acoustic zen or chord indigo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifinutt, Sep 9, 2007.

1. hifinutt

Jimbo

Well England win 3-0 again and Led Zep reform and i only get two responses in the music section. Just about says it all for Zerogain. Thats two highlights today so now i'm putting the icing on the cake for me, i am going to say farewell as others have done i am sure, from the negative members with negative views.

This thread as many others has gone the same way, nowhere, as is Zerogain. There are some good hearted members on here, and gone who i thank for their help and advice, namely one in particular, Zanash who has spent conciderable time in helping me and my hifi. I do hope the moderators dont delete this post as it is my strong view and perhaps of other members. I could go on but i dont want to spoil any more of the arguing. If you wish to contact me Pete for any meets or bake offs i would love to come and see and chat with the positive members. Cheers Jim.

Jimbo, Sep 12, 2007
  2. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

Sorry, but that reaction is just plain daft.

If you don't like a thread or the argument within it - don't read it!. Why do people feel the need to throw hissy fits and threaten to leave?
    I take it as a sign of weak personalty, or more likely, argument.

Ok, some of the language has been a bit 'off' but IMO the recent arguments have actually injected a bit of life back into ZG.

RobHolt, Sep 12, 2007
  3. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

Bye Jimbo.

Stereo Mic, Sep 12, 2007
  4. hifinutt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Rob at your proposed cable bake off, what would we have to do not to appear a pratt, the cables will 'sound' quite differently to each other just through differences in LCR won't they? Or do you expect there to be no difference whatsoever between cables?
    Would we have to pick out 'our' cable every time?

Purite Audio, Sep 12, 2007
  5. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

I'll use an amp with 500K Ohm input impedance and drive it via a 50 Ohm source. That will neatly level the playing field WRT LCR effects.

A simpler away, and one which skews the advantage in favour of the believers is to pop the cable under test into the tape loop and compare to a direct feed. This is easy to perform and you should be able to detect it as you are inserting a cable, phono sockets and a switch into the signal path.

You just need to be able to reliably detect the presence of a cable in circuit, be it a freebie or £1k Nordost.

RobHolt, Sep 12, 2007
  6. hifinutt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Sounds pretty reasonable, will the cable in the tape loop affect gain at all?

Purite Audio, Sep 12, 2007
  7. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

No, active tube pre amp, transformer outputs with passive tape loop.

RobHolt, Sep 12, 2007
  8. hifinutt

sastusbulbas

Already sounds messed up..

sastusbulbas, Sep 12, 2007
  9. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

Surely they move to another forum and choose another name? Your exposure is limited by your overheads - or total lack of them in this instance.

Both proport to offer the buyer something science and controlled testing says they don't.

In my field I have yet to have a client ask for their money back and most have been clients for at least 5 years. Touch wood it stays that way. Money back guarantees are proven sales winners - and returns figures in the UK show just what a reticent race we are. It's also a legal right of every customer to get their money back if they want. It annoys me that internet sellers make a virtue out of their legal requirement. People should check distance selling regs before saying how wonderfully fair some people are.

My view provides value. The real world is rarely as entertaining as the fantasy one.

I'd love to see a home trial system where the person gets to try the demo product for 10 days then HAS TO send them back, wait 5 days, then place an order if they still want to. Wonder how much of a safety net that might turn out to be.

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  10. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

When did you hear it?

RobHolt, Sep 13, 2007
  11. hifinutt

sastusbulbas

:D

sastusbulbas, Sep 13, 2007
  12. hifinutt

cooky1257

Wouldn't it make to sense not to hold a cable bakeoff on a system where the owner is from the 'no difference' camp?
    If he says he can't hear any cable differences then I take him at his word ie maybe over that system indeed you can't.
    A more productive bakeoff would be over one of the 'yes' camp systems -again because I unlike some here take them at their word too-let them demonstrate it..

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2007
  13. hifinutt

Dev Moderator

A valid point but IIRC no one from the yes camp volunteered.

Dev, Sep 13, 2007
  14. hifinutt

mr cat Member of the month

I'm not sure - I'm questions etc are normally ignored anyway...hence thats why I post less and less and very rarely start any new threads on here anymore...

I thought perhaps it was because I'm a northerner but I'm not too sure now... :D

mr cat, Sep 13, 2007
  15. hifinutt

sideshowbob Trisha

Now there's a surprise :)

I was thinking of a test along Rob's lines too, if Zanash provided the cable. A couple of believers, a couple of non-believers, and somebody in the middle, a CD player with two outputs, one using Zanash's cable, one using any other cable(s) people suggested, including a freebie, and a reasonably controlled single-blind test regime.

I don't think it'll ever happen with a cable manufacturer's support, however. But there's nothing to stop it being arranged with a selection of cables owned by forum members. I have been a part of such tests before, and they teach you a lot about what you can and can't hear, how much is in your head and how much is really audible. I think some people here would find it an interesting experience. It us, after all, simply a case of setting things up so you are only using your ears when listening, something everyone keeps saying is the most important thing...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 13, 2007
  16. hifinutt

zanash

can't think why that would be can you ?

People need to understand that actions have consequences ....

Who's going to invite someone round if they've just abused or ridiculed them on a forum ....? even less likely is it that they would go anywhere near the perpetrators let alone lend them any kit.

zanash, Sep 13, 2007
  17. hifinutt

Dev Moderator

Yet again Pete, the abuse was from both sides. Regardless, I know what you mean and agree that it'll be difficult, but not impossible, to arrange such a test. There are always people like me, who occupy the middle ground when it comes to cables. However, you need to be able to prove your viewpoint if you are to win the other side over.

Dev, Sep 13, 2007
  18. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

Zanash,

YOU need to understand that WE are generously giving you the opportunity to prove your claims to us, and therefore avoid any criticisms and so called "ridicule" in future.

We don't have to waste our time - but Rob is generously giving up some of his to give you a chance. A little short sighted to throw it in his face don't you think? Particularly if you want to keep posting here without being challenged?

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  19. hifinutt

cooky1257

Trouble is the 'no' camp can just sit through any test and say erm..."no" whereas the 'yes ' camp can't sit there saying "yes" as they could never be certain a cable has been changed......interesting conumdrum that.

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2007
  20. hifinutt

Baudrillard

I could bring a Chord Anthem IC and some Signature cable I picked up cheaply.

Baudrillard, Sep 13, 2007
Ask a Question