Acoustic Simulation for TonyL

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Tony recently got some MEG RL904 speakers which sit rather high on their stands. Although he likes the sound they have a bit of bass boom so this is a simulation to see what can be done to improve that.

Original Positioning
    [​IMG]

Optimised Positioning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tenson, Aug 30, 2012
  2. Tenson

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Thanks very much Simon, I'll have a play with that, though I have to admit I couldn't live with it aesthetically!

TonyL, Aug 30, 2012
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I don't see why, your original plan has the speakers just as far into the room, this just sets the left one back a bit.

Tenson, Aug 30, 2012
  4. Tenson

Dev Moderator

I agree with with Tony. I like symmetry. Having one speaker out more than the other would bug me.

Dev, Sep 1, 2012
  5. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Having boomy bass would bug me more ;) Asymmetry is a neat tool for spreading out the resonant modes. I don't personally care if it looks a bit quirky, in fact I often like it.

I thought Tony's room was pretty much dedicated to listening so I was surprised it mattered to him, but he said on PFM that the right-hand speaker would stop him accessing the records on the shelf behind as it is further to the right of the room.

Tenson, Sep 1, 2012
  6. Tenson

RobHolt Moderator

It would bug me too, perhaps because it's different to how I've set things up for a long time - and it's what we see and experience all the time.

it would take me a while to adjust!

RobHolt, Sep 1, 2012
  7. Tenson

Dev Moderator

I had issues in my room and for a while had toed in one of the D700s more than the other to improve imaging. After a while it bugged me too much and I moved it back to the original position. I don't listen to music as much as I used to, so it doesn't matter any more. In fact there are times when I want to sell it all:(.

Dev, Sep 1, 2012
  8. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

That's a shame Dev! Perhaps you just need a more 'fuss free' system? I certianly understand how the pursuit itself can get in the way of the enjoyment. Obsessing and whatnot. You just need to get Spotify and some active speakers that 'rock!'.

I used to like hearing different kit and playing with tweaks. Now I just want it to work and sound great every time. Although I enjoy making things too, that is a different passion really. I'm working on making a cartridge at the moment. Do I need one? No, not at all in fact I sold all my vinyl to a charity shop. I like the challenge of making something good though.

Tenson, Sep 1, 2012
  9. Tenson

Dev Moderator

My loss of love for music has nothing to do with the quality of my or any other HiFi. It's just a change of personal circumstances. I still plan to make a pair of cabinets for the DMT15 drivers that I bought a while ago. I enjoy making things too :), but I'm not in the same league as some of the more serious enthusiasts here.

Dev, Sep 3, 2012
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Hi Dev, I didn't mean that an active system would sound better, just that it doesn't leave room to think about adjusting things, so you are left to listen to music. I'm sure you still enjoy music, but perhaps 'hi-fi' is no longer something you want to spend time on?

Tenson, Sep 3, 2012
Ask a Question