Acoustica: Alarm Will Sound perform the music of Aphex Twin

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Dec 11, 2005.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I spotted this when out and about yesterday.

20 Piece acoustic/classical band doing aphex tunes!

There's a few samples here http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=18487

There's been discussions here before about how the classical fans view the likes of Aphex.

There were a few concerts a while back where the London Sinfonietta were doing stuff with Squarepusher. https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=3451
    They seemed to be very well recieved.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone who has head it thinks.

Been added to my christmas list.

MO!, Dec 11, 2005
  2. MO!

Mr.C

I've got this one, being a a big fan of both classical and Aphex Twin this was like some dream come true. Alarm Will Sound don't shy away from a challenge either, tackling some of the more intense tracks from Drukqs (including the bit where Tom Jenkinson aka Squarepusher says 'Come on you c*nt, let's have some Aphex acid!') , as well as classics from SAWII, I Care Because You Do, Richard D. James Album and others. I think my personal fave is their version of Fingerbib, it really puts a smile on my face :D

The whole album is amazingly well done, and must have required some real imagination to translate from the electronic to the instrumental, and it is a real success. It needs a few listens to get into it properly, but then all the best albums do. Certainly one of the best albums of 2005 (since it's that time of year :) ).

Mr.C, Dec 12, 2005
  3. MO!

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Boomkat have it listed as 'Out If Stock' but it's on ebay for about a tenner. I'm broke so I'll have to wait but the samples I've heard sound like top entertainment

johnfromnorwich, Dec 12, 2005
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Got this for xmas! Great stuff!

I couldn't stop smiling listening to this, and as Mr.C says, they've not ducked a challenge!

Great great stuff!

I'd love to see them do this live.

MO!, Dec 31, 2005
  5. MO!

aquapiranha

I like the sound of the samples even if I am not really familiar with aphex twin. It is a shame that "classical" artists have to cover new stuff, rather than coming up with "modern classical" music themselves - if that makes any sense to anyone...

aquapiranha, Jan 4, 2006
  6. MO!

blakeaudio

i would argue that richard james is a modern composer anyway.

blakeaudio, Jan 11, 2006
Ask a Question