advice for big denon

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr fish, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mr fish

mr fish

i recently purchased a denon pre and power combo(pra 1200 pre and poa 2400 power)second hand, i understand the pair to be at least 12+ years old
    my problem is that with my current loudspeakers(mission 752) the sound is somewhat 'hard', is this a function of the pairing or have the amps drifted out of spec, er bias or something!!

mr fish, Jan 25, 2008
  2. mr fish

Tenson Moderator

Without eliminating other factors it could be anything. Was your system hard sounding before you switched to these amps, or is this a new system for you?

Tenson, Jan 25, 2008
  3. mr fish

Neil

Was the Denon combo unused for a significant time before your purchase and ........ what speaker cable are you using?

Neil, Jan 26, 2008
  4. mr fish

rollo

Could be several things. One is not being played in a long time may require some run in. The second obvious one is the synergy between the speakers and amp.
    The third may be tough to swallow as most early Japenese products were hard sounding. Epecially if your using a CDP.

rollo

rollo, Jan 27, 2008
  5. mr fish

mr fish

thanks for the response, on closer examination it would appear to be a mismatch. a few people have told me me loudspeakers are very 'lean', a funny thing though(well, for me) even when driving hard, the power amp gets only slightly warm. in fact the pre gets hotter!!!

mr fish, Jan 29, 2008
Ask a Question