Advice needed re selling large classical vinyl collection

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by horace, May 13, 2007.

1. horace

horace

Hi

A few months ago I did rather well selling off some of my classical cds on this illustrious forum. Now it's time to thin down my classical vinyl. I have decided to sell about 400-500 lps and have thus far got to the stage of buying a large number of record mailers on ebay. That's about it.
    I've had a look on ebay and the thought of listing the lot on there fills me with dread (even with turbolister, I'm going to be listing until Doomsday). Most of what I have is in EX+ or NM condition, but we're not talking about rare collectibles - just good music in fine condition (DG, Decca, EMI, L'Oiseau Lyre etc etc). Quite alot of box sets - Bach passions, concertos, symphonies, various opera and suchlike.
    I'm thinking of listing on here, but am quite unsure about pricing. I thought I'd start at around £1.50 for single Lps and say a fiver or thereabouts for a box set of 4 lps. Postage on top.
    The process is complicated by the fact that I've never got round to cataloguing my classical stuff (all my pop, jazz and blues have been given the full 'Nick Hornby' - several times - to the extent that watching 'High Fidelity' on DVD prompted my wife to jump up from her seat pointing at the telly and shouting 'That's you, that is!').
    So, once I've got a list together, what sort of interest level can I expect here? Mostly the big names on offer - Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart. Some more modern stuff thrown in here and there along with some obscurities. I have catholic tastes, so most musical eras are covered, from baroque (and earlier) up to early 20th Century (my interest in classical music wanes a little beyond that, as I'm a sucker for a good tune and don't much like hunting for them amongst cacophanous brass and people playing cellos with chainsaws etc. Fans of the avant garde will find thin pickings methinks :)
    I've started a list (up to about 75 lps thus far) so I might be better off listing in batches.

Any advice? Is my pricing in the right ballpark?
    Basically, I'm looking to avoid the embarrassment of the sound of tumbleweed blowing gently past as my list sits here, undiminishing.

Reasons for sale: Combination of lack of space in new house and the fact that my wife has calculated that at the rate of 3 lps per day it would take about 8000 years to listen to the whole lot. Or something like that (I had my hands over my ears at that point.). Very helpful, My Beloved......
    Marriage Miles - you can accrue them, but you can never cash them in.......
    Seriously though, I do have too many records and not enough time to enjoy them all, so I must bow to the inevitable.

Cheers

Martin

horace, May 13, 2007
  2. horace

lordsummit moderate mod

Sounds good to me :)

lordsummit, May 14, 2007
  3. horace

dudywoxer Regaholic

why not have a weekly list by composer, I would love the chance to pick up some say Bach on vinyl, so sort your stuff and put so much more up each week, taking out the sold stuff. Failing that list it all on a spread sheet, put it on a shared google spread sheet, then any one can see it on any OS, and e-mail you order.

dudywoxer, May 14, 2007
  4. horace

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I think your pricing is about right - I know from a viny dealer friend however that classical vinyl is notoriously tricky to sell on although it is usually in good nick unlike some rock collections. Anyhow - think best strategy is moving some lots rather than individually - fear thi smay take you a while. I'd be very interested to see a list!

larkrise, May 14, 2007
  5. horace

horace

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll spend the next few days getting a list together and think about listing in batches (alphabetically, if I have time to put it in order).

Thanks again

Martin

horace, May 14, 2007
  6. horace

jacksparks

Pricing sounds good to me. I'd be very interested.

jacksparks, May 15, 2007
Ask a Question