Add 8000DAC to Marantz 63KI or Replace KI with 8000CD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mattykhz, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mattykhz

mattykhz

That's my dilema. Any thoughts?

Have 8000A and recently acquired P biamping Kef 103/4s.

If I get a 8000CD to replace the Marantz it will match the rest of lit and will enable me to sell on the Marantz. Or get DAC to add to my Marantz if that is even better.....

mattykhz, Apr 13, 2006
  2. mattykhz

ditton happy old soul

ditton, Apr 13, 2006
  3. mattykhz

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The DAC will mean that most of the KI modifications are "lost" as the 63KI will act much as a normal 63 when used as a transport.

I-S, Apr 13, 2006
  4. mattykhz

zanash

yep......its the dac and output where all the extras were done on the 63ki......

you need a vrds based transport to get a longway ahead of the ki....assuming its in tip top condition. Though the ki must be getting on in life. I've not heard the 8000cd but if the family of sound is the same as the rest of the range ....it could be rather analytical in comparison with the ki.

zanash, Apr 14, 2006
  5. mattykhz

eisenach

I had a 8000CD and liked it. It worked even better into a TAG DAC20! I'm not sure getting one second-hand would be a brilliant idea, though, as they're bound to be getting a bit long in the tooth, and I can't see it would be a significant upgrade on the Marantz, probably just a bit different.

eisenach, Apr 14, 2006
  6. mattykhz

ditton happy old soul

the weakness is the pre-amp in the 8000a. if you plan to continue with audiolab, and you have just invested in the 8000p, then pick up a s/h 8000s. as indicated earlier, I happen to have one of those I could part with but there are always some for sale on hififorsale.com and ebay.

ditton, Apr 14, 2006
  7. mattykhz

mattykhz

I am going to see how things go amplification wise but was wondering if my source could be improved, which is why I was asking in relation to the cd and not amps really.

Anyone have experience of audiocom who seem to offer mods for the 63 KI. Think the TZG mod is a bit much but like the sound of modular mods like the superclock 3.

Not too keen on the VRDS as had a VRDS7 before the Marantz which was very picky with CDs and not very reliable.

Whole idea for changing the Marantz for an Audiolab is to improve aesthetics and hope for a better matched system but do not want something that is to analytical. Perhaps the Marantz is warmer and best updating that with some mods?

mattykhz, Apr 18, 2006
Ask a Question