acoustic masterpiece am201 by air tight

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Jul 8, 2009.

1. peez

peez

hi all,

any users who can report their findings - looking for a valve amp to replace my sugden a21a, also considering a prima luna dialogue 2, so around the 2k mark

who is the distributor for air tight in the uk, as google doesnt seem to to come up with much.

peez, Jul 8, 2009
  2. peez

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Jul 9, 2009
  3. peez

Alan Sircom

The words 'Air Tight' and the sum of £2,000 do not seem to sit comfortably together, but I might be wrong. Air Tight has always been justifiably expensive (due to the hand-built nature of the stuff, the quality of that build and outright sound quality), and I think you'd be looking at something nearer £6k for an integrated amp from A-T:

http://www.audiolincs.com/wtsnew.php?cat_id=1&prd_id=192

In addition to the P-L amp, the Leben CS-300XS comes in at about £2,500 and a Consonance Cyber Signature 10 is about £1,600. And there's the Pure Sound A30 to consider, too.

Alan Sircom, Jul 10, 2009
  4. peez

Viva

This is the cheaper "kit" version with Tamura irons. EL84 pp.
    Much cheaper in Japan, if you can live with a voltage converter.
    I have not heard this particular one, but the Air Tight sound is a softer more mellow tone.

If you rip out the Sprague caps and go to Jensens, things brighten up.

Viva, Jul 10, 2009
  5. peez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The Leben is a good shout. I have seen used Shindo EL84 amps at around the £2k mark.

Equally, I have seen Border Patrol amps (used) at this price point. This would be my own personal preference.

I have not heard this individual amp, and could not comment on it. Reading on the web, it appears to be made to an 'Air Tight Formulae', but not specifically hand made by Air Tight's people.

I am a big fan of the EL84 tube, after the (expensive) 300B, it is the tube that I love the most. It is nice to see it being used by the above companies.

bottleneck, Jul 10, 2009
  6. peez

peez

Thanks for that, i will look into the suggestions, i remember walrus did stock the a.m201 and liked it, partial chinese production but to a.t standards - air tight on the dial on the front :) for about 2 to 2.5 K
    i like the look of the p/l dialogue 2, as i use an 834p with volume , so thought the home theatre pre amp by pass may come in handy for lp, so its becomes a power amp for that, and integrated for c.d & l.p.

peez, Jul 10, 2009
  7. peez

Viva

Still in Walrus basement as of last week.

Viva, Jul 11, 2009
  8. peez

Viva

Viva, Jul 11, 2009
Ask a Question