Active and Passive Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Labarum, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Labarum

DrMartin

I'd agree with that. They were the control room monitors in the recording studio where I worked back in the late 1970s and were superb. I've never heard anything since that came close.

Having said that, I haven't really had the opportunity to listen to many high-end systems in the intervening years.

Martin

DrMartin, Mar 7, 2010
  2. Labarum

mick parry stroppy old git

Yes

Sub woofers are second rate, an after thought by incompetent and unimaginative speaker manufacturers who are unworthy of the name.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Mar 7, 2010
  3. Labarum

Labarum

Labarum, Mar 7, 2010
  4. Labarum

muz640

Thanks Mick for your constructive contribution!:rolleyes:

muz640, Mar 7, 2010
  5. Labarum

Labarum

It's all right Muz. Mick calls himself a "Stroppy Old Git".

These need no (extra) subwoofer

[​IMG]

http://www.royaldevice.com/customita3.htm

Labarum, Mar 7, 2010
  6. Labarum

muz640

Yes i know he does it for laughs, he's crafted himself a very fine comedy character, i doubt a comedy writer could come up with something so consistent and believable. ;)

muz640, Mar 7, 2010
  7. Labarum

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

A single mono sub has to be seen as a compromise, inevitably it adds phase error as it's position is a variable. There are other issues too, e.g. in most cases the small midband unit (bass-mid if you must) in the satellite is still attempting to handle bass frequencies so will no doubt be distorting at anything beyond moderate levels. Subs only really make sense as a stereo pair located physically beneath the satellite and coupled via a high-pass filter, and if you are doing that you may as well build a decent three-way or wide-bandwidth two-way from the off IMO.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 7, 2010
  8. Labarum

muz640

I did write subs in my bit on monitors and subs, a high pass does help the monitors handle dynamics, and your totally right unless it is designed as a system phase/timing errors can cause all sorts of problems.

These new über actives that have cost a few quid and a few years to develop are very impressive, made me think in a different way about what is possible from a smaller speaker (smaller to me anyway, everything is relative!:))

muz640, Mar 7, 2010
  9. Labarum

RobHolt Moderator

Agree entirely with Tony on this.
    Just adding a mono sub to a small two-way might improve the overall performance but as a solution it represents a fudge.

Effectively, what you should be doing for best effect is properly converting a two-way into a real three-way. This gives benefits all round by extending LF, improving maximum SPLs, lowering distortion, and avoiding the phase issues if implemented correctly.

This is difficult to do with universal application. You really should know and understand the parameters of the existing speaker in order that the bass speaker can integrate properly.

RobHolt, Mar 7, 2010
  10. Labarum

Chaps

So the concensous is that sub woofers are a second class option.

We all seem to agree on something at last.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Mar 7, 2010
  11. Labarum

muz640

Bob Katz (not to be confused with bob cats) might disagree.
    In fact he mastered one of your favourite albums "The Words of Gandhi" which won a Grammy

Properly set up they work well and are comparative to many large speakers.

Have you heard a system done this way? No of course you haven't. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
    muz640, Mar 7, 2010
  12. Labarum

Muz

Of of I have heard systems with a sub woofer and yes they all sounded second rate.

If you want a good sound out of any system, go for the biggest speaker your wife will allow.

Regards

Mick

PS Stop being so bloody argumentive

mick parry, Mar 7, 2010
  13. Labarum

Jimbo

I've just found some 12" monitor golds in the loft which i bought in the early 70's. Just hooked them up roughly with some tape as the bananas wont go in the bare wire connector. They do sound very good actually and they are only on the floor as they are just the chassis, no cabs.

Jimbo, Mar 7, 2010
  14. Labarum

ovalmarc ovalmarc

Well said that man.

ovalmarc, Mar 10, 2010
  15. Labarum

Joe Petrik Denebian Slime Devil

Agree 100% with what Tony wrote.

Last year I bought a pair of new compression drivers -- i.e., spares from the original equipment manufacturer -- for my 52-year-old speakers.

I bought the speakers because I like them, but knowing that the manufacturer supports a product decades after it was manufactured was the icing. I doubt I would have bought them if they weren't still supported or serviceable.

-----------

I find this obsession with actives elsewhere to be a bit odd. It’s not that I think active speakers and systems don’t yield any tangible practical and theoretical advantages. They do. It’s just that active is being seen de facto as a sign of quality and passive as a sign of inferiority. To me that’s as misguided as saying that no speaker, apart from a dual concentric, can reproduce a complex waveform correctly.

Joe

Joe Petrik, Mar 12, 2010
  16. Labarum

Labarum

I fly to Cyprus in ten days and have been told my consignment of boxes is awaiting delivery to the bungalow.

I am particularly looking forward to being reunited with three old friends - a pair of MB Quart floor standing loudspeakers and a fully refurbished Quad 405-2 to drive them.

I hope they survived the journey.

Labarum, Mar 12, 2010
  17. Labarum

Joe Petrik Denebian Slime Devil

Perhaps something of interest -- an entry from Ashley J's blog --

Both the active and passive version of the ADM9.1 first played a 100 Hz tone.

I had to adjust the verticals on the graphs because even though the scales were the same the Y-axis was stretched for the passive plot. I also colour-coded them (red passive, blue active) and superimposed the graphs best I could, so the comparison is easier.

[​IMG]

The active plot is better, but apart from the peak at 300 Hz I'm not seeing a huge difference between them. The distortion components are mostly 50 db below the signal, which may not be audible in the average room.

Here are the superimposed plots for the active and passive ADM9.1, this time with a 3 kHz signal. As before, I've colour-coded the plots  red is passive and blue is active  and superimposed them.

[​IMG]

Again, the passive plot (red) is worse, but the distortion components are mostly 50 db below the signal, apart from some peaks. However, I see that the signal is considerably higher for the passive ADM -- it's at ~+7 db vs 0 db for active one, so all distortion components for the passive version may be ~7db higher across the board. If you drop the signal by ~7db the plots probably are less different, but I would imagine that the active is still better.

The question is whether the reduced distortion translates into a real subjective difference.

I'd be interested in knowing what you make of the active and passive plots and the subjective difference that a listener might hear.

Joe

Joe Petrik, Mar 24, 2010
  18. Labarum

Paul Ranson

Hey, Joe*, I wouldn't trust those plots further than I could sketch them.

Paul

*Random play has Jimi sound-checking at the Albert Hall.

Paul Ranson, Mar 24, 2010
  19. Labarum

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Interesting to note the passive plot was published at a larger image resolution so looked bigger on the page and appears to be 7db louder than the active one. I wonder what possible motivation the manufacturer of an active speaker could have for presenting information in this way?

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 24, 2010
  20. Labarum

Markus S Trade

300 hz is nowhere near any frequency where a passive crossover on the woofer should have any influence, least of all cause a distortion peak. It'd be interesting to see how exactly that passive crossover was done. It would also be interesting to know whether we're comparing apples with apples, i.e. if the box and drivers were identical between the two measurements.

Markus S, Mar 24, 2010
Ask a Question