A Breath Of Fresh Air To Music Lovers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Oct 24, 2008.

1. nando

SCIDB Moderator

Yes, last week. It was quite busy. It had a range of stuff at the cheap end to get people interested in hifi. They sell the Cambridge Audio range which is good for the money stuff. The staff are quite helpful. The shop in Sheffield has expanded due to doing good business

As I have said before, they do sell stuff at the bottom end of the market which a number of hifi dealers don't.

So what is your opinion of richer sounds? It seems it's not good.

Word of mouth can be a very good way of getting business. But is it enough?

What about the questions I asked in my previous posts. How do you cater for the new casual youngster, the ones new to hifi? How are you going to get them through the door? What bottom end products do you sell (apart from the Teac unit)?

How many of your customers are under 21? World of mouth alright but if the ears belong to older people, your customer base may not get any younger.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 29, 2008
  2. nando

nando nando

hi scidb,, this a very good question for those that we must bring back to the industry, i am alone as to do in this, i have no help from distrbutors or support with in the industry, i have meatings here in hammersmith with local students once a week and is going well, apart from teac i do denon , but no other high street mass produced items, yes richer sounds are good for the youth because they have the financial power to do so and is good because as they get wise and earn money they will want to upgrade and go further afield, so what jjulian does is superve,, what does it stop other dealers from doing the same? low, mid, high, with out prejudice or averice,beats me, i am 52 years old now but i am still very much part of this industry, i love it although i have my rivals but i don't care, i just let them go with the flow, as for me well my wish is that it could be as the good old days, just dreaming, ha ha, one can only try to do as best as it can,wish i could do more,
    regards...
    nando

nando, Oct 29, 2008
  3. nando

Seeker_UK

Seeker walks into Richer Sounds in Holborn.

"Hello, do you have any HDCD players?"

"What's HDCD?"

Seeker walks out of Richer Sounds, Holborn.

Seeker_UK, Oct 29, 2008
  4. nando

nando nando

amazing, nothing evers seams to happen! hdcd cd players? dvd's, i-pods, blue ray, red book, reel to reel, 8 tracck, el cassette, 78,s i give up
    nando

nando, Oct 29, 2008
  5. nando

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I only had one amusing/frustrating experience with Richer Sounds, after making a 30mile round trip...

Hello I've come for the last pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones you said you've put on one side for me...

assistant "can't see em..."

"Gary have you seen those HD600's anywhere?"

Sorry sold em bout 10 minutes ago.

"erm sorry about that" - (thinks...) "would you like a Viz Crap Jokes book?,
    - we're only meant to give them out with purchases."

Gee Thanks.

SMEagol, Oct 29, 2008
  6. nando

nando nando

I KNOW THAT "treek or treat" it happend when we were in covent garden and they tried to sell you another model, , my issue is what and how we can all create a genuine retail system to cater for all? etoupia! one can always dream,
    nando

nando, Oct 29, 2008
  7. nando

Seeker_UK

Seems to have took off in the US more than over here. Which is a shame 'cos I bought the entire set of Mike Oldfield HDCDs and could never find a player to really test them on. :rolleyes:

Seeker_UK, Oct 30, 2008
  8. nando

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Nando,

What do you do at these meeting with students at Hammersmith?

The industry needs to get people younger than (as well as ) university/college students interested. I became interested in hifi at around 12/13. I bought my own separates at 16. During the time from 12 to 21, I read magazines, visited many hifi shops, went to hifi shows and upgraded my system a few times.

At school, there were a few kids who were interested in hifi. I remember bringing a copy of What Hifi to school and getting interest from others wanting to have a look. I went to my first hifi show when I was 13. How is the industry going to get young kids interested in hifi these days?

My first system cost me £150 (which was alot of money to me in 1981). You can buy a new system (cd player, amp & speakers) from Richers Sounds for less than £150 these days. So in real terms it is cheaper. People are spending their money on other things.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 30, 2008
  9. nando

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Seeker,

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens in many other retailers.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 30, 2008
  10. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bought my first stuff from richers, at the age of about 18.

bet a lot of people on here did.

bottleneck, Oct 30, 2008
  11. nando

nando nando

scib

during our meatings and feed back from those student's who as you problaby know, they are well aware of british hi-fi- or other but when we meet to discuss the mater of were to go for advice and guidance they are very dissapointed by dealers as well as astronical prices from distributers and most retailers guiden them to x-boxes and so forth, teac systems start from £200.00 up most of them start at a budget of £400.00 up and they "well" almost have ipod's but like something more isoteric looking and sounding, without costing the earth, hence i am selling and introducing them to FATMAN produts, both gendas love them, specially the girls, they have a great hearing, i try and so far i think i need more support,
    nando

nando, Oct 30, 2008
  12. nando

nando nando

there must be a way that we can bring back the enthusiasem for people as well as youngters to the hi-fi world, i wish we could all get together one day and discuss this matter,, involving this great forum,
    nando

nando, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question