Acoustics - interesting sites

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Decca, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Decca

Decca

Decca, Jul 19, 2003
  2. Decca

Robbo

Decca,

Interesting links. I'll take a more in depth look when the effects of the wine I drunk over dinner have worn off:D

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jul 19, 2003
  3. Decca

andyoz

andyoz, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Decca

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Only slightly connected but I went to the lo0cal village fair today and spent some time listening to the brass band - moving left, right, back and forwards with my eyes closed, I'm sure they thought I was bloody mad.

Anyway, of course open air acoustics are different to concert hall as the reflections are virtually irrelevant. Still, what I noticed was:

a) stereo imagery was extremely important to the overall effect and was very stable (watch out flat-earthers).

b) as I moved away from the band the volume decreased but the high frequencies decreased even more. The cymbal-thing on the drums sounded very different depending on how far away I was.

Thought I might mention it.

7_V, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Decca

Tom Alves

So once again we notice live music is a very different beast from the controlled, created, recorded and mixed soundworld of studio. You can't hope to recreate the live so you might as well attempt to get the most of the recording

Tom Alves, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Decca

merlin

Ah, you'll have been dancing then Steve ;)

Good fun isn't it - but not something brass bands are renowned for encouraging down our way :)

merlin, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Decca

joel Shaman of Signals

Dancing

I suggest you try Fanfare Ciocarlia from Roumania. They are a gypsy brass band and bloody awesome in a Django Reinhardt meets Turkish percussion at mach 2 kind of way :)

joel, Sep 19, 2004
Ask a Question