use?

EDIT: I just did some google searches myself and WOW! it does look like the threads are being indexed by the archive linker :banana: :slayer:

Cheers and welcome to the forum,
    Michael.

michaelab, Nov 12, 2003
  16. voodoo

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

I'm not the greatest fan of the Alpha 9 cdp, but I doubt that much driving the Teac D-T1 would present anything approaching an upgrade.

As Robbo says, the 9 seemed very tweakable, even in non-invasive (i.e. keeping the lid on) ways, I'd go down that route in your shoes. The VRDS-T1 is a better transport out of the box than it's accompanying DAC, even if it seemed a little "musically ponderous" before we ripped the lid off. The DAC is an also ran at best IMO, it's not nasty and it's not rubbish, and it certainly won't frighten anybody, but the Alpha 9 will laugh at it especially with a decent power cord and something nice in the rack isolation stakes.

Cheers

timpy, Nov 12, 2003
  17. voodoo

dex

Too late Voodoo,
    They're mine all mine. I bought them about 4-5 months ago. I know they were still still on the Loud & Clear website 2 months ago, but it should have been updated by now.

Anyway the sound is smooth, relatively dynamic but slightly un-involving. Bass cannot be faulted (Rafter and joist shaking enough). Treble is bang on the money, but midrange is subdued compared to my mates CD5 which is red hot in atttack and aggression with heavy guitar based stuff. The VRDS-T1, D-T1 combo is a bit weak in this area, but I suppose it depends on what kind of sound you like.

I also noticed that when I listened to my brothers Yamaha 493 CD/Nadc320/Eltax Syphomy 4s (my old kit, which I sold to him at a very reasonable price, honest), snare drums and electric guitars were much more prominent than on my new TEAC/MS25i stuff. The general soundstage and frequency extreme capabilities of my new system are however much better. It's also better and more composed at higher SPL levels, probably due to much better construction than my old kit (Speakers creating mechanical and acoustic feedback). Bad vibes man!!!!

Not at all sure on the merits of the DAC I bought vs others available cos I haven't heard any other DACS in my setup but compared to my mates NaimCD5, Nait5, Monitor Audio8i setup which we had in my living room its more than damn good for the money and enjoyable, it just needs a bit more bite and involvement.

Dex

dex, Nov 15, 2003
  18. voodoo

Tenson Moderator

What ways can you tweak it if you take the lid off? I had a look inside and it did not seem to easy to tweak. Black gates and AD op-amps all round... not much room for easy improvements as I could see it.

One thing I am a tiny bit worried about my Alpha 9 is that when I play CD-R's it sometimes has trouble reading them. Usually after about 6 hours of being on. Even if it is a CD-R it has been fine with before, now and then it will get chopping noises in the music and skip. If you take the CD out or power it off it will fix it. Not always right away but if you wait a while it will play it again. I have giving it plenty of room for ventilation and tried slower burning and better CD-R's but it still does it now and again. Anybody else encounter this issue?

BTW, I ave decided to keep the Alpha9 as I have also decided against the Behringer DEQ2496 so I don't need to have a separate DAC and transport anymore!

Tenson, Nov 16, 2003
Ask a Question