Active valve pre for a WAD 6550

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Oct 24, 2006.

1. johnfromnorwich

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi John

At the price/build level - you'll have little to complain about.

You will get neutrality, detail, clarity.

Active pre's give more gain - more push, power etc.. but at the expense of the above.

I could easily live with one, and would welcome the absolute silence it brings, even into 97db speakers.

bottleneck, Jan 25, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

The clarity and 'absolute silence' was one of the selling points. I do get some noise off the WAD when it's idle, although curiously I don't notice anything when listening to music, even at very low (late night) levels on CD. No idea whether this is physics or a psychoacoustic effect but I was keen not to add to it. Plus, since the WAD 6550 was originally sold with a pot as an option and is relatively sensitive, I figured that going active was probably a bit overboard.

Next: Some serious speakers....

johnfromnorwich, Jan 25, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

bottleneck, Jan 25, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

Dik Dolan

The glasshouse tvc is a great kit. After building one for my brother (he uses it into a cyrus power amp) I had to have one for myself. I just finished making it an hour ago and into my glasshouse 300b amp it's lovely. I'm sure you will be very happy with yours John.

Dik Dolan, Jan 26, 2007
  5. johnfromnorwich

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You haven't lost your sanity again have you? Hmm. I've been messing around with Passive preamps with some help from Zanash into my WAD k5881. Very nice sounds to be had indeed. What is surprising so far is, all other things being fairly equal, how different, different volume controls sound.

I want to try out a TVC and a few other Pots but so far its quite clear that an Alps blue pot sounds quite different from the Dale Vishay stepped attenuator. The Stepped attenuator just gets it for soundstage and detail, but the Alps Blue Pot beats it by a country mile for sheer listenability and silky smoothness, the stepped being a bit strident at the top (could be a burn in thing,but if so burning in 23 separate steps is just too daunting a prospect :) ). Like I say, some pricier pots and maybe a TVC next. Talking of pricey pots ... I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260079873569&aglr=1

An Alps, but not as you know it. Apparently what's fitted to the Kondo Preamps ... blimey.

Uncle Ants, Jan 26, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

Yes indeed, my sanity has dissapeared (some would say years ago!).

There's an interested party already at ZG, if anyone else is interested 2nd dibbs and 3rd dibbs are still available.

Ebay will happen early next week, so if anyone's reading this and wants them.. they'll have to be quick.

bottleneck, Jan 26, 2007
  7. johnfromnorwich

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

If you want a valve preamp get an Audio Valve Eklipse. They retail at over £2000 but second hand is possible, they don't come up that often, people keep them but when they do they can come in at at around £grandish and very well worth it - infact I have one in my own system

However. . . .

I too like tvc passive preamps.

larkrise, Jan 27, 2007
Ask a Question