Advice fro experienced sellers please

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Donut, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Donut

Donut

I've just received the following from an advert on hififorsale.com. It doesn't quite sound right to me.....

With thanks i acknowledge the reciept of your mail and the contents were well noted...I am happy the item is still available forsale and also the price you placed{£375} is really okay with me....I am ready to give you an extra offer for £75 inclusive the cost price to assure the sale to me and forget other buyers...

Also, i already have my shipper aware on coming over to your place for the pick-up arrangement,so you don't need to worry about the shipping as i have that well organised for...It will be done as soon as you have gotten your money so nothing to worry about here...

Finally,i will oblige you to send me your Full name and address include your contact phone number so my Banker can have the payment issued and be sent to you immediately...

I believe i can trust you on the sale as i am buying here online for the first time and i hope it all goes well for both parties...

I strongly await to read from you ASAP to proceed on the sale and round up in good faith...

Regards and God bless you

Any advice?
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Apr 17, 2005
  2. Donut

markabuckley

Donut - sounds very dodgey to me .... just shouts "scam" to me - but thats just my opinon !

Mark.

markabuckley, Apr 17, 2005
  3. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

Its a scam, sounds like a nigerian.

tell him you are interested, get his info, then report to scotland yard

what happens is they pay the cash, seems ok, you send your stuff, suddednly the cash vanishes from your bank.

what the banks don't say in reality, it can take 30 days for cheques to totally clear. ask them, keep asking until they admit it.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Donut

Rory satisfied

i've had a couple of emails like that...closely followed by the delete button

Rory, Apr 17, 2005
  5. Donut

Anex Thermionic

This is currently on the front page of Hififorsale:
    Seller Beware

Warning: If accepting cheques, proceed with caution, and only ever accept the correct amount. One 'scam' currently in operation is to send a cheque for a much greater value than the sale price, and then to provide a commission for cashing the cheque.

Sounds like one of those, tell him to shove it.

Anex, Apr 17, 2005
  6. Donut

Donut

Cheers guys - I thought so. In the bin with that one then :( :(
    Donut

Donut, Apr 17, 2005
  7. Donut

markabuckley

I've never head of these "commision" scams before - how do they work please ? (so I can avoid them)

Thanks, Mark.

8. Donut

Anex Thermionic

Lt Cdr Data explained that further up. You avoid them by not excepting cheques from people offering to over-pay you, simple.

Anex, Apr 17, 2005
  9. Donut

pidge22

Basically what happens is they send you a cheque for 5k for something for 3k ask you to give the balance to their shipper and send the item after 7 days allowing the cheque to clear...problem is that a foreign bank can take over 14 days before you know its bounced.
    In the meantime you have sent the goods and given them the balance!
    There are other clues... I once advertised some M&K speakers and had someone called Samuel after them from the Usa...they are half the price over there so I knew it was dodgy.
    Best advice is if in any doubt do not sell to them...
    Anyway anyone who finishes an Email with "God bless you" sound well iffy to me!!!!!!!

Pidge22

pidge22, Apr 17, 2005
  10. Donut

markabuckley

Thanks - will certainly avoid those then ....

I've a different problem with Ebay at the moment - guy bought a NAD CD player off me (even though I said post to UK only - he was in France) - he's paid me in full and still hasn't come to collect it - and it's been a year so far !

Mark.

11. Donut

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I got one of these after one of my cameras. I gave them the address to send the cheque to as 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, DC20500. They didn't seem to get it...

I-S, Apr 17, 2005
  12. Donut

Anex Thermionic

Theres another one where they ask you to wire them the 'change' too! :rolleyes:

Anex, Apr 17, 2005
  13. Donut

sideshowbob Trisha

I've had a couple of these too. My stock response is something like:

Neither of them wrote back, oddly.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 17, 2005
  14. Donut

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ian thats a bit polite for you

I string them along for a bit, and then use lots of sweary words to ensure they get the message, and they usually do, tell him to Fcuk off, it's an international saying, so no language barriers.

analoguekid, Apr 17, 2005
  15. Donut

Davewhit

You have such a way with words AK you should be a mod ;)

Davewhit, Apr 17, 2005
  16. Donut

analoguekid Planet Rush

Nah Dave I'd put myself in the rockers group, mods wore silly parkhas and drove around on weedy scooters with hairdryers for engines :)

17. Donut

Rory satisfied

just got another email:

Warmest Greetings,
    The am Jeremiah smith from UK but currently holidaying in Monaco, i saw the online advert by you selling the above mentioned consingment on the subject box and i want to buy it from you. Kindly let me know the present condition, price and send me the pics of the consingment if available. My method of payment is with a UK£ GUARANTEED CERTIFIED CHEQUE that can be Cashed in any UK bank within 10 minutes you're with the cash. So if you're willing and ready to sell to me kindly send me the name you want the Cheque made payable to, the FULL ADDRESS the Cheque will be send to & Your phone number in order for me to instruct the Delivery of the Cheque to you as soon as possible. I wish to hear from you soonest. Thanks & Regards.

*sighs*

Rory, Apr 17, 2005
  18. Donut

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tell him you'll wait till he comes home from holiday, and you'll deliver it personally as you travel a lot with your job, and collect UK Bank of England Certified bank note only (ie cash money) on delivery, then tell him to take a flying fcuk at a rolling doughnut.

Ps tell him you'll need a cheque for £100 to clear first before you proceed, and you'll knock this and a wee bit more off the final bill :)

19. Donut

Anex Thermionic

'Jeremiah smith' LMAO. It had to be smith didn't it. He sounds so english, 'the consignment'

Anex, Apr 17, 2005
  20. Donut

midlifecrisis Firm member

I'm currently waiting for $50 gazillion dollars to arrive in my account from an exclusive Nigerian dead tribal chief oil executive army general bankruptcy Government overorder thing. When this clears I will not worry about losing a few quid to petty scammers ..

midlifecrisis, Apr 18, 2005
Ask a Question