Advice needed on selling to Indonesia (with apologies)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Nov 16, 2004.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Your advice would be much appreciated, guys.

I have received an enquiry from a man in Indonesia who wants to buy some Seventh Veil speakers. He says he has a dealership out there called "Stereo for U" and his name is Heri Kurniawan.

I did a quick Google search and it told me that 'Heri Kurniawan' was the name of the suicide bomber who died in the attack on the Australian embassy in Jakarta. Naturally, I was a bit suspicious so I wrote to my Heri Kurniawan, asking him how he planned to transfer the money to me - credit card - and whether 'Heri Kurniawan' was a common name in Indonesia - yes (subtle, ain't I?).

I don't want to be scammed or ripped off but I don't like to turn down orders either. What do you reckon, guys? Is credit card payment safe if I take payment through PayPal?

Does anyone know this dealership in Indonesia?

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
    7_V, Nov 16, 2004
  2. 7_V

gshayer

are you for real?

so this guy has a name like the guy who committed those terrible acts, yet you label him a terrorist? even after he says he aint?

this is quite possibly the most stupidest post i have ever read. so if a steve margolis run over a child, would all steve margolis become 'british child killers'?? (or whatever nationality you are)

gshayer, Nov 16, 2004
  3. 7_V

michaelab desafinado

gshayer, don't you think your reaction is a little OTT? I thought it was a fair question and it's perfectly legit to be doing some background checks. The guy obviously is NOT a terrorist and I don't think Steve, beyond the humorous thread title, implied that he was. However, the guy may well be some sort of scammer who finds it amusing to adopt the name of a killed terrorist. It wouldn't be the first time.

Steve, if you can only accept CC payments via PayPal then it could be dodgy. PayPal payments can be reversed long after the fact and there's precious little you can do about it so it's worth establishing some trust first, especially given the sums of money likely to be involved.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  4. 7_V

Dev Moderator

Considering the number of scams we hear about almost daily, I think Steve is quite right to be cautious.

Edit: Micheal beat me to it.

Dev, Nov 16, 2004
  5. 7_V

ditton happy old soul

... tip toe'ing gently on this but hoping to help ....

7_V, well it clearly can't be the same guy!!

gshayer, I think that 7-V is more concerned about losing money on a possible spoof name.

... tip toe'ing out again, thinking that offence has been taken when none was intended, though could have been better said ...

edit: There is understandable sensitivity by Brits with Islamic background that terrorism and Islamic names are too readily mixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
    ditton, Nov 16, 2004
  6. 7_V

gshayer

i don't think its ott michael. it seems to be that on many forums people say many things in a 'humorous' tone. but sometimes these attitidues display themselves for real in the outside world. why take the piss and not just ask a simple question?

gshayer, Nov 16, 2004
  7. 7_V

Slow down a minute there.

I'm not labelling the man a terrorist (except, I admit, in the thread title but that was just supposed to be an amusing way to get your attention).

We're talking about a transaction of several thousand pounds here, which I can't afford to lose. I'm naturally cautious, especially with the number of Internet scams that happen these days, many from the Far East.

It also so happens that if any British Steve Margolis' ran over a child (heaven forbid), then all British Steve Margolis' would be 'child killers', as I'm the only one.

If that's the 'most stupidest post' you have ever read, then congratulations, you have a life. Because you sure as hell don't spend much time on Internet forums.

7_V, Nov 16, 2004
  8. 7_V

gshayer

guys i am aware of the scams going on, anybody posting on candy has experience of the nigerian buyers wanting to buy the £*** amp with a million dollar cheque.

that was not my point, my point was the way in which it was written no need to make the generalisations.

gshayer, Nov 16, 2004
  9. 7_V

ditton happy old soul

7_V, I suggest that you edit the thread title, now you have all the attention you can handle.

ditton, Nov 16, 2004
  10. 7_V

gshayer

ditton

you hit the nail on the head.

g

gshayer, Nov 16, 2004
  11. 7_V

Thanks Michael. I hadn't realized that PayPal transactions could be reversed but that was one reason for asking the question here. I will arrange to take 'direct' CC payments, if that's safer.

I am also trying to establish trust via email communication but it takes a while, particularly since English is clearly not Heri's first language, although it's better than my Indonesian.

I had hoped that I would find some mention of his dealership -"Stereo for U" - on the Internet but nothing's turned up yet.

7_V, Nov 16, 2004
  12. 7_V

michaelab desafinado

I don't know much about becoming a CC "merchant" (as they're called) but I would imagine it's a great deal safer.

I've changed the thread title at Steve's request.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  13. 7_V

Tenson Moderator

Can you not convince the man into doing a direct bank transfer?

ooor.. what?s that thing you can use on eBay for large payments where they hold the money until both parties are satisfied. That sounds like a good option to me.

Would it be possible to tell him that it is standard practice with such a large first deal to build trust with a smaller deal and then if all goes well you can do the full deal afterwards. Surely he won't be selling all these speakers straight away?

Tenson, Nov 16, 2004
  14. 7_V

ditton happy old soul

on topic: Getting a Merchant Account is the best way if you wish to accept payment by CC, arranged either with your bank (best) or with another recognised bank. the Bank of Scotland has a long track record in providing this facility, but obviously would like an account to be in place.

off topic: good call

ditton, Nov 16, 2004
  15. 7_V

Tom Alves

FWIW I did a google for "Stereo for U" which came up with a private review of some JVC product
    Unfortunately no hi-fi dealerships in Indonesia were mentioned

Tom Alves, Nov 16, 2004
  16. 7_V

ditton happy old soul

As a retail customer, I like to have protection that CC gives me if it all goes pearshaped.

But if this is to be a regular b2b arrangement, then use of CC undermines the margins of at least one of the parties.

ditton, Nov 16, 2004
  17. 7_V

Markus S Trade

That the dealership can't be found on the web is no matter of concern, IMO. It is theoretically possible that the Indonesian customer is an end user who tries to "disguise" himself as a dealer so as to get a better price.

The only issue Steve really has is security of payment.

Markus S, Nov 16, 2004
  18. 7_V

adam

Think it's got spam written all over it,I know what I would do.'stereo for u' ROTFLMAO.

adam, Nov 16, 2004
  19. 7_V

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Maybe you could travel with the speakers?

Get a holiday out of it :)

MO!, Nov 16, 2004
  20. 7_V

gshayer

all peace and harmony, thanks for the email steve.

gshayer, Nov 16, 2004
Ask a Question