A case of miffed fish ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Nov 16, 2003.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

wadia-miester, Nov 16, 2003
  2. wadia-miester

Robbo

Maybe it's time Mr Slop has something to say;)

Robbo, Nov 16, 2003
  3. wadia-miester

quickie

O Dear..........now everyone knows;)

Paul.

quickie, Nov 16, 2003
  4. wadia-miester

penance Arrogant Cock

Hmm, kinda smacks of a stitch job.
    I just lurk on PFM, but recently J&J does seem to have had a one mane campaign against Avondale, well at least he has a friend now:rolleyes:

penance, Nov 17, 2003
  5. wadia-miester

cookiemonster

His last post was a bit of a stinger. Naughty

cookiemonster, Nov 17, 2003
  6. wadia-miester

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

not a nice place PFM at times it seems. I like zerogain! :) :)

bottleneck, Nov 17, 2003
  7. wadia-miester

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

This is the first thread that has gone west for some time, pfm has a pretty tight AUP that the moderators and I do our best to keep to. All forums have sticky patches, there has for instance been some absurdly childish behaviour here on ZG recently but it would never stop me wanting to visit as I really like the place. Please don't hold this one thread against pfm, its a friendly place where all (non-troublemakers!) are welcome.

Tony.

PS Tone, no need to use the IP address any more, the early problems with the www.pinkfishmedia.net URL have been totally resolved for months now.

TonyL, Nov 17, 2003
  8. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

We are all guilty of childish behaviour at times, aren't we Tony (L)?

The Eclectic Eric character on the Mana side did a lot of damage.

The Devil, Nov 17, 2003
  9. wadia-miester

Agreed, I should never lowered myself to retaliate to the deliberate trolling on pfm from by a Mana fanatic under the same name that started it all. I admitted what I had done and publicly apologised, and unlike both the others concerned have not put a foot wrong since. I learn from my mistakes where others repeat theirs every three weeks or so.

No offence intended but you and Marco have done Mana more harm than everyone else in the online world put together. The Mana forum has been reduced from being a serious contender to little more than a series of childish squabbles and subsequent apologies. It is ruining the brand's credibility. Why John hasn't got so fed up with it and canned it is beyond me - It used to be a really great forum. I am absolutely determined not to let pfm go the same way.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 17, 2003
  10. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Tony, I've been off the Mana forum for some time, I agree that there has been a lot of squabbling there, and there is one common factor - Marco - I've simply not been involved recently.

Funnily enough, he was the cause of the Eclectic Eric fiasco, too.

If you think that my enthusiasm for Mana supports is damaging the brand image, I'll desist.

At least I'm not sanctimonious. I fully admit to burning Marco's tail on occasions.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2003
    The Devil, Nov 17, 2003
  11. wadia-miester

PBirkett VTEC Addict

[​IMG]

PBirkett, Nov 17, 2003
  12. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

Very constructive. Appropriate avatar too.

The Devil, Nov 17, 2003
  13. wadia-miester

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul, did your vocabulary fail you?:confused:

penance, Nov 17, 2003
  14. wadia-miester

PBirkett VTEC Addict

A picture speaks a thousand words :D

PBirkett, Nov 17, 2003
  15. wadia-miester

notaclue

Curious! It seems that mentioning Mana in hi-fi forums is a bit like mentioning Mac.. opps! the Scottish play in acting circles.

Oh well, I suppose we should all just be greatful that the legendary 'valve casualty' lim_valve was not a Mana user.

notaclue, Nov 17, 2003
  16. wadia-miester

Marco

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by TonyL

No offence intended but you and Marco have done Mana more harm than everyone else in the online world put together.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony - no offence taken. I appreciate exactly where you're coming from, but I would dispute that whatever (arguable) harm I may or may not have done is no more than that caused by, for example, Vuk and others I could mention.

I know you will disagree with me, but I can only comment from my own experience, and Vuk's abrasive, antagonistic behaviour and patronising attitude in the infamous stand wars of the past was a major contributory factor towards why I used to be so unfairly critical of Mana. I also know other people who were initially put off Mana because of him and others with a similar attitude, so perhaps you should also take this into consideration when apportioning blame for what you perceive as being harmful to Mana.

quote:
    The Mana forum has been reduced from being a serious contender to little more than a series of childish squabbles and subsequent apologies... It used to be a really great forum.

Tony, I think you're allowing some nostalgia to influence how accurate you recollection is of events. In my opinion, how great the Mana forum used to be will depend on your experience. Whilst there's no doubt that there were (and still are) some excellent contributors on the Mana forum, in my past experience before I became a Mana user, it was little more than a gang hut for an accepted few; and very cliquish - but it was far from the only forum like that. To the outsider, it was sometimes even hostile. Anyone who wasn't deemed to be 'suitable' was soon hounded out. I can think of quite a few people who were subjected to that kind of behaviour, although some were more stubborn than others.

However, all this has changed since most of the clique I referred to appear to have acknowledged the fact they no longer have it all their own way; some have left for good, and this I believe has given the Mana forum a different 'flavour' from the past. After all, forums are evolving things, and it's only natural that new blood comes in to allow for natural development. All new members (with the exception of trolls hiding under a pseudonym) are now welcomed instead of in the past being quite often treated with disdain, and the discussions are rather more open-minded and varied than before.

Of course, this is all in my opinion, and I know some will see it differently.

Regards,
    Marco.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2003
    Marco, Nov 19, 2003
  17. wadia-miester

On the group of online forums I frequent there is a style of absolutism that seems unique to a minority of Mana users. There is a real arrogance involved; i.e. you either love it or you have set it up all wrong and are an idiot – there is no middle ground. This to me is the problem, and the reason I now attempt to steer clear of all discussions about stands – I have plenty to say on the subject, but just can't be bothered with the fights and personal attacks that inevitably follow. This is down to just 4 or 5 people, and IMHO does a great disservice to the many Mana users who keep well out of the flame wars and just enjoy their records.

Only the other week there was someone who started a thread there only to be accused of being a troll within a few posts, the thread was something to do with cables IIRC. There are other threads relate to personal squabbles that really should never have been given a public airing on any internet forum. The Mana forum is a manufacturers site and a manufacturer who deals directly with the public at that. In my opinion this kind of hostility does not give a good impression to any new punters that may be lurking (I understand forum stats and there are usually 4 or so lurkers for every registered user) – I wouldn't allow this kind of nonsense at pfm and I don't even have any products to sell!

The thing I can't work out is where all the anger actually comes from – why does this one product bring this out in a minority of people? I've never remotely understood brand loyalty – things are things, I just buy what I like regardless who makes it, if I hear something I like better and I can afford it I buy that instead. As an example you are known for liking Harbeth and Spendor (as do I), yet no fights have ever been started on any internet forum for that viewpoint. To me Mana is no different, it's a product worth trying and forming your own opinion about, I don't see the need to ram it down everyone's throat, let alone criticising people when they choose one of the many alternatives. There should be no self elected 'brand ambassadors', just people who use it and are either happy or not with it.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 19, 2003
  18. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

"why does this one product bring this out in a minority of people?"

I could say because it knocks everything else into a cocked-up hat, but I won't anymore.

Cheers,

James

The Devil, Nov 19, 2003
  19. wadia-miester

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Marco to casual outsiders the mana forum has stratisfied even further thanks to your conversion from metal hater to metal lover.

Undoubtably you are proud because it proves that in the end you do have 'clout'

Until you are banned of course.

garyi, Nov 19, 2003
  20. wadia-miester

Excellent, no need for the many of us who disagree to say 'bollocks' then...

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question