Acoustic Energy AE2 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinC, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I've just come across an ad. for someone local to me selling a pair a AE2's for £400, which I'm slightly tempted to check out. Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm considering them as a possible upgrage for my AVI Pro-Nines.

Cheers,

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2003
    MartinC, Dec 16, 2003
  2. MartinC

Mr_Sukebe

Never heard a pair of twos, but I understand they sound like a bigger pair of the ones, which I most certainly have dem'd.

I'd happily state that the ones were the best pair of small speakers I've ever heard. If you were happy to drive them hard they really came alive and would be a match for just about anything I've heard. The only drawback I'd put with the ones were that at lower levels, they were somewhat flat and lifeless.
    Maybe the twos would be better, but I still can't see them doing the bizz in the same way as a bigger pair of speakers.

So really I'd say it's down to your musical preferences. For rock, definitely, give em a go.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 16, 2003
  3. MartinC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I had a pair of AE1s also.
    Its important to get the extremely weighty and impressive matching stands with them.

To me, the AE1's were near field monitors, and thrived on Krell-like power delivery. Not so hot in a big room (Near Field Monitor again).

If you like clean clear and concise and have a powerful amp and sit no more than 8 feet from them, worth a listen IMHO

bottleneck, Dec 16, 2003
  4. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'll have to check if the guys selling stands too, but probably not I'd guess. You reckon they'd suffer on my Atacama SE24s then?

My power amp's an Audiolab 8000P, so not sure how that would fair. I do though have a pretty small room, and although I'm moving soon it will probably stay that way so nearfield listening it will be.

Sounds like they might be worth a listen at least though...

MartinC, Dec 16, 2003
  5. MartinC

Alex S User

I'm still using original AE1s driven very well by a Densen DM10 - they need big current and if you've got that they can sound fine at low level. Sadly, the 2s were not in the same class - stacked AE1s is the way to go!

The 2s use the same mid/bass drivers - make sure the rubber surrounds are in good nick before buying - they perish every 10 yrs or so and you then need new drivers, which aint cheap but are at least available although they're a later version.

Alex

BTW heavy, sand filled Atacama or Partington type stands will do fine instead of the dedicated ones.

Alex S, Dec 16, 2003
  6. MartinC

quickie

The roll surrounds are foam and they are prone to suffer from rot.
    Even if they look ok now,they could have a limited life depending on their age.
    When I contacted AE a while ago new Bass drivers were £125 each+vat,and they won't repair just the surround.

Paul.

quickie, Dec 16, 2003
  7. MartinC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The stands are superb, and well worth getting for anyone with small standmounts.

Dont know enough about the SE24's to comment, sorry.

The Musical Fidelity Electra E100 (80w p/ch integrated) I had at the time wasnt man enough for the job with the AE1. They were designed with high current studio use in mind as you probably know. Suck it and see I guess with the 8000P?

bottleneck, Dec 16, 2003
Ask a Question