A Visit to Margolis Towers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Well I spent a very pleasant afternoon over at Steve's place trying out various amps and turntables to go with the Tannoys I recently acquired for the attic room setup. Also had a listen to his Nonsuch speakers and Little Awsome subs and to his experimental wallmounted speakers in his kitchen.

Steve has an entire garage full of old decks, I'm not joking. Regas, Garrards, Systemdeks, Thorens, Lenco - all in various states of repair (or disprepair), but a bit of an alladins cave anyway. And a cupboard under the stairs full of old amps as well.

On the attic system front we settled on a Thorens TD160 and for the amp after trying out an old Rogers (A75? L75?), the famous Sugden A21 (very nice) and a few other odds and sods, I left with an old (ie pre Richers and pre china, St Ives built) but rather nice Cambridge P110 amplifier. Nice bit of kit and sounding very good with the Tannoys. Plenty of features, sweet sound and built like its a solid lump of cast iron.

As for the Nonsuch and Little Awsomes. They were gorgeous. More compact than I'd imagined and looking very lovely. It would be a very fussy other half who would reject these. Steve says that they are primarily designed for acoustic, classical, jazz that kind of thing - and what I heard was lovely. Utterly realistic sounding vocals. On the other hand they made a pretty good fist of some Bob Marley we chucked at it as well - the sub woofers (which would make quite nice little stools as well :) sending the bass right through the floor.

Oh the little experi,ental wall mounted speakers were very interesting as well. Quite amazing what you can get out of just one little 5cm full range driver.

Uncle Ants, Jun 22, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I enjoyed your visit too. I was really impressed with the sound - cold and out of the box - of the Cambridge P110. I'm glad that I've still got a P60 which was it's little brother. A far cry from anything that goes under the Cambridge name nowadays.

I'm sure that you'll get the TD160 turntable to sing too. There's plenty of upgrade advice available on the web. If you ever get to upgrading the arm you know where to come. :)

I think your Tannoys have potential too. An application of matt black spray paint (or a sack) wouldn't go amiss but they seem to bop along quite happily.

Enjoy.

7_V, Jun 23, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Well the attic room - currently filled with a mountain of junk - is getting cleared this weekend and then I'll be in a position to set everything up and have a play with the Cambridge and Thorens. Looking online, possible tweaks to the Thorens seem endless - should provide hours of fun, I'm sure.

Them Tannoys "sure is ugly". Mebbe one day I'll have to think about putting them in some cabinets that'll do the drivers some justice (I'm signing up for woodwork classes at the local college :) ).

Uncle Ants, Jun 25, 2004
Ask a Question