ADVICE on AMP and Speakers for £300 - £400ish

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lloydsj, Nov 13, 2003.

1. lloydsj

lloydsj

Hi,

Right, I need some advice.

Ive got £400ish. Ideally want to spend less! and I need to get an amp and some speakers. The only piece of equipment that I've already got and that I'm going to keep is a SONY MXD-D3 (CD and MD in same unit). Also I have got some wall mounted speaker brackets, which I would like to continue using... does that mean I can only use bookshelf speakers?

What would you guys suggest? I like a wide range of music.

I have been having a look at...

Speakers: Mordaunt Short 902? Any other recommendations on speakers? Will I be able to use these with wall mounted speaker brackets?

AMPS: Was looking at Marantz PM7200, Sherwood AX4103, and a few of the Cambridge Audio's A5, C500, A1 MK3 Special Edition.

What would be a good match up?

If in the future, I wanted to add some extra speakers or a bass sub, does this mean that my amp would need to have 2 sets of speaker outputs?

Cheers.

Forgive me if I'm asking some stupid questions but I'm new to the hi fi world and dont really know what im talking about.

lloydsj, Nov 13, 2003
  2. lloydsj

penance Arrogant Cock

HI
    welcome to the forum:)

I cant really comment on amps or speakers, but DONT use the wall brackets, whatever speakers you get, put them on proper stands

penance, Nov 13, 2003
  3. lloydsj

michaelab desafinado

If you get an active sub (ie, one that has its own amplification, which the majority of subs these days are) then you don't need a 2nd set of speaker outputs. It's likely it will have a hi-level and a lo-level input. If your amp has pre-outs you could use those to the lo-level input or you could connect the hi-level inputs to the same speaker terminals as your speakers. Many regard that as the best option (and it's what I do).

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 13, 2003
  4. lloydsj

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Out of that list I would go for the PM72000 or the A5 depending on my budget. You may be able to get a PM6010OSE very cheap now.

amazingtrade, Nov 13, 2003
  5. lloydsj

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Personally Id go second hand, and spend around £300 on the amp and £100 on speakers and stands. MAy you'll see someone selling them all together.

An older amp with a bit of juice, and decent second hand but budge speakers.

Ideally something like a Naim pre/power (42/110) - and a pair of tannoys/epos/mission as you like.

Should certainly pee on the richer sounds equivelant

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 13, 2003
  6. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Richers are having their "open box" sale this sunday. On their email it says they've got 24 Marantz 6010 KI Sig amps going for £149.95 each.

MO!, Nov 13, 2003
  7. lloydsj

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I saw an advert for that open box sale but where is it? at local branches?

amazingtrade, Nov 13, 2003
  8. lloydsj

notaclue

On the Richer Sounds web site, you can get pdf documents for each store showing exactly what they have. But a lot of the stuff is ex-service/repaired/things that went wrong but are now fixed etc. and might be marked/scratched etc.

PS I must say that I feel much more at home discussing Richer Sounds (as opposed to Mana and tings).

:)

notaclue, Nov 14, 2003
Ask a Question