A good room!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Purite Audio

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Over the last couple of weeks I have been experimenting with an active room correction box, I always thought I had a decent room, it is a good size pleasant proportions, it has carpet curtains sofa bookcases the usual.
    My horns don't particularly interact with the room, I had been playing around with some acoustic foam .
    The first measurement of the room was very revealing , I had a major bass suck out on both channels at around 90hz, anyhoo to cut to the chase, the improvement in sound after the 'correction' has been far more substantial than only other change to my system.
    Also there appears to be no negative aspects to the sound post correction ,and when you take the correction out of circuit wow, not nearly as enjoyable, I have now the best sound I have ever enjoyed in my room.
    I would advise everyone to measure their room and treat in whatever method you believe necessary!
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Dec 8, 2010
  2. Purite Audio

titian

Hello Keith

could you show the diagrams before and after the treatment?
    Have you also measured the RT60 and ETC?

At which position have you done the measurements?

titian, Dec 8, 2010
  3. Purite Audio

T Hi I will take some photographs of the various screens, Trinnox supply you with a four capsule mic of their own design, it is possible to take multiple readings and 'weight ' them, I have just taken one measurement from my head position.
    I have been looking at the various commercial solutions available, my concern has always been that while the machine would correct the room, it would leave it's own signature on the sound.
    The early room correction systems I listened to ,had a dead lifeless quality, this one seems to be completely transparent .
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Dec 9, 2010
  4. Purite Audio

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I take you are importing these then Keith?

wadia-miester, Dec 9, 2010
  5. Purite Audio

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

It sounds really interesting Keith - can you please lend it to me (and Si) as we are both open to such things. I know you have been critical of active room correction in the past so I guess this is pretty good.

Is it very expensive?

YNMOAN, Dec 9, 2010
  6. Purite Audio

The Trinnov is the best I have tried, they make their own boards , it's all 64 bit floating point!!!
    They said their ADC DAC were exceptionally good and I agree, I haven't been able to improve the sq by adding an external DAC, there appears to be no digital artefacts just a hugely improved sound.
    Room, speakers and an amp that drives them properly, then source of your choice , I put everything through the Trinnov, I did suggest they add an an async USB data transfer protocol.

Keith.

7. Purite Audio

titian

Maybe one thing we should say clearly because the thread title is quite confusing:
    it isn't the room that is good (gets fixed) but the electronic signal will be modified to compensate the room's deficiencies.

titian, Dec 9, 2010
  8. Purite Audio

T Hi, I guess it is always going to be a combination of active room correction and physical acoustic treatment, but giving me back my bass in those missing frequencies is cool!
    Keith.

9. Purite Audio

Mark Hi, yes I will post it up, I will be interested to hear your opinion, you do realise that it is in circuit all the time, and that means plugging your turntable into it, and that means turning your precious analogue signal into digits and back!!!!!!
    Go and make a strong cup of tea and have a bit of a sit down.
    Very Best,Keith.

10. Purite Audio

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

So is that - 'yes, I'm sending it over' or, 'no, stop mentioning it'?

YNMOAN, Dec 9, 2010
  11. Purite Audio

Yes I am sending it over, you have read the last sentence? ( of my previous post)
    vb Keith.

12. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

Sorry to 'jack' the thread, but do you (Keith or anyone else) think the market is about ready to accept a high-end speaker system that has a digital crossover? It would need to be a bloody good one of course, but you seem to think people will be willing to digitize their whole systems into this Trinnov thing.

How about you Titian, must the signal path be 100% analog, or is it okay to convert to digital if it's a top end ADC and DAC?

Tenson, Dec 9, 2010
  13. Purite Audio

Simon Hi, you don't have to use the digital crossover feature, although Ralph (Cessaro) is working on an active Beta ,with digital crossovers and active room correction, he says he would only release it if it is better than the semi active he produces currently.
    Most of the systems I visit are often hamstrung by a poor room, often the owner is unwilling or not allowed to use acoustic treatments.
    Improving your room is the single biggest upgrade you will ever make.
    Keith.

14. Purite Audio

titian

I was never technic dependent. I would just get that what sounds superbly for me, independently from the technical concept behind it.

The problem for me is that at the moment I wouldn't have money to buy anything new.
    Also I really don't think that there much to be improved in the sound now.
    The last point is that I'm getting to that age where you start thinking not to stay alive for so much longer. Why spend too much if you'll not be able to take profit completely of it. And anyway the ears are not getting better...
    :D

titian, Dec 9, 2010
  15. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

Hi Keith, I was meaning generally, not specific to the Trinnov. However, as you know, to use the room correction on a vinyl source it must be digitized. Obviously you are okay with that, and since you sell the Trinnov, does it mean to say you think the market is ready to accept that too?

I'm a big fan of digital crossovers but have avoided them in my commercial designs because I thought most people wouldn't accept them on the principle of ADC/DAC. Maybe that is starting to change finally.

Tenson, Dec 9, 2010
  16. Purite Audio

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Mark, I have the feeling we'll have to drive down to collect all this stuff form Keith. ;-)

sq225917, Dec 9, 2010
  17. Purite Audio

In the hairdresser-mobile?
    Keith.

18. Purite Audio

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Not if we intend to bring anything back with us other than the smell of Elnett hairspray and a bad back..

sq225917, Dec 9, 2010
  19. Purite Audio

Will there be time for Mark to give me a trim?
    vb Keith.

20. Purite Audio

nando nando

i think that there is no such thing as a perfect room, there never was, it does not exist, forget measurements, deal with acoustics on the hi-fi you love to use, and speakers are the most important issue.

nando, Dec 9, 2010
Ask a Question