a little help please on going active

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yahoodie elbow, Aug 29, 2005.

1. yahoodie elbow

yahoodie elbow valves,mmm loverly

i have a pair of royd apex`s and they are biamped via 2 linn lk280`s.

i have long known the royds can be made active, and it says in the instructions:

" active: unplug 4 wires from the back of the speaker. connect bass amp to yellow and black sockets in cabinet back. connect tweeter amp to red and blue sockets in cabinet back. crossover frequency of amplifiers should be 2700Hz to 3500Hz. no equalisation is required."

does this mean i do not need any form of active crossover, just plug the speaker cables in from the power amps as it says???

yahoodie elbow, Aug 29, 2005
  2. yahoodie elbow

Garmt

No, it means you should use a crossover in said range. However, I doubt that it doesn't matter which frequency exact to use and that the slopes don''t matter either. If you don't know exactly which slope/x-over freq. you should use, do not do it!

Garmt, Aug 29, 2005
  3. yahoodie elbow

so could i use a naim snaxo configured for use with the royds or a linn tunebox??

yahoodie elbow, Aug 29, 2005
  4. yahoodie elbow

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yes, but a tunebox is just a box with power supply. You'd have to get suitable linn cards to fit it, and then you're back to the same question.

SteveC, Aug 31, 2005
  5. yahoodie elbow

it looks like ive sorted it now, thanks for the help everyone :)

going to get a naxo 2.4 with a flatcap.and get naim to configure it for the royds.

job done. :)

yahoodie elbow, Aug 31, 2005
Ask a Question