acoustic zen or chord indigo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifinutt, Sep 9, 2007.

1. hifinutt

Baudrillard

Would it really matter?

We might want to use the same amp with 500K Ohm input impedance, driven by via a 50 Ohm source- between rooms- only if available, of course.

OK, it will take a bit of effort. But my friends and I regularly put on parties here in East London shifting Klipshorns and large heavy 15" vintage Tannoys to and from the venue every time in a lorry- so I'm sure moving an amp will be within our capabilities ;)

Bake-offs are fun anyway.:)

Baudrillard, Sep 13, 2007
  2. hifinutt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

two identical amps, two identical cd players two identical sets of speakers....

better still a cd player (for example) with two outputs.

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2007
  3. hifinutt

cooky1257

Well that's the spirit it should be conducted in though I must say the only ones sweating will be the 'yes' camp.
    There's absolutely no pressure on the 'no' camp which was the essence of my previous if methodologically challenged post.
    I can hear the cries of "statically insignificant", "proves nothing", "the sample is too small" already so apart from a bit of fun it will do nothing to calm this forum down.
    I can't believe I've become so jaded so quickly:cry:

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2007
  4. hifinutt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

exactly cooky.

Re-inject the fun into the topic, have a laugh. Obviously its not a scientifically conducted experience, so wont be of value in that regard, but that's not the reason, surely?

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2007
  5. hifinutt

ADPully

Would the Amps most likely be Valve or SS?
    And how would the cables to test be selected?

Has anyone any thoughts about which cables should be compared?

I would say as long as some cables that the B's consider reasonably "different" as used there is some pressure for the NB's

What about if all the mains cables interconnects and speaker cables in the sytem could be changed
    one a freebie set the other say a £1000's worth?

I agree with Baud.. Its more difficult to "zone in" to music in a crowd.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
    ADPully, Sep 13, 2007
  6. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

Shouldn't worry too much about "zone-ing in" Andy, just look in the reviews section

Hey, surely it's gonna be a piece of cake;)

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  7. hifinutt

Baudrillard

It won't 'prove' anything as such but it should hopefully enable each participant to gain worthwhile insight.

I'd just repeat what I said earlier, that it may take 2/3 sessions to unwind. Would be good for the same people to do it each time IMHO. At least the Londoners will be within easy travelling distance.

8. hifinutt

Baudrillard

So Mike, are you now saying that believers must hear 'huge' differences between freebies/ very cheap cable and more expensive cables/ wanky stuff to prove that there is a difference?

9. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

No.

I don't claim huge differences, massive improvements, and jaw dropping results that smack me in the face. Others do that.

If anyone can reliably pick out one cable from an electrically similar one under controlled conditions then they will prove differences exist. The bigger those differences are, the easier it will be for the participant. According to some of the reviews on here recently, it really shouldn't be a problem. Should it?

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  10. hifinutt

sideshowbob Trisha

So do the test. I did this kind of thing about 5 years ago. It liberated me from cable wankery, for all time. This is why I don't understand the resistance from some people. Either way, the result tells you a lot about what you can really hear. This is useful information, nothing to be worried about unless you sell cables and the result goes the "wrong" way.

I am perpetually amazed by the unwillingness of most audiophiles to test what they can and can't hear. Once you've done this, solving the problem of achieving good sound, in the interests of listening to music in high fidelity rather than arsing about swapping things for the sake of it, is really straightforward.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 13, 2007
  11. hifinutt

Baudrillard

Ok. Glad we cleared that one up- you had me worried for a minute.

So, we need to gather together a small collection of electrically similar wires. I'd suggest starting with freebies, on to those used in studios, such as van damme, and up another price level and so on. I'd suggest we set the wank ceiling at Chord Signature and Townshend Isolda. That would be sufficient for me, personally.

...anyone got any Townshend Isolda?

David.

12. hifinutt

Baudrillard

I hear you.

13. hifinutt

Baudrillard

Andy. Much better to dance IMO. ;)

Don't mind 'listening' to music on my own, though, or with good friends early on a sunday morning. :rolleyes:;):)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  14. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

I've got some lying around but you are going to struggle to find an electrically identical speaker cable I would imagine.

Anyone fancy measuring the LCR's?

One of THESE could almost have been invented for the Zerogain test. Shame it's so expensive...

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  15. hifinutt

Baudrillard

Agreed. If we could find something like that, it would be useful.

Yeah forget about the Isolda.

16. hifinutt

cooky1257

I'm off down to WilliamHills-gotta be worth a pony:)

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2007
  17. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

This really need not be complicated.

I am claiming that nobody on this or any other forum will be able to detect the presence of the most expensive cable on the planet in circuit when compared to a direct feed. I make the same claim for a freebie cable of the sort given away with £100 CD players.

I've performed this test (unsighted) with a variety of cables with folk from ZG & PFM and to date nobody has been able to identify any cable in circuit. I have also performed sighted tests where I've pretended to use an expensive cable (ie it wasn't actually connected...) and had folk hearing improvements. So, my position on cables is crystal clear :)

I also agree with Ian in that once to prove to yourself that this cable business is just a load of old nonsense you actually feel liberated. You probably feel anger at first if you've fallen for the marketing bull but that soon passes ;)

RobHolt, Sep 13, 2007
  18. hifinutt

Stereo Mic

No it was a joke. I just thought the manufacturer's name was apropriate.

Stereo Mic, Sep 13, 2007
  19. hifinutt

RobHolt Moderator

Just seen it...

:D

RobHolt, Sep 13, 2007
  20. hifinutt

sideshowbob Trisha

Does anyone remember the IT company Wang? They were very big in corporate computing in the 80s and early 90s. Their customer services dept was called... Wang Care.

They're not in business any more.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 13, 2007
Ask a Question