Advice on going Active

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Nov 22, 2006.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

I was wondering if anyone has a sketch of how to wire up the following system :
    2 x LK280 Linn Power Amps
    1 x LK1 Pre (this may change but principle I assume is same)
    1 x Tunebox (on the lookout for this item)
    Cards for above
    1pr Linn Keilidh speakers (currently passive)

Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Nov 22, 2006
  2. DaveHiFi

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Sorry, don't have a picture. You wire the tunebox between the pre and the power amps. There must be separate feeds to the speaker elements from each power amp. (Not familiar with Keilidh specifics). If you need more, what is it that you need explaining?

SteveC, Nov 22, 2006
  3. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

active

Hi Steve, what I cant seem to grasp is that the output from the LK1 has 2 XLR's ie one for each channel, which duly plugs into the 2 connectors on an LK280. So in its simplest form I just have to make speaker connections to the LK280. My question is how do I add another LK280 to say bi-amp and then when I get one add a tunebox to the system as you say inbetween the pre and power. Sorry to seem so thick I cant see how to link it all together.

Regards

Dave

DaveHiFi, Nov 23, 2006
  4. DaveHiFi

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Well I've never had either a tunebox or an LK1 so don't be embarrassed - I'm guessing too :) I only have experience with the more recent actives.

Somehow the signal has to be split and sent to each active card and then to the respective bass and treble amps. So with a modern preamp there is more than one set of outputs one can use, or the modern Linn power amps already have a "pass-thru" with this problem in mind, so that the signal can be daisy-chained. In your case there is not, I gather. So one option is to have a Y-splitter cable on the output of each channel from the preamp. But you may find the tunebox does the splitting for you (I don't know, I have never seen one.)

Anyway, rather than speculate further, I think the basic point is that the signal is split, either for you in one of the boxes, or by yourself, if you're unlucky, with a Y-splitter cable. If you first biamp passive, there won't be a tunebox, so whether it splits is moot, and you will have to use Y-cables. I hope this helps :)

SteveC, Nov 23, 2006
  5. DaveHiFi

Paul Ranson

An LK1 has two stereo outputs.

If you use an Isobarik Aktiv crossover then you only use one XLR-XLR cable between an LK1 and the crossover.

A Tunebox will have phono inputs, so you need either a XLR-2 phono or two XLR-phono wired for left and right to connect the LK1 to the Tunebox. And then the normal phono-XLR to connect the Tunebox to the LK280s.

It's worth noting that the LK280 phono-XLR cables are 'handed' left and right, get them the wrong way around and no sound.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 24, 2006
  6. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Active

Thanks gentlemen for that advice. It seems I may be better after looking at your advice and making some enquiries of my own that I could sell the LK280 and buy 2 x LK100's then wait for the cards to come up for sale.
    Regards
    Dave

PS dont know if the LK100's sound as good as an LK280

DaveHiFi, Nov 26, 2006
  7. DaveHiFi

bigwullie

active kabers/lk100/klout

For 8 years I had active kabers running from 3 lk100's which I changed for klouts. Each amp held 2 cards - 1 left channel 1 right- and produced either the treble, mid or bass. Signal came from my Kairn thru line-in phonos in the first amp and then daisy chained using Russ Andrew amp connectors from line-out to line-in in the next amp and so on.

Each amp was connected to the kabers by a pair of speaker cables (originally Linn K600) to the individual drivers - internal crossovers removed from kabers.

Sound was big improvement from passive Kabers and was improved further by replacing Linn cables inc mains leads by Russ Andrews.

At the end of the day I looked at the total investment and decided I could do better and switched to valves - night and day!!

Unfortunately my valve amp fried itself last night just when everything had fallen into place.

In conclusion as an upgrade going active is a substantial improvement but I would question the expense for multi driver units. Once heard Keltiks being driven by 4 klouts and it was immense but the expense!!!

Do you really need a tunebox? lk100/klout accept the active cards internally.

bigwullie, Nov 27, 2006
  8. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Thinking back many years !!! LK100 vs LK280, not much in it, with aktiv cards in the LK100's they would be better... LK280 NEEDS the spark supply to shine... Ideally then a pair of Klouts...
    I have a mate at work looking to sell a pair of LK100's complete with Keilidh aktiv cards.

9designs, Nov 27, 2006
  9. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Active

Thanks guys, yes Bigwullie I will forget the tunebox idea as I have more chance finding Lord Lucan. 9 Designs would you be able to let me know how much your mates looking for the 2 x LK100's inc cards. Im in west yorkshire.
    Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Nov 27, 2006
  10. DaveHiFi

bigwullie

One further point

Don't loose the speaker crossovers as I did because if you come to replace the speakers you can give the buyer of your old speakers the option of passive/active.

My Kabers will be up for sale soon if my Linndealer can track down crossovers. Otherwise they will probably sell as actives altho I still have the active cards and Linn K600 cable. I think they would be easier to sell if the option was there to switch.

Incidentally I think Linn would probably charge their minimum £150 for each crossover if I were to buy them new - not worth it.

Probably best as firewood!!

bigwullie, Nov 27, 2006
  11. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Check your Private Messages :)
    They are available if you want them

9designs, Nov 28, 2006
  12. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Active

Thanks gents for all the inf Big wullie I am happy with the Keilidh's but thanks for the offer. I was wandering if anyone knows how I identify my tweeters as I believe different ones were fitted on later models
    Thanks
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Nov 30, 2006
  13. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

If they have a wire mesh they are god dam awful shite and need updating, it they have 3 vertical bars they are not bad.... after that you need to read the number printed on the back of the magnet...

9designs, Nov 30, 2006
Ask a Question