A small favour to ask.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 23, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am launching a site about Music in Manchester in a few weeks time (maybe Early August due to a holiday).

The site will be fully data drive, I am working on the code at the moment. I am going to have a list of Manc bands which i am working on at the moment.

However I don't know much about Oasis, The Verve, Elbow and the Stone Roses so I wondered if anybody could write no more than two paragraphs about the bands for me. I will do the rest of them such as Joy Division, 10CC, Hollies etc.

Thanks.

amazingtrade, Jun 23, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

AT

Good luck with the site :) It would probably help if you were MOre specific i what you wanted. Do you mean like a short history/introduction?

MO!, Jun 23, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

Just an example this is the one I have written about Joy Division:

In the late 1970's the music scene was dominated by Disco and Punk there was little in between. After meeting at a Sex Pistols Gig, Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris (joined slightly later) decided to formed a band. They advertised for a lead singer for the band and by pure stoke of look Morris's old school mate Ian Curtis applied. They called the band Warsaw. A few months later local DJ Rob Gretton had discovered them and was a huge fan, he became their manager and signed them onto Tony Wilson's record label Factory Records in which Gretton was a director.

Their first album Unknown Pleasures was released. It was a raw affair which captured the imagination, it was bleaker than punk but some how much less aggressive. Tracks such as Shadow Play, She's Lost Control and New Dawn Fades standout. The album didn't chart that well but it sold a few copies. Joy Division were more of a cult band playing in clubs than a chart act. They were soon highly regarded by the music press and it seemed they could do no wrong.

Ian Curtis had started suffering from epileptic fits and this made the stage performance quite unique. Joy Division recorded their second album Closer which featured a lot of synthesisers, the overall sound was much more bleak than Unknown Pleasures. Unfortunately Ian Curtis committed suicide in 1980 before the album was released a day before he was supposed to go on their American tour.

The remaining band members went on to form New Order, however Joy Division have influenced plenty of modern artists such as U2 and Richard Ashcroft.

4. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

AT the internet could be your oyster. You could research them if you wanted to

lordsummit, Jun 23, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

Yeah I had thought of doing this but it would be hard to write anything pasionate about bands I don't know much about. If I don't get any response I will just write my own. I do have plenty of reference material both on the web and in print.

6. amazingtrade

analoguekid Planet Rush

AT you might get more response on the Music section?

analoguekid, Jun 23, 2004
Ask a Question