absence makes the heart grow fonder

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Dec 27, 2003.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

since xmas eve i've been out of the house at daybreak and back in quite late so i've not been able to listen to my kit for about 3 days or so. whilst out i've been exposed to sound reproduction of varying quality from awful boom boxes to crap phillips tv's. this morning i actually got a lie in and ambled downstairs to stick on nitin sawhneys chill out mix. bugger me but it sounded good. all those things you take for granted about hi-fi reproduction in the true sense of the word rather than in the dixons sense of the word suddenly snapped into focus again like they do with the best box upgrade.
    if you get the chance take a holiday away from your hi-fi and then rediscover it on your return. of course i'm used to listening to my kit for most of the day so the effect is probably very pronounced with me but it may be worth a try if you're strapped for cash and want to get that 'upgraded' feeling once again. all you need to do is listen to shoddy sounds for a few days.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 27, 2003
  2. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

last summer my amp broke and I was without music for about 5 weeks.

know how you feel mate.

hope you had a great x-mas

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 27, 2003
  3. julian2002

skp574

Was that a compilation? I have all but one of his albums and like his work.

skp574, Dec 29, 2003
  4. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

scott,
    here's a link to it on amazon.. at 4.99 it really is worth a punt even though it's only sawnhey doing the mixing rather than remixes of his tunes (which i suspect was what you were thinking)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...7186/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-0585601-0577409

to be honest the mixing isn;t all that great but the tunes are seriously chilled out if you like that kind of thing.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 29, 2003
  5. julian2002

skp574

Cheers Julian,

The track listing sounds good, will give it a try. At 5 quid I can't go wrong.

Have you got any other similar stuff in your collection?

I love dZihan & Kamien, have you heard any of their tracks?

skp574, Dec 29, 2003
  6. julian2002

dunkyboy

I'm currently in Florida visiting family, and by the time I get back (10 Jan) I'll have been away a full month. I am sooooooo ready to listen to my system again... It helps that I upgraded to ATC Active 20s three days before flying out - kind of a sneak peek to bring anticipation to a boil...

It also helps that my mum's system is a cheap, plastic Sony all-in-one DVD 5.1 sub/sat system.......... sigh.......

I also discovered a secondhand CD store in Sarasota that was going out of business, so everything was 40% off of already low secondhand prices - and with the dollar-pound exchange rate at its current level, I've been getting some incredible deals! Just have to wait to hear 'em properly...

Bring on the ATCs!

Dunc

dunkyboy, Dec 30, 2003
  7. julian2002

Heavymental

When I was in the states I couldn't get over the prices for 2nd hand CD's. I didn't have much space for them but bought back a few for silly money. I buy quite alot of 2nd hand stuff and have never had any probs but my usual shops charge between 5 and 8 quid. In the states I was picking them up for 2 or 3 quid. Well worth a bulk buy if your over there.
    HM

Heavymental, Jan 3, 2004
  8. julian2002

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi there.

Hope you all had a good x-mas and New Year.

We decided (in our wisdom??) to move house in November, the system was packed mid October and is still in boxes, unfortunately this new place needs a fair bit of work and its not pratical to set it up at the moment, so I have to listen to my wife "beat box", got no CD's unpacked, no DVD and I'm getting very stressed about it. I can't see it being much before March until the building works are completed and we can start unpacking, next time I have one of these "great" ideas, will someone tell me to get my head checked out?

I am looking forward (with some trepidation) to setting it up again, its going to sound completely differnet that I do know, becuase the room is different, but I'm worried its not going to be good, which is going to mean more money spent correcting it. oh well,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2004
    lhatkins, Jan 3, 2004
Ask a Question