Advice on a new turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, May 6, 2010.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Hi,
    I would much appreciate advice on buying a turntable and have a budget of up to say £2000. I live in West Yorkshire and can travel to hear a shortlist of maybe 5 tables. I would also like it complete with arm and cartridge. My present system is as follows : -
    turntable LP12 with rega rb300 half rewire with heavy rear weight mounted is a goldring 1042, base is trampolin mark 1, valhalla control.
    RIAA provided by Musical Fidelity X-LPS V3
    Interconnect Flashback premium cable
    Amplifier pre Naim 122x and power 150X
    Speaker cable NACA 5
    Speakers Linn Keilidh with Ku-Stone bases
    Music tastes Rock, blues, classical and a small amount of Jazz
    My other hifi includes Cyrus CD8 and power supply, Musical Fidelity A5 DAB/FM tuner, Stanley Beresford DAC for occasional TV concerts.
    My living room is 25 foot x 12 foot.
    So far I am aware via reviews only of Nottingham Analogue Outerspace and a clarity09 table with RB1000 made by www.claro-audio.co.uk

So your recommendations of say 5 tables to shortlist for listening would be appreciated and maybe a local supplier. As a rider also I will consider second hand but has to be a minter.

Regards

Dave

DaveHiFi, May 6, 2010
  2. DaveHiFi

Mark P

You should listen to a Townshend Rock 7 as well.

Mark P, May 6, 2010
  3. DaveHiFi

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Biggest problem is finding a dealer that stocks a wide range of turntables at that price. You have to travel to get to hear a few.

The Townshend 7 is worth a listen as is the Gyrodek. the Gyrodek may be easier to get a listen to.

Audio Republic in Leeds used to do Nottingham analogue decks, not sure if they still do them.

Then Claro deck looks good but I have never heard one. I have seen a static one at a hifi show.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 6, 2010
  4. DaveHiFi

vincula

I like both NAS and Rock a lot. Don't dismiss a Michell or a Roksan table. If you fancy something different, go put an ear to some German tables: the likes of Transrotor, Acoustic Solid, Scheu and Amazon, to name a few, have tables within your budget.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, May 7, 2010
  5. DaveHiFi

pete693

New Turntable

Only an opinion but I can't see the point of going anywhere to review turntables in that price range.Unless that is you are prepared to take with you every piece of kit that you are going to use with the item reviewed and persuade the retailer to build a replica of your own listening room. Surely the differences of the associated equipment used in any demonstration coupled with the listening room acoustics would more than outweigh any differences there might be when you are spending anything like that money on a turntable. If it's not possible to get a unit auditioned in your own home then I am not sure how you can make a sound judgement. As I said ,it's only an opinion.

pete693, May 11, 2010
  6. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Hi all thanks for the comments, I went to Audio Republic in Leeds and Andrew has suggested VPI Classic, NA Outerspace and a ROksan so next week I will have an initial listen. He also does Gyrodek's so I may include that in the listen.
    Dave

DaveHiFi, May 12, 2010
Ask a Question