A tale of woe: cartridge recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by madscientist, Jul 31, 2011.

1. madscientist

madscientist

Hi Guys

Well great start to the weekend.. i managed to break the stylus off of my beloved Ortofon Quasar (MC30 supreme) cartridge...b*gger!!! A quick phone call to the insurance company has put me in the market for another cartridge. Firstly does anyone know where i can get another MC30 supreme? or secondly can you recommend a similar replacement in the £300-500 price bracket?
    Yours with no vinyl tunes at the moment

Paul

madscientist, Jul 31, 2011
  2. madscientist

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

Audio Technica AT33PTG/2 is probably the class leader for your budget, though I actually think it a superb cartridge regardless of cost. Good clean, neutral performer with superb tracking and not fussy about arms or loading.

Import only though as not a UK model.

I'm on my second :)

RobHolt, Jul 31, 2011
  3. madscientist

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have just seen this.

http://www.hifi-phono-house.com/Ton...sic/Ortofon-MC-30-Supreme-Classic--12081.html

I don't know anything about the company but may be worth a check.

They have stopped making the MC30 Supreme.

Ortofon did an exchange scheme on their cartridges. Not sure what the deal is mow but I have seen this for the Orotofon Rondo Bronze

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Ortofon-Rondo-Bronze-MC-Cartridge-On-Exchange/product_2002

Another option is to ring round a few dealers to see if they may have some of the Kontrapunt range in stock.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 31, 2011
Ask a Question