A/V amp with best room eq?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by McShads, Dec 23, 2008.

1. McShads

McShads

I'm looking for a budget A/V amp which features the best room eq system.
    I need this due to less than ideal speaker positioning (ie wall mounted) to retain domestic harmony!

I'm looking as I have purchased a blu ray player and my current amp (Pioneer AX10i-S) has no way of compensating for the SW -10db output level (via anologue) of the blu ray. (Unless anyone knows different?) The blu ray has to be connected via the anologue outputs as the amp does not have HDMI.

Anyway as I'm loath to spend so much on an A/V amp again, as it will probably be obsolute in a few years, I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck (up to £500) that has the best room eq feature and either has the facility to boost the SW level on anologue inputs or (better) supports the new HD sound codecs, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD.

The amp that springs to mind is the Sony STR- DA2400 ES but I have no idea how good the Sony room EQ system is against the Audyssey system used by Denon or Pioneers MCACC.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.

McShads, Dec 23, 2008
  2. McShads

D Louth 77

Hi Mcshads

Hope you are keeping well

Av amps I would sped a little bit more and go for either the Denon AVR-2309 or the Yamaha 863 se .Either of these will be a lot better than the ones you have listed.
    Sony play silly buggers with their power specks ( DIN ) rather than RMS. So whatever figure is quoted it is a lot lower like take of about a third for RMS . Pioneer amps are quite bright and forward .

What speakers did you go for ?

I reckon the Denon and Yamaha are as good as it gets below £ 600 both are fairly musical and make DVD's a joy as will they of Blue Ray discs too. I have a Denon amp and a Yamaha onre neither bang up to date but they are very good the Denon has a nice degree of weight and scale and the Yamaha is a bit lighter (not lean or bright ) in its touch, both excellent IMHO. I would not look at Sony, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon or Pionner. I know what the Mags say but Denon and Yamaha are best IMHO.

Regards D Louth 77 :)

D Louth 77, Dec 23, 2008
  3. McShads

McShads

Hi DL

I went for Quad 9L for the fronts and Quad L-ites for the surrounds. Phantom centre. They are small enough to be domestically acceptable and are more like a "proper" speaker than the "lifestyle" options. I'm pretty pleased with them, decent sound and cheap too.

Thanks for your thoughts on AV amps, they all seem so damned complicated. If it wasn't for the SW level issue I would keep the one I've got!

Regards
    McShads

McShads, Dec 24, 2008
  4. McShads

McShads

Update: Just discovered I CAN adjust the SW level for the multi channel anologue inputs.:) I must have read through the manual 2-3 times over the last 2-3 days and I've only just spotted it.:D It is just a footnote at the bottom of a page:confused:
    Anyway it means I can keep my existing amp, at least for now.
    Merry Christmas

McShads, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question